How vigilant are you about Vigil?

I don’t care it’s 2 influence, I’m going to play the shit out of it in Fisk, alongside Eden Shard and Woman in the Red Dress. Maybe even a DLR suite. Influence could look something like:

2x Vigil ••••
3x Data Leak Reversal •••
1x Eden Shard •
1x Joshua B. •••
1x Woman in the Red Dress ••••

Both WitRD and Josh can be Hostaged, and then you have Fall Guy in faction plus Masanori. Breakers, you ask? centrals would do the job just fine. Don’t care if it’s junk as it seems hela-fun.

3 Likes

So Vigil will replace Spinal Modem or whatever in credit denial decks. It is probably a good replacement for Grimoire in Noise decks, and it’s a good draw engine in straight forward Whizzard or E.Kim decks.

It looks like Spinal Modem and will go the way of the Doppelganger (Desperado’d) for sure, and probably Grimoire and Deep Red too, though they may fit certain niche decks.

Grimoire, if you can spare the tempo, remains an amazing card in a virus heavy deck. Three tokens on an Imp, +1 credits for Cache, Parasites instantly take out ice walls, Medium starts as R&D interface, Crypsis saves a click, Datasucker saves a run… It will still see play in Noise, but I’m looking forward to having a console with no drawback in decks that aren’t so virus heavy.

1 Like

What drawback that Grimoire have?

It’s 3 credits and does near enough nothing in many decks. You don’t need +2 mem a lot of the time. If you do (and you aren’t Noise) it means you’ve probably got a massive rig and have had plenty of time to set up. I’d rather have a card that helped me get to that stage.

1 Like

Tempo hit/uselessness isn’t the same as a drawback. A drawback is what Spinal Modem have, for example.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s fair enough. I just meant it’ll be nice to have a console that does something without a drawback (as opposed to Grimoire, which doesn’t do anything beyond its memory).

I used to say Grimoire was the second best Console in the game. This was before Astrolabe, but I still think it’s pretty good.

I’m pretty sure Spinal will rarely be played after O&C, and I have an aversion to Caissa so I never really think about Deep Red, but I suspect it will go even further onto the endangered species list as well.

Grimoire vs. Vigil is a little interesting. Vigil wins out a lot. If Noise decides to play a console, Grimoire seems nice for the extra Imp counter, but Vigil is cheaper and better.

Once O&C comes out I’m going to be testing Whizzard, E.Kim, and Valencia hard with a 2 SMC, 1 Atman, 3 Clone splash that just aims to be efficient, parasite Ice, and win with Medium digs. Vigil seems awesome in these decks, but I need a Memstrip, Proginator, or (gag) a Djinn to solve my MU problems. Even though I’m only playing 8 viruses, Grimoire solves my MU in two cards, and helps me kill things faster (3 Clone and 3 Parasite yo), and as Dragar said, Medium starts as an Interface. That’s why I’m so interested in theorycrafting how often the draw will happen on Vigil.

1 Like

Played a few games now with Vigil against experienced players. As expected, it rarely fires in the early game if the corp is stable (which is exactly when you need it to fire). It’s still a nice little boost, but not game changing. In my SMC builds, I’m seriously considering going back to Grimoire. Other experiences with it?

I’ve played around a dozen games with Valencia and Vigil over the past week. Here is my experience.

Vigil alone - Easy to play around. Very occasionally draw a free card. For 2 credits, including the MU I think it’s worth it.

Vigil with Itinerant Protesters - Really awesome! With 4 hand size it is much more difficult to play around. I’d say I get the free draw at least half the time. It is amazing how much that one hand size difference changes things.

Vigil with Itinerant Protesters and more than one bad publicity - Over-powered. It is difficult to get to this position against non-Weyland corporations, but it is very strong. Just limiting the corps hand size to 3 or less is really strong, but getting a free draw every turn is incredible.

5 Likes

Theory crafting: Vigil + Laramy. Vigil + woman in the red dress.

Vigil + Leela.

1 Like

I played this to a top 8 finish (5th/6th) this Saturday, losing out to PE. I think it uses Vigil better than you would expect. Also, the link below the list has some changes I’d make to the deck. Mainly, the Spooned’s come out.

Reina Siphon Control v0.1

Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter (Mala Tempora)

Event (18)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••• ••••• ••
2x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
2x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Vamp (Trace Amount)

Hardware (5)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Vigil (Order and Chaos)

Resource (5)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (9)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) •••
3x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/210663

1 Like

Yes, if theorycrafting is correct, Vigil is especially strong in credit denial decks. Looks like a solid Reina list.

This little powerhouse for 2 credits I thought would be good in almost every deck, including SMC anarch. Turns out Grimoire may be the better choice in that build.

Huh, Crecentus does sound like a great influence splash. I had that 3 used with Sneakdoor because Kim. So you just Spoon Lotus, Parasite small sentries or let them eat away at the bigger ones, Eater makes sure surprise Ice at least doesn’t wreak your rig, Siphon into Vamp means maintaining that money pressure. This is reinforced with Reina.

1 Like

That was the theory anyway. Spooned was underwhelming, and so I might play Knight or D4v1d instead in the next build.

One thing I found recently is that Vigil is really good versus Celebrity Gift. At least, outside Cerebral Imaging.

I think out of the 3 cutlery events, Knifed is probably the only good one because of Eli.

Sentries are weak to parasite and code gates are less common.

2 Likes

I think the others have their place when paired with D4V1D, as tools for dealing with bigger stuff (like say a Wormhole).

2 Likes

yeah Spooned is good for Tollbooth and Wormhole,e specially with D4v1d which looks more and more crucial every release

1 Like

Spooned means you don’t have to go out of your way for a Lotus Field solution. That and the slight reduction in the number of Blue Sun decks around (although I still think Blue Sun is the best Weyland ID by a margin).