Information Overload – Understanding Tells in Netrunner

Haven’t read the article yet, look forward to when I get home. Just wanted to say that bantering your opponent when they aren’t interested is poor sportsmanship, IMO. If you mutual bantering is established early, fine. but if you’re bantering just for mind games or to be a dick, IMHO it’s unsportsmanlike. I imagine no one shares this point of view, but I just wanted to put it out there. There is no banter in high level poker. There shouldn’t be harassment/bantering in Netrunner, either.

IMHO
IMHO
IMHO

4 Likes

Definitely. It’s fine to use many things to your advantage to win games, but let’s keep in mind that building a welcoming and friendly community is very important. If new players and even veterans feel like they are jumping into a shark tank every time they go to an event with prizes on the line, they will quickly find other places to game and other games to play.

I want to win games, but I also want my opponent to enjoy the games we play. Some people cannot enjoy a game in which they lose, and I will not compromise my plays in order to keep someone from going on tilt, but beyond that, I try to do whatever I can to put my opponent at ease.

I’ve definitely gone on tilt at the end of a game in which I felt I should have won and luck found me in the alps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUdJ6FdUQ0) but I try to recover my grace and apologize later if possible. It’s understandable to be angry and frustrated by bad luck, and it’s poor sportsmanship to try to take advantage of your opponent just to get an edge.

4 Likes

During your turn, while you are deciding how to use your clicks, an RP opponent might suggest “Run archives run remote?”

I did not realize until reading the article that I do this kind of shit all the time without thinking about it. Apologies to anyone who played me at GenCon or Louisville if it was aggravating. :frowning:

That aside: great article, @chill84, really a fun read. Definitely some things in there I could do a lot better. Lesson learned!

1 Like

I think it is good article, but personally don’t like that shit and never use it.

1 Like

nowday’s ALL good yomi players (that I know ) use random.org (waterD, Deluks, Clannationy, Myself, hugakitten, Redless, Ntillerman vivafringe when he played, Dr.Faustus). I personally switched to just playing the strongest card in my hand every turn, (note strongest is relative to the situation and my hand, it is way more random than it sounds at first) to amusingly high sucesses

What I and many other players concluded in magic was that trying to level people was often a waste of time, So what if you could get a “read” on someone’s hand good for you! I would be willing to play completely face up with my runner deck and show you everything I have in hand and in play. I would be less willing to do so with my corp deck mostly because of ICE and knowing the agenda count in HQ. however for the most part I would be completely willing to play face up with corp as well, it’s just that on the first 2-3 turns, the hidden information is somewhat valueable to prevent the runner from putting down ICEbreakers before facechecking and to make the runner unsure if he hit a string of bad luck on his HQ acesses or if I don’t have agenda’s in HQ.

There is one bluff however which I do run quite a bit, but only in 1 matchup and only when I am agenda flooded against andromeda. Click 1 install astroscript on my remote, Click 2 use econ card (works best if sweeps week) click 3 install ICE over HQ, pass.I also run some other shell games in situations where I warrant it optimal, but let’s just say that due to sansan city grid fear, runners are more willing to check remotes making shell game type plays dangerous.

Psi games follow a handy chart to memorize A:NR Psi Game - Google Sheets in general bid 0 more often than the GTO chart say’s to if you are a runner and bid 2 more often if you are a corp, in order to exploit the tendencies of other humans.

In terms of other bluffs and infomation hiding for runnersI also reccomend the follwoing

1. Think in chunks act in chunks, plan out your entire turn starting on the very first click, then make a series of moves in 1 turn rather than thinking during any click other than click 0. Exceptions are often included, for insance Click 1 indexing, witht he plan of scoring any agenda’s you see, then only seeing 1 agenda, then adjusting is reasonable.
  2. always do the following every turn
  3. look at discard of yourself
  4. count your credits and corps
  5. count cost to get into each server
  6. now that you know these things, make your plan and start to run, I generally think 2-4 turns in advance when I run
  7. whenever the situation changes suddenly (ICE rezzed or other shift in gamestate) recount everything again.
3 Likes

could u explain something more about that chart please? its very cryptic for non mathy guys :smile:

Great article, I tend to chat a lot during games, too. Either to distract from my thoughts, to just chat and have a good time. Trying to talk people into something was never really my strong suit.
However, body language can be a great way to do just that. The important bit is to remember that you will become easier to read the longer the tournament takes and the people you meet at the time are likely better at picking it up, too (especially at 14h long nationals, etc). So it is vital to telegraph a few “wrong” signals in time, so the opponent might be thrown off later, when you lose some control due to fatigue.

Agree about your next level thinking.

One aspect that I read about long ago in a book about chess strategy that I find helpful in pretty much every game I play is that it’s important as a player to think about who is the strongest player and how that affects your gameplan. If you are the strongest player it’s generally not in your interest to increase variance and unknown factors in the game, including the information game. On the other hand if you consider yourself the weaker player you might have to try and unbalance your opponent by introducing variance somehow and in Netrunner this is very much possible by controlling the information game.

3 Likes

For me it’s actual fighting games. Yomi helps, for sure, but actual fighting games are even better because they’re so fast you’re operating on System 1 (=unconscious, heuristic-based) pretty much completely. Yomi takes more System 2 work, and winning combat consistently can be hard, so much of the game is just about playing with ranges and managing resources.

That’s great for winning in the short term, but what is your goal? To always just win the tournament, or help level the scene up and improve people’s level of play so the competition is more enjoyable?

1 Like

Actually, if they’re using standard GW dice or something to simulate a d3, you should probably bid 1. d6=>d3 means 1-2 = 0 and 5-6 = 2 credits invested, and by far the most common number GW dice score is 1, followed by 6 as a distant second.

Agreed on the #fundamentals thing. Also, this forum software is weird ;_;

Nope. Do I want to go to time every game?

2 Likes

Why? I’m not familiar with the term “GW Dice” but why would anyone use such dice? :slight_smile:

maybe GW = General Weight? Idk

I think it refers to Games Workshop dice; supposedly, they roll a 1 29% of the time. I’ve seen as high as 32% as well. I’ve also seen some people call bollocks on the whole thing.

3 Likes

If you’re trying to get a random result and rolling with a weighted die, kinda defeats the purpose. A lot of people will probably use a dice rolling app or something like that.

The psi game does change depending on the circumstances. It’s fine to bid 0 on a future perfect you accessed from R&D when both players are at 0 agenda points. When they are at 5 points and you have 1 psi game to play, knowing that the whole game is on the line, you can’t just bid 0 and get “expected value”. You have to at least think about things like how many credits they have, how many you have, and what they’ve bid in the past. It still might be worth it in those situations to determine your bid randomly though.

Agreed, when in a tournament setting it’s important to be respectful and play most of the turns of the game at a decent pace. Of course there are turns when you have to think harder, particularly near the end of the game.

In casual play I think taking your time and doing some math in your head is a good habit to get into, so that you can get fast enough at it that it doesn’t cause you to go to time in a tournament setting.

I would love to have opponents who do this. Imagine knowing what ICE are on the table without having to spend clicks running servers and risk hitting ice like komainu or tollbooth? I just can’t see how this is not a huge disadvantage for you.

As corp, seeing the Corroder in the runner’s hand makes a huge difference in what ice you install on servers. If you get to see the Indexing in their hand, you can plan your R&D ice accordingly.

Getting a read on what your opponent has in hand by observing their plays is definitely a part of high level magic. It’s just a lot harder to develop that skill than tight technical play.

I agree. It’s just that most people don’t know necessarily, and gaming stores tend to be full of Games Workshop dice. If you have reason to suspect the die is GW, why not go for the value?

Fascinating! Thanks for the link. Disappointed to see that Chessex dice are in the same boat.

Wow, I was just talking about this scene this morning with someone. Plate o’ shrimp man.

1 Like