Is CI the Deck to Beat?

the absolute worst part was watching the runners play into The Gameplan by spending dearly to get into R&D only to topdeck agenda after agenda, not the legwork :).

2 Likes

Think we should start splashing Shiro, for the mini-precog effect? :smiley:

My solution is Caprice, and Quandary.

Identity: Haas-Bioroid: Cerebral Imaging

Cards: 49 / 45
Agenda points: undefined / 20
Influence: 15 / 15

Agenda (10)
3x Accelerated Beta Test
3x Efficiency Committee
1x NAPD Contract
3x Project Vitruvius

Asset (2)
2x Jackson Howard ●●

Ice (14)
3x Bastion
3x Eli 1.0
2x Ichi 1.0
3x Quandary
3x Viktor 2.0

Operation (22)
3x Archived Memories
3x Biotic Labor
3x Blue Level Clearance
2x Celebrity Gift ●●●●●●
3x Hedge Fund
2x Reclamation Order
3x Restructure
3x Shipment from SanSan ●●●

Upgrade (1)
1x Caprice Nisei ●●●●

I have considered trading the Bastions for Wall of Static on more than one occasion. I’m still not sure whether a possible Atman lockout is better than saving Corroder 1 credit. Though, considering how awesome a starting hand with Quandary is, I may just cave and put the WoS in.

I will say, however, that the Caprice has been nothing short of amazing - especially when you can just keep bringing it back.

1 Like

I’m curious if anybody has any war stories on the effect of Donut on these CI builds? I see there’s some chat in the the other thread, but seeing as he’s been out a bit now, curious if theory met play?

I think it depends a bit on your CI deck, but Donut does make everything much less efficient, which can be a pretty big drain.

That said, Legwork is by far the bigger threat to CI, from what I’ve seen. Almost everyone has anti-CI stuff just incidentally (at least around here) because most of it is good against other corps as well. It isn’t entirely dead, but it doesn’t seem nearly so common/good as it used to.

Played against a Donut Whiz build with my Scorched CI last saturday. I still got to 60+ credits relatively easily, although it’s true that without Donut in the game, I probably would have gotten to 90 or so.

Donut has 3 main kinds of impact:

• Subliminal Messaging becomes strictly hand padding. This is less of a problem for CI than it is for other identities, and can actually be useful
  • If you want to use Reclamation Order for economy cards, it only really pays if you reclaim all three copies, as opposed to a Donut-less situation where 2 is usually fine. Thus, it takes you a while longer to start the recursion econ engine, as you need to wait for the first card that shows up in all copies
  • The Biotic-SEA-Scorched-Archived-Scorch becomes a true mathematical nightmare. At one point we were both trying to figure it out, and it slowed the game down to a crawl. After a while, my opponent started contemplating actively suiciding because he couldn’t bear the thought of calculating all the variables one more time :smiley:

In conclusion, he’s not a total killer unless he’s paired with some additional form of denial (preferrably Vamp) - getting economy with him out is troublesome, but Vamp recovery with Donut on the table is pretty much impossible, for all intents and purposes.

3 Likes

Cool that’s good intel. How quickly did he get Donut on the table in this game?

Click 2 of turn 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How were you planning to recover from Vamp without Donut? I’ve never landed a Vamp that hasn’t been game over against CI.

LOL ok, so he was around pretty quickly hahaha. Fighting bad corporations with maths :smile:

We’ve got our Chronos tour here in Joburg on Sunday and expecting to see CI everywhere. Not at all experienced with Anarch stuff, so thinking Donut, Legwork and Siphons my best bets.

Sorry for being unclear, I meant that in general, not against CI in particular. Of course, Vamp vs. CI is gg, but Vamp with Donut is usually gg against corps that are normally resilient (like, NBN which can score from 0 credits no problem, etc).

Siphon isn’t such a huge problem unless both hitting super-early, and paired with heavy ICE destruction.

Legwork isn’t as much of a problem as Nerve Agent is, in my experience. For Legwork to really matter, you have to connect one extremely early (when I’m at < 10 cards, more or less), steal some agendas, and then finish up with a second Legwork later.

Compare that to Nerve Agent, where you can farm up credits for half the game (same as me), then drop Nerve Agent (ideally with a Grimoire token), do three runs and most probably steal the 7 points you need.

Yeah Nerve Agent would be pimp, but am really hesitant to switch up deck types just before a tournament. Something tells me I don’t get nearly as much practice as half the people on this forum heh. HQ interface seems a bit hit and miss to me as well. Maybe Decoy works ok here against SEA shenanigans. I think the scorched builds will blast through your plascretes all day long.

I was playing around with with CI v. a Kate PPVP on OCTGN last week. Dude never ran; it was just an even money race. Then, he pulled slightly ahead, and Vamp’d. I clicked 3 times for cash, and held 3 Agendas, losing 2 NAPD. Thought I had a shot, but then he LARLA’d.

Yeah, I :rage4: quit.

Man, that line of play (from the runner) would be triggering all of my internal alarm klaxons. “SOME WEIRD SHIT IS HAPPENING ALERT ALERT” :). Not that there’s much you can, you know, do about that sort of thing as CI unless you can FA agendas quickly enough.

1 Like

Well, yeah, @hypomodern, I was aware of some incoming shit. Problem is, as you’ve experienced, when one draws ONE Biotic in 30 cards, it’s going to be GG sooner than later.

1 Like

Man, don’t remind me :).

2 Likes

I played a game exactly like this :). Turned out the guy was saving up to play monolith+big breakers all at once. Meanwhile, in agenda-scoring land…

1 Like

•The Biotic-SEA-Scorched-Archived-Scorch becomes a true mathematical nightmare. At one point we were both trying to figure it out, and it slowed the game down to a crawl. After a while, my opponent started contemplating actively suiciding because he couldn’t bear the thought of calculating all the variables one more time

Donut would add a total of 5 credits to the play. Base cost of cards+Trace Money+5

Tbh, I don’t really know what to do about vamp, other then to just hope you can out-econ the runner so they can’t take you to zero with it. I feel CI is missing some kind of significant punishment for a runner that just doesn’t run, and farms credits instead.

Scoring agendas is the ultimate punishment