Jinteki.net Culture

Pretty much yeah.

4 Likes

As @zogstrip shows in a much more visual manner, yes. My impression is that (from my own experience and comments on various Netrunner Internets), is that new and casual players tried and stuck with Jnet first. Then, more dedicated OCTGN players gave it a shot (and used both) after hearing that it was getting much better and probably only used it where only Jnet could be used (work, tablets, Mac, etc.) or used both on the same Windows machine. Wait times for games on OCTGN became increasingly long as there were fewer players available to play. Eventually there was a tipping point and there was no point to get on OCTGN at all, since it would take so long to get a game. db0 saw the trend and didn’t prioritize getting new packs implemented as quickly, since the userbase was so much smaller. I still think he updates it, but there was definitely longer delays.

1 Like

Did you mention why you were conceding? That seems like a reasonable reason to concede, but maybe he didn’t realize you had lost your recursion and thought you were being a premature quitter. That’s a big problem on Jinteki (ie people quitting after a single account siphon) so I can see why someone would jump to being mad at you.

1 Like

Yeah I told him! I said I have 3 cards in hand and made a mistake on my recursion. His reply was that he has Bioroid ice so I can click through…even if conceding I will explain why, because for the other player a “rash” concession is not fun at all.

Indeed, I played on OCTGN in 2015 leading up to the SGP nationals. After that, the exodus to Jnet was one of the reasons I stopped playing (lack of social interaction there). Because I live in Sri Lanka, I can only play online except if I go overseas for nationals. So the social part is more important for me due to lack of local players.

You can always join the Stimhack Slack if you want some social interaction :wink:

3 Likes

Ooh, I hope that I was the “fine” game, it was nice chatting with you and a fun game (haarp EOI/kill vs. val, I screwed up a midseasons and missed the kill, you decked me a few turns later). The notes that I took on the decklist I was working on say “vs. Hayati (seems like a real nice person!)”

Jankteki is one way to go, before that was available I just kept a spreadsheet. I divided it into “cool people” “dicks” and “noobs” (not because I don’t want to play against them, but so that I can pick a not-cruel deck to play and expect games to go longer).

A couple of other things that seem to help the experience:

1. Give your games a fun name, which will attract fun people
  2. At the deck selection screen, when a player joins your game don’t immediately start the game or chat. Impatient/pissy players will normally just leave if you don’t start the game within a few seconds.
  3. Play people with avatars. It’s not a guarantee that they are going to be decent, but they have at least put in a modicum of effort to set it up so they have some commitment to the site.

The other thing to do in the longer-term is to contribute development effort or credits to the site, depending on your interests/skills/credit pool. I was hoping to work on bug fixes/features, but just haven’t had the time.

see you around!

7 Likes

It’s been over 3 months now since the last commit in his Github. I think he commented on Reddit awhile back that the dwindling usage was a factor, combined with the fact that he’d moved on to other games and wasn’t as in tune with the scene.

1 Like

And added Mac, Unix, Android & iOS players aswell, yes (you can’t play with a windows phone).

Nah pal, that game wasn’t one of the initial ones. “Fine” would be them saying “gl hf” and at least saying “gg” at the end, and maybe a comment or two during.

Our game was a cracker! And great sportsmanship throughout of course.

Thanks for the tips! I cottoned on to #1 and #2; for #2 I wait and see if they respond to my greeting before opening the game. Agreed on the avatars, it also allows us to remember one player from the other, which is very hard otherwise :stuck_out_tongue:

See you soon for another game, where I expect you to play the kill right!

1 Like

Pleased to report that all games on Jinteki since my first post have been great! Super opponents and some very close games :stuck_out_tongue: Adding a description to the game hosted really seems to help, and not starting until the opponent comments too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hmm, got a situation to ask about. Watching a game, then a rules question comes up. The opponent answers, and I add on top that the opp is correct.

The player who doesn’t know the rules gets upset as to why I typed in the game chat, and asks me to mind my own business.

On OCTGN it was fairly common for spectators to chip in when rules questions came up. Because, relying on just your opponent can be risky.

So…is it Jinteki culture not to type anything? And if so, why allow spectators to type at all :confused:

guy was rude, thats all.

7 Likes

I started using Jinteki very recently and so far my overall impression is very positive. Sure, a couple guys don’t even say hi and you can be sure they’ll ragequit at the first chance they have but everyone has been fun to play with.

It has been really fun to play with some of the more well-known players too. I’m surprised at how many people recognized me from my blog and at how many people followed my games, didn’t expect that hahaha.

The opponent was overreacting, could have been feeling stressed out by the rules discrepancy. You’re totally fine to post in the chat as long as you’re tasteful with what you say and aren’t annoying. Probably not best to chat more if someone says something (just because you don’t want to get on their nerves) but I think you were totally fine to concur with a ruling. That way you can help build a consensus over how a rule should be understood and enforced.

Personally I try to avoid chiming in on stranger’s games, but when I play online with my irl crew I’ll ask questions about triggers that might have been missed. I try to focus on mandatory triggers or things that players are having questions over, but as long as it’s not a league game I think it’s fine to chat as a spectator.

Jinteki.net is simultaneously the worst and best place to play Netrunner online, and it’s equally frustrating and functional. But I think your experience just happens to be where netrunner is at right now.

1 Like

I have had mostly positive experiences. I haven’t played in casual at all, but in competitive, almost everyone is great.

2 Likes

Spectators are enabled by default, and if the player was new they probably hadn’t put a lot of thought into whether or not that’s something they want. Some people get their noses out of joint when a lack of knowledge is exposed, for whatever reason. A lot of players on there have the attention span of ADHD gnats and reflexively click everything, as evidenced by the old days when you’d put “PRIVATE for xxxx” or “SHL game” in your game title and see a 0.8% reading comprehension rate.

I play casual a lot, I also see hands down the most competitive decks on there a lot. It’s a rage inducing formula for anyone that wants to play a fun deck. I had to shut down my computer today, for fear I would throw myself through the screen in rage. However, in competitive, everyone knows what’s up. I don’t ever encounter anyone that I’d want to slap there. Can’t say the same for casual. Some people are just accurately described as buttheads, and you just have to take it in stride that they are seemingly placed on earth for your abject suffering.

2 Likes

In my experience there have been some really good players (from a social aspect) and some who just come across as the silent miserable type. My filter for this has generally been to quickly go over things in chat before starting a game, what kind of decks shall we play etc. If they’re down for that then things almost always go well. If they write one-word replies or seem just generally crap, then more often than not the game doesn’t start.

I think it helps that I still only play the Core Set at the moment, so people willing to do that are generally the good sort. (Cheers to any of you who might be on here who I’ve played)

2 Likes