Making Netrunner work for infrequent / lapsed players

Where are you based enigma? Definitely uk right? I might try to see if I can organise a chase the egg format Nottingham way.

Yeah, Iā€™m in the UK, just south of Bristol currently. Would defs be interested in a chase the egg format, canā€™t guarantee Iā€™d be able to travel to Nottingham for it though.

The Chase the egg is on today. Please let us know how it goes. In particular Iā€™d be interested to know what the balance is like between the two sides and Iā€™d like to know what software youā€™re using to run the tournament. @5N00P1

Have a look here: [Germany / Berlin] Hack the Egg 1.0 (Fun Tournament) - #11 by 5N00P1
If you have questions, please ask.

14 players, 6 newbies and 2 returned old ones!

2 Likes

If the Old Ones returned, are we talking about the same game? :wink:

2 Likes

Different tournament structures are one way to bring people back in, but there must be others.

I would imagine that giving away free, super-streamlined decks at Magic tournaments would be the best way to get new players. For the cost of 45-49 playing cards (next to nothing to manufacture) you put a fun card game designed by Richard Garfield into the hands of the exact people who are into that right when they have downtime to mess around with it. (Not to mention disposable income to blow on it.)

Like any addiction, just make the first hit free.

1 Like

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Iā€™m relatively new to the game and I picked up the Worlds 2016 decks pretty soon after I started. It was nice to have some pre-built decks to play against each other and they came with quite a few ā€œstaplesā€ to supplement the small card pool I had at the time.

Fast forward to now and Iā€™ve picked up enough big boxes and assorted data packs that I could probably put together most of the decks from Worlds with what I have (currently have Rewiring CI and the Maw-free Val built).

It might not work as well for someone new to competitive card games in general but coming from MTG I knew shameless netdecking was where I wanted to be.

I agree that the larger ā€œfull tournament legal metaā€ is hard to keep up with. Iā€™m a casual player at heart so I make balanced ā€œfunā€/jank decks and I play them with friends and my kids. You could do the same. The guy with the cards makes A few balanced decks and brings them for casual play locally. Then players can tune them or use them as a basis for expansion at that point.

Doug
Zzzman74

1 Like

I think netrunner needs to release more infrequent, but larger, bursts of cards. Like release the whole cycle at once then wait for 6 months. That way the cards are new for everyone, and returning players have a logical point to jump back in. It also lends itself well to launch events and I think would work better with casual playerā€™s lifestyles than the constant drip of cards.

2 Likes

The only issue with full-cycle releases is that youā€™re looking at $90 packs. Thatā€™s the cost of an MtG box, so itā€™s actually still a good deal, comparatively, but itā€™s a lot at onceā€¦

I think half-cycle releases, every 3 months, would work pretty well. $45 every 3 months is a perfectly legit way to do this. (Technically, theyā€™d save on shipping costs by only shipping once every three months, and shelf space, so it should cost less than that, but Iā€™m honestly not holding my breath on that one.)

ā€¦ Shit. MtG already does that.

ā€¦ Itā€™s almost like they have >20 years of experience thatā€™s told them this is the best way to do a release scheduleā€¦

The other thing that bothers me about the release schedule is that apparently only the full cycle is tested by R&D, so pack-by-pack can be wildly unbalanced, while the full cycle isnā€™t as bad. (See: Flashpoint Cycle.) Half-cycles may not improve the meta on the half, but at least weā€™ll only have an untested meta for 3 months instead of 5?