Mediohxcore’s The Spaces Between Set Review

Foundry lets you shuffle R&D once you’ve searched it, so it totally does help deal with R&D lock. It’s a counter to Indexing as well: they Index, you rez ICE on the second run and disrupt the deck organisation. Not saying it’s good (yet) but I think it has more potential than it’s being given credit for.

Sorry, wrong phrase. It helps with R&D lock in that you can draw cards through it, but it makes deep-digging more dangerous because something like Medium is going to cut deeper. Still, with the shuffling, that might matter less, you’re quite right.

I played some foundry (for fun) last night as a break from nehflstomping.

http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/DHbnnLaS6JmuBqj8C/

My findings thus far:

1. Giving the runner control over rezzing is as big of an issue as medio states.
  2. Amazon Grid was interesting, but its really hard to use. I built this deck to make use of it (13 of the pieces of ice get the full discount), but you really want to use it on your centrals… which you can’t afford to do on Turn 1.
  3. Man - going down to 2 sansans sucks!
  4. By the end of many of the games, I had 14+ ice on the board. This meant that R&D was super tasty.

Obviously - the listed deck is mostly a joke… boy did I want the hedge funds, but i still won all 5 games with it.

Looking forward to Eliza’s Toolbox and trying lesser #s of heavier ice. (Oversight AI an archer to defend a toolbox - fetch another archer, use the toolbox to rez the other archer, fetching the third!!!)

2 Likes

Just wanted to add that Mutate triggers the Foundry’s effect as well, which gives the Corp a decent variety of ways to control the ability’s timing.

How serious was the opposition?

Kinda comboey but you gotta love having three free Archers!

Not very - everyone is goofing around now with the new pack. I think the matches were:

1. Nasir. Nasir built the coolest rig in the history of rigs, but couldn’t find his code gate breaker for a long time. He was also incapable of trashing any of the big assets. He also couldn’t steal NAPD contracts from behind servers with unrezzed ice.

2. 3 games against cache noise. 1 was really focused on decking me - and he could have won several times if he ran more aggressively. this just in - Jackson Saves!

3. A game against a proper gabe criminal with LARLA. I was siphoned at least 5 times in the game. At the end my R&D was nearly empty of ice. It was a close game. I’m going to try dropping down to a 7 agenda mix and see if I can use that extra space on econ as my next step here.

This was my instinct when I saw the card. Pack 5/3s and shore up the centrals with a mixture of gear-check and Bioroid/Archer. Although it would be nice to include Efficiency Committee because those extra clicks work very nicely with Eliza’s Toybox - install, rez, fetch, install all on the same turn!

1 Like

Well, I’m a little bit late to the party, but I thought this was an excellent review (even if it has all the limitations a review is bound to have when written so shortly after the set’s release). I think it’s fine for a pack not to have particularly, obviously powerful cards, and I feel a lot of these cards have potential to become powerful in the future. That is, few cards in the pack are blatantly worse than other cards that do pretty much the same thing (e.g. Net Police and Primary Transmission Dish).

D4v1d will fit into several of my Anarch decks, Information Overload might be good in my Midseason deck, and I know for sure my brother will love Eden Fragment (and perhaps Enhanced Login Protocol, too) in his HB Glacier deck. That seems enough to me.

The Foundry is just extremely consistant in a way Next Design was probably intended to be, but never was. I don’t get the sense that you’ve played the deck so I’m not going to get into it too much. I believe you can compensate for the lack of ID economy. Rather than going in on every point, I’ll just leave this here. It has a bunch of cards you’ve given low ratings that together are quite strong. I’m not saying it’s the beez kneez. I’m saying, take it for a spin and see if you re-evaluate your opinion of some of these cards. It’s been performing for me, but my meta is pretty small:

White Suits

The Foundry: Refining the Process (The Spaces Between)

Agenda (8)
1x Eden Fragment (The Spaces Between)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
2x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
2x Project Wotan (Creation and Control)

Asset (7)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Eve Campaign (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Sealed Vault (The Spaces Between) •

Upgrade (8)
3x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead)
1x Heinlein Grid (The Spaces Between)
2x Midway Station Grid (Upstalk) ••••• •••
2x Will-o’-the-Wisp (The Spaces Between)

Operation (5)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)

Barrier (9)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
3x Heimdall 1.0 (Core Set)
3x NEXT Silver (Upstalk)

Code Gate (5)
2x Lotus Field (Upstalk) ••
3x NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves)

Sentry (7)
2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••••
3x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
21 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

Decklist published on http://netrunnerdb.com.

1 Like

I’ll try to give it a spin soon. I might make some changes, though:

I don’t think sealed vault is necessary, really. You have a lot of siphon defenses in the form of rezzable assets and a lot of widely costed ICE to put on HQ.

Speaking of, is having this much ICE really necessary in this ID? I would maybe cut a few pieces, (3rd heimdall maybe?) for another Restructure.

Finally, I would probably cut a 5/3 agenda for a Beta test. Having access to agendas that you don’t have to advance is nice as you can pump fake your opponent into making or not making a run through an expensive server.

I would also add Jacksons. It’s a really important card for glacier’s consistency, and I would never play less than 3 in this type of deck.

I don’t think this decklist looks bad at all by the way. You make great use of some cards I thought wouldn’t be super good without cutting the important stuff, (economy, Ash). I wonder whether it makes sense to play this sort of deck rather than a traditional EtF Glacier build, but with NEXT ICE, it’s certainly an interesting idea.

As a side note, I rated Midway considering its influence cost and lack of usability in NBN. I wonder whether it’s better or worse than, say, a Caprice, but for the sake of testing, I’ll try it here. I wonder how good Will-o will be, also, but it’s worth a try. The reason I ranked the Foundry so low was that I felt it would just be worse than EtF until more NEXT and/or Grail come out, but you’re probably right that I shouldn’t have been so immediately dismissive without testing.

4 Likes

Those are all reasonable choices to make and your play style & meta should dictate the direction you take the deck. Just some thoughts based on my testing:

• Sealed Vault might not be necessary. I have an opponent who love’s vamp in my meta. So it makes a lot of sense to have it occasionally.

• ABT is more likely to wiff in this deck if you’ve rezzed a lot of ice because your ice density goes down over time. Vitruvius, imo, has more value value because it can pull back that economy if you need it or a trashed will 'o, or midway … what have you. I just went for lower agenda density in general.

• Jackson is probably very important if you expect noise. I’ve not been playing against a lot of noise.

• Ice choices I’ll leave to you. I’m a fan of Heimdall, and it’s my more common pri-req target, but there’s room for maneuvering. The only thing I recommend is keeping in mind that in general you have less money for ice rezzing than ETF. That’s the reason for concious 1.0 choices.

I hope the deck doesn’t let you down. I hope you enjoy it. It’s still possible that you’re right about it not being extremely competitive; but I’ve yet to lose with it in my in person games. I’d probably put the ID in the 3-4 range out of 5. Haven’t given it a go on OCTGN yet.

You’re playing 21 points. Agenda density would be slightly better with another 2-pointer because the runner is more likely to hit three 2-pointers and not win after 3 scores.

Jackson is always very important in glacier. If you plan on a long game, not just noise, but other aggro/fast decks like gabe demand that you pitch some agendas back into R&D to slow down the game to a point at which you are stabilized and can keep them out and/or their econ starts to run dry. Against everyone else, he’s a freeroll that lets you fix your draws for basically no cost and saves you from flood. Also, because you play a slow game anyway, his reshuffle ability is more powerful, (more cards to shuffle in, less cards in your deck that you didn’t shuffle in).

Cutting Jackson isn’t always a mistake, but cutting him from glacier is.

4 Likes

I thought the recommendation wasn’t against swapping a 3-pointer for a 2-pointer, but that the 2-pointer should be Vitruvius over ABT because Vitruvius’ potential for extra value (overscoring it) is more likely than it is with ABT (because triggering it isn’t likely to go well).

1 Like

Plus an over-advanced Vitruvius is a great defence against Noise and will get NEXT Ice back when they inevitably get parasited.

1 Like