NAPD Most Wanted List - *Update July 2016*

In chess, however, there is not typically a “cut” after the swiss - it’s pretty much just full swiss all the way. People don’t ID because it improves their standings, except very rarely in the last round when players might agree to a draw to split prize money or something. Also, unlike Netrunner, chess games can literally get to a point where the position cannot be progressed in favor of one side or another, or cannot be won by either side (or alternately, repetition of forced moves is the only way one side can keep from losing).

2 Likes

Any more posts about Intentional Draws in this thread will be considered off topic and deleted.

20 Likes

Today’s Winning Agenda features Damon, discussing the new FAQ and MWL2.

I desperately want a play set of Damon signed Museums with the quote,

“There were some minor issues with the card.”

17 Likes

ok of topic :wink:

Sorry , just a question, if we make a new thread, could you move some stuff there ?

This thread maybe?

http://forum.stimhack.com/t/concessions-and-timed-wins

5 Likes

Aye, did anyone else get the feeling he was washing his hands with the whole Alliance mechanic?

3 Likes

To be fair, he was asked a question and was explaining why he couldn’t answer it (he wasn’t involved in the design)… But there maybe a little of that.

3 Likes

“Not Damon”, I guess.
That was his answer about Alliance cards by the way (around 50:00 to 51:20 in the podcast).

Yeah, it very much felt like something he wasn’t prepared to stand behind, but then, he didn’t come up with it. if anything this gives me more confidence that any associated issues will be dealt with around Alliance - it’s not his baby and he’s probably not going to have the same reluctance to rule on it that someone might if they were married to the idea.

4 Likes

Given they are a themed set, it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility just to reprint them all in one pack with various errata to bring down their power level by making them more restrictive at the deck building stage (e,g temples < 10-12 ice).

On a related note, I felt like his standing strongly behind the six month rule wasn’t exactly heartening. He all but admitted that it was obvious Mumbad City Hall was problematic, but that they didn’t change it because of that rule. In this case it’s possible that the Museum change and MWLing of Mumba Temple is going to make MCH less obnoxious, but I don’t like the idea that there’s going to be this six month inertia in future if they print something really problematic that doesn’t need support from other cards.

6 Likes

I don’t know. I think it’s useful to have that sort of rule to stop the designers reacting too quickly. Sometimes a problem can be solved by existing cards, it just takes time to adapt. It’s probably tempting to immediately react, and I imagine it provides a really important and needed constraint on premature tinkering.

14 Likes

cycles are tested as a complete set, rather than individual packs, so balancing a card by errata or MWL before the entire cycle has even come out can be somewhat problematic because, like he said, the meta sometimes needs time to adapt and change. so setting up a system of quick-banning/errata-ing a card before the cycle/meta has had time to release and adapt sets a pretty dangerous precedent imo, because it might influence the meta prematurely.

also, it should be heartening to know that he would have put a lot more cards on the initial MWL (such as D4v1d) but he didn’t want to overwhelm us. they’re also obviously reading what people are saying in terms of overpowered cards because he’s using those discussions to help convince the higher-ups that the MWL needs to change (he even used the word degenerate many times, so he personally is likely reading this stuff as well)

4 Likes

On the one hand I would be gutted if something degenerate such as the PS-AD-24/7 (or midseasons) - BOOM - BOOM combo ends up dominating worlds instead of ‘real’ netrunner. Im not saying it will Im just suggesting a candidate (WNP DLR was last year, and McH/MoH was for Regionals season). In those situations having something done sooner would be beneficial.

On the other hand, the meta adapted so well to Dumbleforks power that most of the UK had stopped playing it by the end of the regionals season and moved to Shaper. Which shows the player base can and does evolve to deal with emergent threats.

Striking the balance between the two approaches is probably an impossible task, but I commend Damon for attempting it.

4 Likes

One interesting bit of the podcast I liked was Damon’s discussion on D4v1d. I didn’t like seeing it on the MWL because that’s Anarch main way of dealing with big ice now that CVS makes fixed breakers+datasucker more open to getting blown out on something like Archer, but I have to agree that how D4 ended up playing out was far too strong.

His thoughts on limiting recursion and/or being more expensive to play makes sense, though I kept thinking that shaper nonsense would probably make it overpowered out of faction.

All in all, I am VERY happy that Damon is willing to come out and discuss why he put some cards on the MWL over others (like his Wylside/Chronotype discussion).

5 Likes

Anarch needs a card that let’s them run servers with fixed breakers that they can’t use any cutlery on. Like a program that makes a run for a click that lowers the strength of all ice by 2 or something. Can still acquire sucker tokens, can’t abuse run events

That sounds a lot like Injection Attack, no? Your concept is much stronger though.

6 Likes

Oh wow, it does. Maybe they thought about this idea and decided it wasn’t broken in the form of an event. Or maybe something that lowers all ice by 1 and raises strength by 1 for breakers. Gets by lotus field, encourages Encrypted Portals. Win-win

To be fair, Lotus Field is specifically an answer to Anarch shenanigans for getting past ICE. I’m ok with it being difficult for only Anarch cards to deal with. (Aghora’s currently the best in-faction answer to Lotus Field. Well, or Faust.)

3 Likes