Netrunner and Balance Part 2: Our Glorious Future

The counter play to this allready exists, it’s called SOL, no ?

SOL does not stop you from playing rumor mill and run the remote in the same turn.
SOL does not have easy ways to get back the trashed upgrades so it makes no difference.
SOL also hardly represents the Netrunner world of glacier.

12 Likes

Also SOL cannot be imported into HB, Weyland or Jinteki even if you are willing to spend all of your influence on it :wink:

Also Sol really struggles against Blackmail decks (unless you have some weird trick, like TarMar for Blackmail and Midseasons). This is one of those random remote-based decks I was thinking about when I said that the combination of Rumour Mill and Blackmail wrecks remote play.

Besides which, Sol rarely uses defensive upgrades (deckslots), so it’s hardly a big deal getting rid of Rumour Mill anyway. The runner packing currents is bad enough.

2 Likes

It was told the elite doesn’t care the faction if the deck wins.

Pretty essential conditional statement here…

1 Like

That is right. Ban Councilman then. It is the exact same issue : the one without the other makes both cards shit cards.

SOL play rare upgrades. The only things it want to recur are ice & jacksons. Rumor’s mill’s OPness is close to none there, you’re actually fighting over something else.

Actually, who should care ?

It wins. Either by score or ot.
Just use Jinteki’s stats, it was ID#2 (or 3) w/r before hackers accidently the whole database.

Councilman is single use and has way more ways to play around.

Of course, it cost 0 / no inf… What did you expect, an insta access on top ?

The counterplay to rumor mill is that you’re shit outta luck, which is why it needs to be banned.

10 Likes

I’d say SOL and more ice hate from TMs, but if you prefer control-less luck then go for luck :smiley:

What happens if you TM for Mills ? (I could be wrong with the timings)

TM for a current results in TM being trashed before it can give you money.

4 Likes

Thanks.

Look, I’m not going to go down this SOL debate with you, sorry.
I don’t know how elite you are but it looks like you are the one who doesn’t care about factions.

Rumor mill makes ETF Glacier really awful to play and it straight up kills the old RP. To do that, it requires nothing other than drawing it.

11 Likes

I think the hand-fixing ability on SAE is what makes it too strong. Drawing 4 cards a turn can quickly become a liability. I think without the DBS effect it would be reasonable and not as problematic.

3 Likes

Oh please, this again… Don’t deform what I was saying, please.

By “elite” I was just saying that the 20 first players on earth should not care AT ALL about the colors of one card.
They should care only if they win, or if they don’t with the said card.
At least, that’s what “elite” was posting some year before : “some card are OP, yeah then what, play them”. And everybody was here like “ohhh, that is so right ! True wisdom !”.

And now “yeah ban feedback filter and that mill card that does nothing to half of the decks”. Sorry but wtf lol.

Maybe I’m dumb (it is a huge possibility) and the color counts now so sorry : if you’re here just want to win a debate, go on. I’m not here for this: I’m here to show there’s an array of possibilities the herd don’t even think about.

Mill is not OP. It is OP in your meta, or even better, it is OP in what you think your meta is, and only there. In my meta, it is the worse card you can imagine to put it a deck: it is a lost slot.

I have no totem. “Adapt or die” is my motto, and as a Johnny I die a lot, so no worries dude.

Man oh man Rumor Mill is such a polarizing card. I guess I’m also in the camp of people that hesitates to give it labels like “game warping” but it certainly does feel hard to argue it just murders glacier especially when you take into consideration “fair” counters to upgrades like PolOp and Councilman.

Maybe though we really just need a better range of defensive upgrades that aren’t Caprice/Ash. Additionally I’m not a fan of the collateral damage Rumor Mill causes in reference to lesser used upgrades like Watanabe or Keegan Lane (and potential future upgrades) though I’m sure not many players are upset about that.

2 Likes

I think Rumor Mill would be perfectly balanced if it were ‘name a unique upgrade/asset’ to put on blast. It would be both more limited and targeted in scope, require some skill to correctly identify a target, and would still leave room for counter play with additional different unique assets/upgrades.

As it is now it doesn’t require any particular skill or foresight, just hit everything and completely neuter anything. Jackson and Caprice are fine targets and would be called regularly, but more niche cards like Fumiko Yamamori, Anson Rose, and Lily Lockwell all get hit; even if they don’t really deserve to.

Also, thematically I can see how spreading shit about Jackson Howard could make him a pariah at his local office, such that he could not work effectively under the specter of such foul rumors, but I can’t see how Caprice, Batty, Jackson, and the NASX could all be shut down by some vague all-encompassing rumors. If everyone is dirty, then no one is.

7 Likes

The problem with arguing that Sol is a counter is the same problem that arguing Whizzard is a counter to Asset Spam decks:

If your counter requires you to play a specific ID, that is a much narrower counter than having to run a single card.

Councilman < Rumor Mill; You can play around Councilman by pre-rezzing, and you also have to pay the cost of whatever they rezzed, and it’s only one-time. So if they have Ash + Caprice, Councilman doesn’t do anything, while Rumor Mill still doesn’t care.

The problem with Rumor Mill is that it exists. By its sole existence, you take a gamble every time you sit down with a deck containing Ash+Caprice, that the opponent didn’t put it in their deck, because if they did, there goes a good chunk of your win condition that you spent influence on in your deck. Competitive decks cannot accept a <20% win-rate against a single card, so they are built with the assumption that everyone could have Rumor Mill, thus it warps the meta.

3 Likes