New Angeles Sol

If I were gonna try Paywall I’d probably go full durdle and play asset economy, at which point why aren’t you Gagarin? Oh right, Astro.

1 Like

ELP might be better in a deck like this, actually. I originally had 2 Housekeeping and a Predictive Algorithm, but Housekeeping and Targeted Marketing clashed with each other, and Housekeeping was actually just bad. Got switched to Paywall when I needed a couple more credits out of the deck. Can’t overstate how set you are if TM ever hits, though; sometimes they just have to bite the bullet and give you 10 credits.

And it’s not really Astro that’s keeping me from playing Gagarin, it’s a near-permanent active Paywall/ELP/Good Card. And arguably Beale and Breaking News are better than Astro in this deck. Astro just enables FA, Beale gives you flexibility and Breaking News gives you tempo swings.

Love the decks posted here. Sol feels like good honest Netrunner, and might end up being the ‘NBN glacier’ ID, competing with Making News.

Made this my own. Published here: This Just In! You! · NetrunnerDB

This Just In! You!

New Angeles Sol: Your News (Data and Destiny)

Agenda (10)

Asset (5)

Upgrade (8)

Operation (10)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (7)

Sentry (5)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Let me know how it goes! The 1x Cerebral static has been an absolute ball-buster for me (against Noise, Maxx, Quetzal, and tons of random stuff like street chess and Iain). Did you give it a chance?

Is Lily for random News Hound tags? I find people beat the trace anyway, either because they have resources out or are worried about random 1-off tag punishment.

Yup. Our group has been testing a glacier-ish build with 3x TM and 1x Cerebral static, and it’s like, real good. All anarchs but val hate it, and it hits Kate and Leela just fine too. Crushes Geist and a variety of second rate IDs. The funniest effect thought had to be a Nasir matchup where it ended up being a terrible call, he got a bunch of pop-ups rezzed while the static was in play…

Anyways, TM is remarkably strong when it never goes away. As the runner it’s really hard to figure out when to just go apeshit and play your cards anyways.

I can go faster than noise, normally. So ash is good enough. Tm cache and win.

Yep! My new favourite target: D4v1d. With 2 each of Archangel, Tollbooth and Assassin, plus Patch putting Architect or News Hound into range, the counters really don’t last long…

I agree Noise doesn’t seem that big of a worry, tho personally I always name Parasite rather than Cache, even with Cache money he can’t do shit when you can properly ice up everywhere. Not really sold by Cerebral Static against anyone tbh. Leela is one of the times it’d be strongest, but TM Siphon or TM RDI both seem way better. I don’t run enough trashable stuff or enough operations for Whizzard or Ed Kim to be a huge threat, and losing a barrier gear check isn’t the end of the world vs quetzal… Ok I guess it’s pretty badass against MaxX, but then so is TM since you can always get a good read on the type of MaxX deck within the first couple of turns, and again you’re likely to get some big value out of TM - siphon.

1 Like

I played against some high Jank Media Blitz Restructured Datapool Sol.

While this is obviously an optimistic plan. The deck had a 1x Paywall Implementation. That card seems really solid for Sol. It is free, never goes away, and is a -Desperado. Obviously its crazy against Crim, but it seems generally powerful. I can see it being more consistent than Targeted Marketing. Maybe I underestimate Targeted Marketing, or I’m just not good enough to play it well.

Play both. After a while you learn which is best for what game. If I’m going for glacial lock, i want tm because they won’t be running. If I just can’t keep them out, they are running my popups a lot, and I’m definately on the rush plan, then i want paywall.

1 Like

So this is what I took to a GNK in Allentown today; didn’t drop a game.

New Angeles Sol: Your News (Data and Destiny)

Agenda (9)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Project Beale (Future Proof)
2x Explode-a-palooza (Old Hollywood)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ••

Asset (7)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
1x Daily Business Show (All That Remains)

Upgrade (3)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)

Operation (13)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Freelancer (Trace Amount)
1x Interns (Mala Tempora)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)
1x Cerebral Static (The Spaces Between) ••
2x Targeted Marketing (The Spaces Between)
2x Lag Time (The Spaces Between)

Barrier (6)
1x Wall of Static (Core Set)
2x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) ••
2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)
1x Resistor (Data and Destiny)

Code Gate (5)
2x Tollbooth (Core Set)
1x Viper (Cyber Exodus) •
2x Archangel (Data and Destiny)

Sentry (6)
1x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set) ••
1x Architect (Up and Over) ••
3x News Hound (Data and Destiny)
1x Assassin (Data and Destiny)

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

I got rid of Paywall because I actually wasn’t trying to facilitate a successful run, so it made sense to replace that with a current that helped keep them out. Lag Time is meant to be after you mess with their planning with Targeted Marketing (or if you get TM to fire once; it did it’s job at that point) and at that point even if they have D4V1D, it’s tough. Almost everything is STR 5 or higher, and they’ll eventually run out of power counters. I didn’t see WoS or DBS the entire day, so I can’t really say how good/bad they are at the moment. High points of the day included gaining a total of 45 credits between Explode and Targeted Marketing triggers against Notorious Bagbiter, and top-decking Freelancer against DLR Val to trash 12 credits worth of Fall Guys (which had gotten me 20 credits beforehand).

Between Targeted Marketing and Freelancer, I think the DLR matchup is actually favorable. You name whatever combo piece they don’t have installed and you’re practically guaranteed 10 credits. If you need to switch it to Siphon/Blackmail, do so; having 2 enables that. I haven’t really had an issue with credits yet (I mean, I hit TM every round at the tournament) but clicking for credits isn’t the worst. PAD helps, as it always does.

5 Likes

Interesting that no SanSan. Certainly that’s another way to leverage TM money. Personally I think SSCG plays incredibly well with GFI. With an astro token you can threaten anything on a SanSan as a scored GFI next turn. It also just helps score the first Astro sometimes, which is huge. Just my two cents, grats on the performance. I currently consider Sol just as good if not better than Spark, and also better than the typical SYNC build involving Ravens, news teams, and quantum models

1 Like

Did you play cerebral static?

@JTG81, was it not in there? There should be 1 in there if there isn’t.
EDIT: Oh, you meant if I played it at all, wow I missed that. No, I didn’t. It’s just ideally for Noise, but a board state might have it better than Lag Time for a couple turns, depending on the Runner (like if they’re CT and full on memory, or Leela trying to stop you from scoring an agenda.)

@moistloaf, you usually have to leverage TM for ICE, and on some occasions an Ash trace. Clicking for credits happens very often with this deck, even if a TM hits (seriously, gaining 40 credits from the Bagbiter deck is never going to happen with anyone else except MAYBE DLR, and he was still on match-point after the fact) I see myself clicking for credits at least 10+ times over the course of a game. The deck really wishes it could be EtF most of the time, but that’s the ‘price’ you pay for Astro and permanent currents. I’m not questioning its power, and I can understand why you might want the card (it’s not like it hasn’t been putting in work for years) but I can’t see myself wanting to spend 6 on it.

Basically, trust your ICE; News Hounds can carry the deck early, doubly so if they become STR 5. They might get through, but they’ll probably be too poor for the Ash trace. They shouldn’t get in a second time.

FWIW: Targeted Marketing hit a total of 7 times today

• 1 against Leela where I blind-called Corroder because all of my ICE at that point were barriers.
  • 4 (lol) against CT where I named Hyperdriver, and after his Maker’s Eye gave him Explode-a-palooza (lol), I switched to Notoriety, which got me 30.
  • 2 against DLR, where the first call of Blackmail missed (he showed it off Inject, and I wanted to bait him into playing it on a remote, but never took it) but called Fall Guy off the second one.

I don’t expect this to happen anywhere close to this many times. Although if it does, it might actually be one of the best cards in the deck.

1 Like

I hear ya. Personally I consider 4 str ICE and especially sentries much better than str 5 right now. I only run a single Lag Time in my own build cause I am susceptible to Atman 4.

Without SSCG I would worry about opponents not running centrals and just checking remote any time you installed. Your list looks especially vulnerable to that since you don’t have much to bluff as agendas. 6 to Rez SSCG is definitely a huge hit. I play 3 pops and 3 product placement (but no TM) and I also find myself frequently clicking for credits, but I still wouldn’t cut my 2 SSCG. The 6 Rez is more palatable because they really have to trash it now that GFI exists. If they don’t, you can score another Astro and with 2 counters score GFI from hand which is nuts. If Runner does trash SSCG after your first Astro, which is often painful for them but necessary, I would say you came out extra ahead in the exchange.

One more time, str4 sentries are the new black, I think. I think News hound at 5 is worse than 4 right now. Some may say it’s fine cause you tax David counters that would otherwise be use on Tollbooth but Shapers have enough David tokens to not care. Enough runners can and will go tag me versus Sol that News hound first sub does not need to be broken especially with david.

1 Like

I can see remote camping being an issue, but I still have 10 non-agendas that all look like an Astroscript when it’s face-down. Having SanSan doesn’t necessarily prevent remote camping unless it’s a 3/2 or a 4/2 with Astro, though, and Clot gives them a shot at the remote anyway. If they take your agenda I’ve found that they barely have the resources left to get in again. You’re okay with them taking points most of the time; Explode would be NAPDs otherwise.

The thing about ICE right now is there’s an answer for all of it. Timmy’s deck demonstrated that best; Fixed breakers for everything 3 or less, Atman 4, D4V1D for everything else. STR 4 sentries are “favored” right now only because Atman 4 can still cost them credits to break (you can’t even say the set-up cost, Stimhack covers that, and probably the break).

Lag Time can actually mess with that. Replaying Targeted Marketing on D4V1D, or Cerebral Static to take out the 3 credits (to continue using Whizzard as an example) takes Eli, Ichi, and News Hound out of D4V1D range, while still having Tollbooth, Archangel, and Assassin as potential heavy hitters. And if they start burning D4V1D counters on those? First off, great, you probably gained 10 credits when they replayed D4V1D, but replay Lag Time and stop Atman 4.

It’s not foolproof. It’s not going to be; nothing is. But there are ways to work around it, I feel.

So it’s been a while; is anyone still trying to make this ID work? I’m off Explode for now and trying NAPD and Red Herrings. Also trying Launch Campaign or Private Contracts over PAD, but Melange also crossed my mind. I don’t know which one is better, and I still have a problem with remote camping.

I went with NAS to a tournament with a lag Time Predictive Algorithm and it went 2/2 so not good. I built a housekeeping variant and so far I’m enjoying it, I just need to find out what my win conditions are with it.

If you’re on housekeeping, could it be a weird kill deck? Maybe some dedicated response team or something

I just don’t have the influence for all the kill pieces I want. So it is right now a never advance deck with a dash of kill.