Null Signal Questions Thread

A: Kits will be available for a limited window and then we’ll close them. Once they’re done, they’re done. Any remaining stock we have after we ship will be liquidated somehow, either through a special sale or as additional support at bigger events.

Possibly, and take this with a grain of salt, things could be rerun or reused for future support and/or kits, but we’re not committing to that at this time.

1 Like

Apologies if it’s been made clear elsewhere, but how does one pitch an idea to the Nisei group?

Drop an email to projectnisei@gmail.com and I’ll make sure it reaches the right person.

1 Like

Got ourselves one from the anonymous form:

A: NISEI can’t offer these directly because that’s most certainly an infringement on FFG’s copyright. If a there is a fan-made tool for it, great! But we won’t be involved in distribution of anything FFG owns.

Proxies of any cards will be legal at all NISEI events, and we’ll have a proxy policy up in the very near future. In addition, we’re exploring options for TOs to have blank cards for hand-written proxies at events.

1 Like

What are the future plans for nrdb? Who’s in charge?

A: We do have future plans. Additional features and moderation. I can’t discuss the details right now. NISEI is in charge of NRDB as of about a week ago.

1 Like

@Orbital_Tangent might not be allowed to spill the beans, but I am :smiley:

NRDB falls under the Web Development team, which itself falls under Community - i.e. my team. We’re currently reviewing what is working perfectly, and what needs improvement - the first thing that springs to mind is that cards in multiple sets are currently stored multiple times. Fixing that will also allow us to better handle multiple languages, and as an added bonus, alternate art.

Oh cool! We should have a NRDB feature requests thread.

My #1: I believe—and I might be wrong—a user’s card Collection is stored with the browser session. It would be nice to move this server-side so that your Collection follows you across your devices. I’ve always opened NRDB on a new machine and wondered why cards are there or not there. :slight_smile:

Really? Hand-written proxies, in the 21st century? As anything more than a temporary emergency solution for situations like a card lost or damaged?

Out of respect for my opponents, I would never show up to play with anything less than a decent quality color print. Where in the world do you expect NISEI events to happen where even a black-and-white printed proxy is hard to make?

Will there be a different Nisei Art for Card backs corp / runner? Like the curren red & blue, but also a different design?

That is on my list of things I’d like to see already :slight_smile:

You just named the exact situation when this is what we’d do… i.e. emergency replacements for lost or damaged cards.

That said, I don’t know everywhere that Netrunner is played. and I’m not going to tell someone they can’t play because they can’t afford a printer.

Yes, there will be different backs. Exactly what the runner design will look like, I can’t tell you yet.

4 Likes

What a needlessly aggressive answer. Good for you that you can always print proxies, but as someone who used to move house about every 2-3 months for work I have been in many situations where I couldn’t. I don’t own a printer and I don’t always have access to the one at work (quite apart from the fact that if work found out I was printing Netrunner proxies on their printers, they probably wouldn’t be too happy), and sometimes I just needed to make short-notice changes to my deck.

2 Likes

I have never owned a color printer, and during most of my time as a Netrunner player, I also haven’t owned a black-and-white one (not that it would matter). If I needed a proxy, I printed one somewhere. If I had no time, I did not use the card. I think it is more important to provide my opponents with good gaming experience by using easy to read cards, than to play with a last-minute deck change I cannot properly make.

I have TOd a lot of Netrunner events spanning about 5 years. During all this time, I had a player need an emergency proxy exactly once. Do we really need to solve such rare cases in the rules? Those can easily be solved by a TO ruling when such case happens.

@hsiale, let’s put it this way.

We’re currently looking for any and all solutions to the question of card availability. If you have one, please let us know.

With regards to providing replacement cards or cards that are copies of FFG’s official ones, we simply can’t for legal reasons. A few fan alts and our own templates/work are probably fine (still technically illegal) but we just can’t start selling their sets/product wholesale because they will likely litigate if we do.

Blank templates that TOs can hand-write on are just one solution to availability. If you run an event and any of these don’t work for you, you can decide not to use them. With any solution we have, it will likely be up to the TO.

Yes, Nisei cannot sell FFG’s sets. But players can print those cards for their own use and I don’t think FFG would try chasing them individually. Also, in many jurisdictions, I think they would not succeed doing this anyway, especially when it is impossible to buy the cards printed by FFG.

So, for me, the solution should be exactly how it was during FFG-Netrunner time. Each player is responsible for having their decks ready to play. Big majority of Netrunner organized play happens in places where it is easy and not very expensive to print things in colour. There are multiple such places in my city (Eastern Europe, about 800,000 inhabitants) including one which is open from 7 am every day, so someone travelling for a tournament from a small village can simply turn up there in the morning and print their decks. Printing 100 nice colour proxies at that place costs about the same money as 100 medium quality card sleeves, so definitely not a prohibitive cost. You just need a bit of research and preparation, to provide your opponents with good gaming experience.

And this should IMO be the default NISEI policy. Each player needs a deck, cards should be FFG originals or look close enough to be easily recognizable from the other side of the table (i.e. colour prints, because art is what most people use to recognize cards). If a player expects they are going to have trouble sticking to this, they should contact the TO and look for a solution. If a TO expects multiple players in their area to have trouble sticking to this, they can introduce local policy (and communicate it clearly each time they organize a tournament).

BTW this is a good rule to follow generally. Global policies should lean to the stricter side, and people should be allowed to introduce local, more relaxed policies. This way someone who had no time to read local policies can simply stick to the global one and be sure they still comply with whatever was agreed in the place they go to.

1 Like

I forgot about this, but we do have an official proxy policy already. This will go on our website eventually, but here it is for now: Click Here. You’ll find it within the article, heading is just Proxy Policy.

1 Like

If I don’t agree with this policy and plan to change it for any event I run, am I allowed to run Nisei events and order Nisei prize kits?

What part of it do you have such a problem with that you would modify it for events you are running, out of curiosity?

A: You may order GNKs and run those however you wish; there are no requirements. Store Champ, Regional, and National kits will require that you agree to our policies.

@icecoldjazz has said they’ll be on later to explain in more detail their thought process and enforcement policies.

1 Like

Grayscale proxies. They can seriously impact opponent’s enjoyment of the game and in my city getting proxies printed in colour is cheap and easy.

1 Like