Official Rules Question Thread

With needing to boost. That’s a fundamental rule of icebreakers

3 Likes

Hey, it makes sense to me!

Now, last question (I hope) the subroutine can be on any type of ICE, right? so my Houdini could break a Cortex Lock with a click (assuming it was previously boosted), right?

On firing the Mind Game subroutine with Wormhole:

“You and the Runner secretly spend 0, 1, or 2. Reveal spent credits. If you and the Runner spent a different number of credits, choose another server. The Runner is now running on that server instead of passing Mind Game. For the remainder of the run, the Runner must add 1 installed card to the bottom of his or her stack as an additional cost to jack out.”

Am I right in thinking that if this is fired with Wormhole and the corp wins the psi game, the runner does not get moved to another server because there is no ‘passing Mind Game’ to be replaced? But the runner would still need to add a card to the bottom of the stack in order to jack out?

This part is definitely correct. It does not specify the type of routines that can be broken, which means any routine, regardless of interpretation as to how AM actually functions. However, it’s still an AI, and had such limitations (swordsman/Turing/etc.).

Seems correct to me. Replacement effect gets put in place, thing it’s replacing never fires.

Interestingly, if you had Yogasaurus, and a Wormhole in front of a mind games, and you won a mind games psi using Wormhole, I think mind games would later deflect you, even if you break the mind games itself with the Yogasaurus (because of the residual wormhole effect).

Not certain on that last part though; the subroutine doesn’t timebox the effect, so I don’t know how long it’s valid for.

I don’t think this works. Mind Game says “The Runner is now running on that server instead of passing Mind Game.” I think that can only happen if the Runner is passing Mind Game “now,” i.e. when the subroutine is resolved.

If I’m wrong and it would work, I think the Mind Game would have to be pre-rezzed so you could resolve the sub on the correct Mind Game. Resolving a sub on a different Mind Game and then rezzing the one behind Wormhole wouldn’t work, because the lingering effect would be for when the Runner passed the Mind Game that the resolved sub was on.

It’s completely possible that “now” kills the Yogasaurus example I put forward (that is, now is the timebox, and the timebox is instantaneous). All depends on if the runner is considered to be passing Mind Games while resolving subs. If they aren’t, then it isn’t really doing anything “now”, as what it’s replacing is in the future (in which case, it goes back to my question; how long in the future is the effect valid for?).

Seems odd to me that passing ICE happens while resolving subs on it, but it could very well be the case.

I agree about the pre-rez though.

This is a good point. Maybe it does work. It’s kind of a weird phrasing, regardless.

I think the “during encounters with pieces of ice” is extraneous (and adds to the confusion) as well. All subroutine breaking effects are already limited to the encounter window.

1 Like

For manta grid to trigger the run on the manta grid server must be successful. Does manta grid need to be rezzed to be effective? In which case can we rez in the window just after jackout?

Of course it needs to be rezzed to do anything, just like any other card, why would you think otherwise? Rez it at the last possible moment during a run, similarly to Ash etc, after runner has committed to accessing, just before a run is successful.

I’m not sure what window you’re referencing, if the runner jacks out the run cannot be successful and thus Manta cannot trigger and there doesn’t seem to be a reason to rez. (+ there’s never a window during a run after the runner decides to jack out)

I meant the window between them declining to jackout and the run being successful.

If they trash manta grid during the run, would I still get 4 clicks next turn (providing either they finished <6 or have no clicks left).

If they trash two manta grids during their turn (on different servers), and the conditions were met on each occasion, would I get 5 clicks?

If they trash the grid before the run ends, it wouldn’t trigger, so no clicks gained there (I’m reading the trigger as “when a successful run on this server ends”). If you have multiple triggers, they do stack, even with a single Manta (for example R&D vs multiple Medium runs with no money). The clicks are still gained even if the grid is trashed after it has triggered.

combowombo noob

if you’re doing two pile AD. do the cards from the first AD resolve and go into the Archives so they can be used for second AD?

Yes

Security Nexus Vs. Guard

Question about the interaction between Security Nexus and Guard:
Guard Can’t be bypassed, Can you still trigger Security Nexus to initiate a trace when you encounter Guard ?
You do that to self tag yourself in order to DLR, but are you allowed even though you can’t bypass the ice ?

1 Like

I believe the runner can still trigger the Security Nexus trace, but if the runner wins the trace, the bypass effect cannot resolve because of the ‘cannot’ clause on Guard.

The rationale is that the trace itself is a change in game state, regardless of potential outcomes of the trace.

6 Likes

I think so too, the game state will change

1 Like

Hm, I’m not so sure about this. By the same rationale, you could trash Forger out of Geist to avoid an unavoidable CtM tag because it triggers a draw. Or trash Forger just for the draw.

I’m pretty sure that you have to check for a resolvable effect to use a paid ability, not for side-effects that could change game state.

I would love to be wrong about this because I think that the scope for abuse of this “must be a resolvable effect” rule is pretty minimal and it just causes a huge amount of confusion (see also: scavenge can reinstall a program, but only if you have another program that you could potentially install in grip/heap).

You can play Foxfire without anything to trash, right?

Not the same reasoning though. One has a trace, the other doesn’t.