Official Rules Question Thread

I thought we were just talking about it being a principle for references to hosting relationships (since by definition a trashed thing can’t be hosting anything!)?

Aren’t the 2 points connected ?

Anyway, my very first question about Street Peddler was : what happend if I play Exile and I install a program hosted on Street Peddler ? Will I draw a card ?

If you tell me no, please explain me then why Allele can return itself while program on SP are not considered to come from the heap.

1. no, sadly (i think exile would totally work with a street peddler, flavor wise).

2. either because

• trashing the peddler is fine, but the ability resolves before checking the rest of the game state to determine the peddled cards are trashed

• because Lukas.

Sadly there doesn’t seem to be an answer you will be more satisfied with that I can think of. I agree the templating on this card is bad.

Agreed.

Here’s the best way to describe how Chum works.

There is a switch on each piece of ice labeled “all subroutines broken”, and it starts “off”. To even walk up and touch the switch, you must get to step 3.1 of the run. So if you somehow skip over step 3.1 in any way, you never have a chance to flip the switch. Once you get to step 3.1, you can flip the switch to “on” by breaking all subroutines on that ice, removing subs, etc. If there are no subs, you walk up to the switch and turn it on immediately because you find no subs to break. The corp can also flip the switch back to “off” by adding subroutines to the ice.

Once the encounter with the ice ends, the Runner takes 3 net damage if the switch is set to “off”.

4 Likes
  1. if I added a rule that the runner gained 1 credit whenever they run a server with exactly 10 ICE protecting it, it would also rarely/never come up. But why do we have such a rule then? I argue from simplicity and agree that this doesn’t change the meta.

2. The better ruling is what everyone I have seen intuitively does when they run a server. They consider the runner to be “at” a position in the line of ICE protecting the server, approaching or encountering the inner one:

Server
Bako
Bako
– Runner is here
Tollbooth

Now the corp bounces both Bakos. In my text editor I delete the Bako lines:

Server
– Runner is here
Tollbooth

Voila!

1 Like

:smiley:
I’ll keep it short and hopefully less emotional than before:D

The Bako rule seems a bit wonky in a vacuum, but I think it’s just a bit of collateral damage: these new rulings involving ICE destruction are meant to make cards like crick more manageable. when all or most of the old ICE gets trashed and new ICE installed simultaneously, using a relative position (i.e.; determining the runners position using the relative positions of remaining ICE they have or haven’t passed) as in your example falls apart a bit. the new ICE is not clearly installed either inside or outside of the old ICE, as they were all trashed as part of the installation.

Going by the absolute position can occasionally result in un-intuitive scenarios, but ultimately it provides a clear, never fail standard for what to do when ICE gets trashed or switched or whatever else new cards might want to do mid-run to installed ice!

Ok, that was the last one, honest. Back to rules questions that haven’t been answered yet!

1 Like

I’ve got so much respect for you. I could not do this or understand all these nuances. You also explain it so simple to people like me. Great job. :clap:

6 Likes

In my mental model, the switch doesn’t even exist (and thus you cannot check its state) until you get to 3.1 (as that’s where it gets instanced), but that’s probably a professional deformation from being a programmer by trade :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I have this weird situation:

1. Runner has 3 installed medium in Personal Workshop
  2. Runner has an installed Grimoire
  3. Corp has 2 installed Cyberdex Virus Suite

after passing last piece of ICE:

runner installed 1 medium from Personal Workshop, and decided to access

corp rez first CVS to purge virus counter

runner installed 1 more medium

corp rez second CVS to purge virus counter

runner installed 1 more medium and access R&D

question: is this play correct?
I was under the impression that during a run, priority cannot be passed back and fourth between runner and corp?

Paid ability windows are passed back and forth until both players have had a chance to act, and a player declines to act.

It can if each of them finish the abilities they wanted to play. priority doesn’t pass back and forth after each action, but if your opponent used any paid abilities, you have the chance to respond. After each player has had the chance to use paid abilities, if one player passes on a chance to respond, the window ends. Think of them like mini-windows where each player plays as many abilities as they want in their window and alternate mini-windows back and forth until someone passes (after they’ve both had a chance).

1 Like

You may want to review the rules on timing priority during a paid ability window. Priority does indeed pass back and forth as long as players choose to act.

Also, just to be clear, deciding to access is not part of the paid ability window. That happens after all paid abilities.

4 Likes

In between, actually. Paid abilities are 4.1 and 4.3, the decision to access (or rather, the decision not to jack out) is 4.2

4 Likes

11 Likes

I thank Jinteki for the potent negative reinforcement provided by Valley Grid. It has really helped me with my compulsive jacking out.

I wasn’t mentioning it to be a nitpicking asshole, you know… it’s just that there are paid abilities for which it’s relevant that you can’t decline access afterwards (like, rezzing a Hokusai on the server in question, HoK counters and such).

3 Likes

*hugs*

I use that image in approval and mutual awesomeness :slight_smile: You are quite right. I (and anyone else reading this thread, I’m sure) appreciate the clarity.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone saw it that way. I would certainly feel honoured to be given that image from Capt. ANCUR.

6 Likes

Yeah, thanks for the explanation - when faced with a meme picture that can go both ways, the presence or absence of a like by the meme’s poster is usually how I try to guess the correct interpretation :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, we’re all awesome and the runner cannot just jack out whenever he feels like it, moving on!

1 Like

Geist question here that came up at league night.

I’m on a run and my opponent rezzes Tsurugi against me. I don’t have any sentry breakers but I have a Faerie and a Shiv in the heap and at least 2 programs installed. I’m tempted to grab with Clone Chip and break everything except one of the net damage subs because I’ll draw an extra card and have some cruft in my hand, but I want to know what Clone Chip will draw me first, since it could be an important card that I wouldn’t want to risk net damaging out.

So, the question is: When I use Clone Chip, can I draw Geist’s card before I’ve decided on the target I’m installing? I think the answer is yes and that’s what we decided at the time, but I know Clone Chip cares about there being a possible target before resolving. Do I need to pick what it is ahead of time, or can I pick it after Clone Chip trashes (and thus draws me a card)?

2 Likes