Official Rules Question Thread

The chain reactions rule requires Geist to resolve before the effect of Raymond Flint.

Meaning, after Genesis cycles out can you still rebirth into Andromeda? No

2 Likes

Is the chain reaction rule a reversal of previous earlier rules? Or is it just a clarification? For some reason I had in my head that things got nested in Netrunner, but apparently not.

What? Chain reaction = nesting = cascading. They’re all names for the same phenomenon; that is, a triggered ability must resolve immediately, even if it interrupts any already resolving ability.

Info Sifting

If successful, instead of accessing cards, the Corp separates all cards in HQ into 2 facedown piles. Access all of the cards in one of the piles; you cannot access any cards in the other pile this run.

vs Dedicated Neural Net

you choose which cards the Runner accesses from HQ for the remainder of this run.

So does the corp make two piles, the runner selects a pile, and then the corp selects all cards from that pile for the runner to access, in the order of the corp’s choosing?

These cards do not interact

1 Like

Ah, so Neural Net doesn’t let the corp specify the order, just the cards they’re going to access. Thanks!

Can the Corp purge if there’s an active Political Graffiti but no other viruses and there are no cards that would be trashed by purging?

The latest FAQ was updated to clarify that you can still purge a lone Clot because it’s a card, but Political Graffiti is a condition counter and not a card, so wouldn’t it be exempt from this?

3 Likes

Removing a condition counter might not be a change of game state, but adding a card to archives, which is where the Political Graffiti would make it’s way to, is definitely a change of game state.

The thing with Clot is that you consider triggers that have continuous abilities “do X if Y”, but not triggers that cause a triggered ability “Whenever X happens, do Y”. Which is semantical and weird and annoys me greatly but there you have it. Political Graffiti has the “if” wording and if shuffling R&D is a game state change then clearly adding a brand new card to archives is a game state change so all the lights are green on that.

Also keep in mind under Damon we are seeing more things being considered a change of Game State, under Lukas initiating a trace that had no hope of dealing any damage was not a change in game state (because what if neither player put any credits in??), under Damon in a new FAQ it has reverted so that it is a game state change. It’s possible under Damon that absolutely everything will be considered a game state change, and checking for the “if” wording vs. “whenever” wording will be the only thing that matters. To some extent we can run short on finnicky little special cases that skirt the edge of what a change in game state is and raise questions enough to feel out how universal that is. You just gotta look hard I guess. Is it a change of Game State if triple click media blitz to add an agenda counter like Domestic Sleepers says I can? etc

No. First, “do X if Y” is not a trigger. And this FAQ entry is not a general rule, so it should not be extrapolated. It’s only a specific exception clarifying “purge”.

You should still be able to purge PoliGraf, but I’ve sent into Damon to confirm.

You can’t take any resulting changes into account when determining if something will have a potential to change the game state.

Yeah, sorry just having a moment there. It is the way I thought it was, and still is, I just mis-understood the Q/A and the recent FAQ text.

I knew about the first one, I was just using the word trigger colloquailly, which is probably unwise.

On the other hand, I’m pretty surprised removing a condition counter and moving the condition counter that represents it are that separated from eachother.

Different question, if I only have a Market Research with an Agenda Counter on it, can I 24/7 the Breaking News I scored this turn to place another Agenda Counter on Market Research even though my Agenda point total won’t increase? With a post-Astro Agenda suite that could come up in a game, if I wanted my opponent’s two tags to stick.

Why wouldn’t you be able to?

Agenda counters are counters, right? Are they different from the counter on Political Graffiti, whose removal was not necessarily enough to change the game state? I guess I don’t really understand what’s going on with the Graffiti at all.

I just played a game with my roommate, who is new to the game and is much less awful about forcing his intuitions against it, and he asked me whether you could choose not to install the ICE from ABT after looking at them. It’s clear that you can, but it’s not clear to me whether you trash an ice that you looked at but chose not to install, or just leave it where it was, ordered how it was. I’m pretty sure the answer is going to be that you trash them because that seems like designer intent, and the parsing of “the rest” to mean “the ones you rezzed” versus “the ones that were ice” seems like they’re roughly equal interpretations.

A question I’m more genuinely unsure about is whether “you may install them, ignoring all costs”, is an all or nothing proposition, or an offer that applies to each of those ice on an individual basis. If I look at 3 Wall of Statics, can I install them both over archives and rez them, then let the third Wall of Static get trashed?

What happens when the runner have Guru Davinder and Netshield and the corp plays a neural emp ?
Can the runner choose which card prevent first or it’s the “permanency” of Guru Davinder’ability that “trigger” first ?

By the time it’s written “prevent”, I’m thinking the permanent / paying ability separation doesn’t exist. Those are both prevent abilities.
So, to me, these can interrupt whatever effect so the runner can choose to interrupt Neural emp’s net with Netshield before Guru, no ?

The normal timing rules still apply here, so Guru Davinder takes precedence. Check out the UFAQ entry (recently updated).

1 Like

If I mushin out an Allele Repression, and the runner runs it on their following turn, can I trash it before access to trigger it. I think not, but I am not 100% sure.

You need to rez it to be able to use the trash ability, so unfortunately not.

That’s what I suspected. Thanks for your help.