Official Rules Question Thread

Quick rules query folks…

Regarding NASX, can it be triggered via:
i) Credits coming off a scored Corporate Sales Team?
ii) Credits gained via advancing Oaktown Renovation?

Yes to both. Each is a conditional ability that gains money, and NASX fires when a card ability gains money (outside itself).

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do Omar and AgInfusion interact? If I use his ability to run archives, then AgInfusion trashes the ice to make me run on an open remote, when the run is succesful do I choose a central server to treat it as or do I have to access that remote?

U said it for yourself. The run is successful on the remote, not on archives, so omar wont trigger

1 Like

I’d have thought that you’d be able to choose a central server, since the run is successful and successful-ness is the only criteria mentioned in Omar’s ability. But I’d have been wrong, because Omar’s wording is very similar to Account Siphon’s, and the FAQ has the following clarification for Account Siphon:

If the Runner ends up running successfully on another server than HQ, the “If successful…” on Account Siphon cannot be triggered.

1 Like

Yep, things that start a run and say “if successful” are actually saying “if you successfully ran a server the card could attack”.

2 Likes

Does this mean that effects that redirect Dirty Laundry runs deny credits after the run?

To my knowledge, dirty laundry works, because it does not specify a server. My precedent for that is ancient though (a ruling on exploratory romp vs. bullfrog by Lukas), so it’s possible that there’s been churn here.

Basically, the run needs to be successful on a server that the card/ability could attack. AS requires HQ success, DL requires any success.

I edited the above to clarify that.

3 Likes

Alas, my dreams of having a Singularity run redirected to R&D will never be realized.

5 Likes

To have it all together in one spot:

If I Encounter a Quicksand and use Sifr to drop it to 0, and then it gets a power counter, is Quicksand at 0 or 1 str?

0 Str because we care about timestamp order of the abilities, and Quicksand’s Constant +1 per Power Counter was in effect before Sifr’s Triggered ability setting it to 0, so we always apply Quicksand’s +1s, and then Sifr’s =0.

1 Str because we added a Power Counter to Quicksand after Sifr set it to 0. Sifr set it to 0, but then it got another counter and went to 1.

(I’m pretty sure it’s 0, though?)

From the Quorum UFAQ:

The Corp has a Sandburg rezzed and 14c. The Runner has a Faust installed. If the Runner uses Sifr when they encounter Bulwark, what is Bulwark’s final strength?

Bulwark’s final strength once the runner has the ability to use paid abilities to break subroutines is 3. When Sifr is used, it is the most recently applied modifier, so even though Sandburg gives Bulwark +2 strength it still has a final strength of 0. Then when Bulwark’s ability resolves causing the Corp to go from 14c to 16c, Sandburg’s effect updates and becomes the most recently applied modifier, which applies after Sifr sets the strength from the base of 8 to 0; the final strength becomes 3.

Applying the same reasoning to Quicksand, the strength when breaking would be X (where X is the number of power counters on Quicksand); runner fires Sifr (assuming run happens on runner’s turn), then corp triggers Quicksand, causing a re-evaluation of its ability.

Of course, if there’s a parasite on it, it dies in between Sifr evaluating and Quicksand evaluating; the strength was momentarily 0. But strength at time of breaking, neglecting other factors, is X.

In the edge case of AOYCR runs, strength at time of breaking would be 0. Quicksand and Sifr occur simultaneously. Corp effects happen first on corp turns, so Sifr would get applied after Quicksand evaluation instead of before.

So Quicksand is anti-Sifr… Interesting. Thanks.

(Well, except for that Parasite weakness thing.)

1 Like

When a player installs multiple cards (sequentially) by the same effect, does the player

1. choose all cards before the the first sequential installing action, or
  2. choose the first card, then install the first card, then choose the second card, then install the second card, …?

(Situation: Architect is the only card in archives, and Bulwark is installed protecting archives. Corp plays Friends in High Places, installing Architect protecting archives and trashing Bulwark to reduce the install cost. Can the corp then install the Bulwark [that just got trashed] as the second install from Friends in High Places? Does the answer change if there is another installable card [let’s say Chiyashi or Crisium Grid] in archives before Friends in High Places is played?)

I believe it’s sequentially. So you should be able to install the bulwark you trashed. Unlike mtg, targets do not have to be chosen when a card is played unless the card specifies that you have to (re: naming a card with Hospitality).

1 Like

Going by the section Installing Multiple Cards on p.5 of the FAQ ( 3.1.2 ) the answer is the second option you gave. So in the example you gave you could install the Bulwark as the second install.

1 Like

I am uncertain as to the answer. I will note that the FAQ entry does not necessarily mean that the targets are chosen and resolved one at a time; only that they are resolved one at a time (may be chosen all at once before resolution). Under such a paradigm, Bulwark would not be a valid target.

But, it could also be that the case mentioned is correct. I’ll dig deeper.

After asking on the Stimhack slack, majority seemed to agree that you choose all targets before resolving each installation (so Bulwark would not be valid). However, I still don’t have any concrete precedent.

I can’t find an instance in the rules or FAQ stating that the Runner gets to choose and access one at a time when accessing mulitple cards either, though i’d always assumed that was the case. It’s the only parallel i can think of.

After talking with @jakodrako, resolution of actions are linked to choosing their targets, and thus, alongside the FAQ entry of “Installing Multiple Cards”, you could install Bulwark (as you guys initially contrived).

Sorry for the confusion!

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate y’all taking the time to get to the bottom of this.