Official Rules Question Thread

I thank Jinteki for the potent negative reinforcement provided by Valley Grid. It has really helped me with my compulsive jacking out.

I wasn’t mentioning it to be a nitpicking asshole, you know… it’s just that there are paid abilities for which it’s relevant that you can’t decline access afterwards (like, rezzing a Hokusai on the server in question, HoK counters and such).

3 Likes

*hugs*

I use that image in approval and mutual awesomeness :slight_smile: You are quite right. I (and anyone else reading this thread, I’m sure) appreciate the clarity.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone saw it that way. I would certainly feel honoured to be given that image from Capt. ANCUR.

6 Likes

Yeah, thanks for the explanation - when faced with a meme picture that can go both ways, the presence or absence of a like by the meme’s poster is usually how I try to guess the correct interpretation :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, we’re all awesome and the runner cannot just jack out whenever he feels like it, moving on!

1 Like

Geist question here that came up at league night.

I’m on a run and my opponent rezzes Tsurugi against me. I don’t have any sentry breakers but I have a Faerie and a Shiv in the heap and at least 2 programs installed. I’m tempted to grab with Clone Chip and break everything except one of the net damage subs because I’ll draw an extra card and have some cruft in my hand, but I want to know what Clone Chip will draw me first, since it could be an important card that I wouldn’t want to risk net damaging out.

So, the question is: When I use Clone Chip, can I draw Geist’s card before I’ve decided on the target I’m installing? I think the answer is yes and that’s what we decided at the time, but I know Clone Chip cares about there being a possible target before resolving. Do I need to pick what it is ahead of time, or can I pick it after Clone Chip trashes (and thus draws me a card)?

2 Likes

Yes, by the rule of chain reaction’s you would draw the card for Geist before installing a card with Clone Chip.

Clone Chip only cares that there is any program in your heap in the sense that you can’t trigger its ability at all unless there is something to install from the heap (otherwise the ability would have no effect and could thus not be triggered). But the actual choosing of the program doesn’t happen until the install effect happens.

4 Likes

Because its just come up over on Reddit… When you access a server with a loaded Worlds Plaza, are you able to access cards hosted on the Plaza itself? Could you trash, say, a Melange hosted on it if you only had one credit when you access?

I had automatically assumed that you could, as the rules state that you can (must) access all cards in a remote server. Cards hosted on the Plaza are surely IN the server! But several people have cropped up in the thread over there claiming that it’s actually a good way of protecting low trash cost assets?

They might be saying this because it’s easier to protect 1 server than it is to protect multiple servers.

1 Like

Some people were definitely saying that (I think this is a fallacy until you factor in certain upgrades, but that’s not the topic here…), but others are saying it will increase the trash cost of any asset to 5. That can’t be right, can it?

This is because the runner can pay 5 to trash Worlds Plaza and all the assets hosted on it.

The rules say you access all cards in the server.

We know cards hosted on other cards are ‘in’ the server from Awakening Center - hosted ice is ‘in’ the server (though never accessed, because the rulebook says installed ice is never accessed).

So you access all cards in the server, including those hosted on Worlds Plaza.

4 Likes

But if you access Worlds Plaza first and trash it, then you no longer access the cards that were hosted on it (because they get trashed first), right?

Yup. You only access cards in the server.

1 Like

Paparazzi says ‘You are tagged’. I’m used to ‘take 1 tag’ or ‘give the runner a tag’, but not this.

So when it’s out, are you just perma-tagged? How many do you have? Can you install it and then remove the tag?

Huh?

You are tagged.

Tags? You don’t have any tags! But you are tagged.

What tag? You don’t have any tags. You are tagged.

Smile for the camera! click

15 Likes

You have 0 tags, but effects coming off cards that say “if the runner is tagged” work.

1 Like

There is a question I haven’t really found an answer to, yet.

The rules state (page 21, Timing Priority)

After both players have had at least one opportunity to act and
a player declines to act, then the players cannot trigger more
abilities, rez more cards, or score more agendas until the next
opportunity to do so.

What is the next opportunity? Once I have passed, do I get to use paid abilities again, if my opponent uses some? Or do I have to wait for the next window in which paid abilities may be used?

For example:

• Runner uses one or more paid abilities.
  • Corp uses one or more paid abilities.
  • Runner passes.
  • Corp uses one or more paid abilities.
  • Does the runner get a chance to act now?

Stop! That’s it, it’s over. No more paid ability window. Both players have had at least one opportunity to act, and a player has declined to act - precisely when the rules say to end the paid ability window.

5 Likes

I have a new question, based on a discussion some friends were having.

Film Critic and Neutralise All Threats and both have an access trigger (‘Whenever you access’ and ‘the first time you access’, respectively). These are the only two runner cards that have this trigger, to my knowledge (contrast with Kim, Demolition Run, etc.).

Film Critic is already established to counter cards like Fetal AI - the access trigger for the runner (on her turn) proceeds first, and (assuming the agenda is Film Critiqued) other effects (Fetal AI’s 2 net damage) do not take place.

Does Neutralize All Threats work in the same way for cards such as Snare!, Shock!, and (perhaps most surprisingly) installed advanceble traps? To my mind, it absolutely should: the on access trigger fires immediately on access, happening before corp on access triggers, and ‘you must trash it by paying its trash cost, if able’. The access step is then over, as the card is trashed.

It’s also rather thematic, given the card title.

Thoughts?

3 Likes