Official Stimhack OCTGN League PART IV

No.

1 Like

Any thoughts about allowing games on jinteki.net in League 5. I’ve been playing a bit on there over lunch and it’s progressed a lot. It compares pretty reasonably with OCTGN now in my opinion.

I guess there’s an argument for either j.net games to be allowed in SHL games or having 2 concurrent leagues.

2 Likes

How do you guys feel about this?

I prefer it to remain all in the same place, and I personally don’t feel Jinteki.net is better than OCTGN yet. I still run into annoying game breaking bugs (last time I played with Firefox on linux, installing too many remotes would drag the window to the side so that I couldn’t see my hand anymore…).

It 2 league participants want to play a game on jinteki.net and report it on the league’s challenge board, I really don’t see any downside to that ( apart from muddy the integrity of the league name but …).

2 Likes

Let’s use this new shit. Allow Jinteki.net games in SHL 5:

• Yes
  • No
  • Don’t care

0 voters

1 Like

I think the main argument against is that ratings may not be particularly transferrable between the two platforms. The main argument for is that it’s easier for everyone who wants to play to play. Whatever issues Jinteki.net has, ease of access isn’t one of them.

1 Like

I have no opinion on this. I’m doing it for you guys, so let’s poll and see.

1 Like

As someone who can’t use octgn, I support this.

One problem might be any end tourney. 1 Jinteki player and three OCtgn might not be smart.

4 Likes

Having an way to find other Stimhackers for jinteki.net players would be great.

On t’other hand, this would probably end up being two leagues in practice if not in principle - players who prefer OCTGN will play there, players who prefer jinteki.net will play there, and ne’er the twain shall meet. Two concurrent leagues would officially recognise this, and seems best to me.

10 Likes

I never assumed the games had to be on octgn. If I meet a local player for a SHL4 game is that OK?

if jinteki continues to get polished the inevitability will be a split playerbase between the two clients, reducing the total number of players available to either pool. I like the idea of having one hub for all players searching for a game and enjoy spectator others’ games via octgn in league play. I’m sympathetic to the fact that some people can’t use octgn, though. If we start allowing Jinteki, do we allow IRL games? I play against Josh01 every couple weeks or so in GNKs and wouldn’t mind counting my occasional victory :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, don’t allow IRL games. Stimhack is an online community, and it’s core contributions should remain online. At least until next year’s ANRPC details are sorted out.

3 Likes

If I’m sitting in the same room as someone and we have laptops and cards what’s the problem with using cards? In your GNK example I agree you shouldn’t retrofit random matches to be part of the league. But if a friend and I arrange to play a SHL4 game why would you force us to downgrade our experience?

2 Likes

Wheres the seperate leagues option? Im all for seperate leagues.

But you dont compare leaderboards in video games between PSN and XBL when they cant play vs each other.

Give some love to jinteki.net sure. it was a fine client. But i’ll be damned if theres gonna be someone on the leaderboard ahead of me I cant play against to strip that rank away :smile:

2 Likes

Someone made a thread a while back for a jinteki.net league, but I don’t think anything ever came of it.

Why can’t you use OCTGN? I’ve got it to work on every major platform(ok, not on my raspberry pi)

you did? I never got it to work in wine on linux. How did you do it?

1, don’t wine, save yourself the trouble and VM a windows machine in VirtualBox(it is doable though)
2. OS,kernel,wine version
3. Did you make sure octgn ignored ssl, and did you disable hardware rendering
4. Can you post a debug file of wine trying to run octgn? where does it crash

Could you do a guide? You might help a lot.

On topic: new league will start 6th of Juli. A day after Top 4. We will post more info.

2 Likes