Online Play, Stimhack league, Jinteki.net, and more

strange kind of elitism going on in here (Mac vs Windows? really?) that doesn’t really seem to be the spirit of the community. jinteki is objectively better in terms of UI and ease of use. the problems raised by OP are about the Internet at large. any game in the world, with anonymous users, is going to suffer from these problems, regardless of the platform. I’d just start playing with people you know and stop playing against random people. I think the Stimhack league is the perfect place to start.

2 Likes

I exclusively use Jinteki.net now since my primary computer is a linux laptop and I think this statement is false. I like Jinteki’s UI and feel that the automation is stronger, but there are several things that OCTGN does better, ranging from being able to change credit/click/tag totals in bulk rather than one at a time all the way to being MUCH MUCH easier to manually configure and change the board state in order to roll back mistakes. Netrunner is hard and mistakes happen and OCTGN makes it a lot easier to recover a game that misfired (or had a bad card implementation) than JNet does.

3 Likes

I mean, on Jinteki, as corp, the server order is Archives-R&D-HQ-Remotes from left to right. I always play with that order from right to left and I find it really hard to get used to after years of doing it the other way.

Also, when I’m corp, I see resources under hardware under programs, the way I would see them as the runner. This I am also not used to.

Further, I tend to be freeform when setting up my rig in real life. I cannot do that in Jinteki, while I can in OCTGN.

My language about about quitting Netrunner altogether before moving to Jinteki was pretty extreme, but I really wanted to get my point across that for some people like me, the visual interface itself is what makes me dislike it. Let alone the ease of going back to previous board states on OCTGN vs. Jinteki.

Really? I feel constricted in my ability to do things in Jinteki, what with having to go through every single motion when both players know what the outcome will be. Besides, “objectively” is a strong word. So, no matter anyone’s opinion, the UI is easier to use? Easier to learn, perhaps. But I still don’t know how to do a lot of things on Jinteki after 5 games or so, while after a similar number of games on OCTGN I was, in my opinion, fairly proficient at it.

I do, in general, agree with your later statements though.

2 Likes

This isn’t intended to sway you (OCTGN may well still work better), but just for the benefit of anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, these totals can be adjusted to required values by using the console commands.

8 Likes