[Pālanā Foods] Soylent Red (It's Made of Runners)

But… isn’t this just better in HB? I get the PR tax, but that is a lot of influence.

well get that 17 inf non nbn id one day. custom what?

I thought it was RP, ELP, Ruhr Valley Grid, Victoria Jenkins for the lockout…

1 Like

Oh, right. Here’s my current Palana Sandburg list.

Sandy Foods

Pālanā Foods: Sustainable Growth (Business First)

Agenda (8)
1x Corporate Sales Team (Business First)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]●●[/color]
3x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
2x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (9)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) [color=#FF8C00]●●●[/color]
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)
1x Ronin (Future Proof)
3x Sandburg (23 Seconds)

Upgrade (5)
3x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)
2x Marcus Batty (The Underway)

Operation (9)
3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
1x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)

Barrier (7)
3x Galahad i[/i] [color=#708090]●●●[/color]
3x Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves)
1x Wall of Thorns (Core Set)

Code Gate (6)
1x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Lotus Field i[/i]
3x Merlin (All That Remains) [color=#708090]●●●[/color]

Sentry (5)
2x Lancelot (First Contact) [color=#708090]●●[/color]
2x Rototurret (Core Set) [color=#8A2BE2]●●[/color]
1x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)
15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to 23 Seconds

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

It’s in a place where it at least isn’t Completely Terrible.

I can be talked out of the Ronin, it’s there for the random runner who likes to Draw on one turn and Play on another. What’s that? Only two cards in hand? Welcome to Flatline, population You.

Melange is the best and worst card in the deck. It lets me generate ridiculous amounts of money, forever, while I wait for Agendas to come out of R&D. It gives me something to do with the Sandburg or Scoring server while they’re empty. It also allows Runners to dig R&D a lot easier.

Subliminal Messaging feels dirty. In conjunction with Melange, I make 8 a turn unless you run my evil, evil ICE.

ICE composition: Everything ends the run. Except Swordsman. He’s there because Keyhole-Eater MaxX is a thing. Most of the ICE also punish facechecks. The exceptions are Himitsu, which is just good early ETR that Sandburg pumps later in the game, and Lotus Field, which is my answer to Null or other Anarch shenanigans. I’ve been considering WoT instead of Himitsu…

Pretty standard otherwise, the kind of deck you could make in your sleep if someone said ‘Operation Economy Sandburg Palana’. One extra Restructure, and I’ve settled on two Batty. He just hurts so much if I can fire him. That said, there’s awkwardness with BattyGrail where I can only use him during approach on Lancelot Grail ICE, but usually I stack Grail/Rototurrets on the same server so it doesn’t matter too much.

I tried out Clones Aren’t Dudes and dropped it because the Nisei-Nisei-TFP score is still the ideal. It only helps make a 4/2 into a 5/3, which the deck generally doesn’t particularly need. Also tried Komainu and dropped it because I want to End The Run on all my ICE. I’m vaguely looking for a way to fit Snare, Edge of World, or Junebugs into the deck and do Trap things… Otherwise I feel the deck is strong.

Come now, where are the builds? In curious what ICE spread Palana should be running. The agenda spread, assets (3x Jackson), upgrades and operations are probably the same (FiHP added) as last years SC but new ICE did dropped. Maybe a single Chiyashi?!

Chiyashi with sandburg? What’s the point?

Chiyashi is good because once people see you’re not on grail, they don’t expect a barrier to hurt them. I’ve seen several Chiyashi flatlines :slight_smile:

But you want you cred pool high for sandburg. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed. I guess Sandburg is better if you go with glacier approach, while 1-of Chiyashi fits rush more.

Chiyashi is pretty good as a one of in glacier I would think. If nothing else it is pretty strong AI hate.

The rez cost really bites, but eh… seems pretty strong to me.

It also is a supreme tax for almost every other fracter that isn’t an AI to get through. Paperclip has to pay 7(!) and that is on the lower end.

I’ll post my Foods list below, it’s been very underwhelming, like a 50% win rate. I went semi-rigshooter mostly to counter Criminal.

What’s been bad: too much recursion, it hurts for Crick to be dead early & Friends has rarely been played. When you get 3 defensive upgrades people don’t contest the remote & then nothing happens. ICE is a bit on the expensive side. Runners win even without good counters to defensive upgrades.

What’s been good: the additional econ of Sweeps is necessary, Batty is great even if he doesn’t secure a lockout, Nisei is a strong agenda in this meta because everyone is playing powerful run events (Siphon, Vamp, Indexing), I think 9 agendas is better than 8 (4 3ptrs, 4 2ptrs) as half the time I rushed out against late game runners.

Probably needs Fast Track, maybe a Fast Foods build with Agroplexes is better.

F*#$ Rumor Mill.

Pālanā Foods: Sustainable Growth (Business First)

Agenda (9)

Asset (3)

Upgrade (7)

Operation (13)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (8)

Sentry (5)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Martial Law

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Also, I can’t bring myself to play Chiyashi when it’s so atrocious against Paperclip. Sure, you may get a flatline against someone who doesn’t know you’re running it, but you’ll lose another game because you have a 12-cost ICE you can’t rez.

A seven credit tax isn’t atrocious. If the runner breaks it twice, you are ahead.

Just run Bryan Stinson and you are probably able to bounce back super easy from it.

2 Likes

If ICE are to be valued simply by how much they cost the runner, and not the rez/cost ratio, then ICE like Janus, the Heimdalls, Wotan, & Fairchild* would be far more popular. But instead we play Eli because it has a great ratio but much lower cost. Of course, Chiyashi stands apart for being a facecheck punishing barrier. It also costs 12 credits to rez.

Not saying people are wrong for running Chiyashi, it’s worth a lot of consideration. But based the games I’ve played, it would’ve rarely been superior to Vanilla. If I see more AI in the meta or if runners become more likely to facecheck (I think the Batty rig-trashing setup makes them particularly disinclined to do so) I’ll take a second look.

I used this list on NRDB as a base: What happened to Princess Space Kitten??! · NetrunnerDB

But thought it needed more 2 pointers so I added 2 CST and a braintrust and took out 2 TFP (if I think of anything good to do with the influence though, I’ll switch GFI->TFP) and a macrophage. Seidr is pretty good in glacier, often getting up to 5-7 strength. Between Caprice, Batty, and crisium, you have pretty good game against Crim even without adding ark lockdown for paperclip.

1 Like

I think people aren’t talking about Agroplex enough in here. I used to doubt this card, but plenty of players much better than I are (and have been) using it to great effect.

I’ve been using it in an 8-agenda Grail list. I was not using it at first, but I found that I often was using Jackson to draw up to power Celebrity Gift or to find enough Grail pieces.

I see the trade-off as giving me a card and a credit for giving my opponent a card, which isn’t terrible.

Building a scoring remote quickly, finding agendas and scoring them are all good things.

1 Like

What do you think of Voter Intimidation? About half the Palana lists I’m trying these days include one, and the problem I’m having is that sometimes it’s a card that does absolutely nothing.

I prefer Enforcing Loyalty but that’s personnal tastes I guess ?

I think i can chip in here. I’ve been running a Palana variant both in the ‘real’ meta before MWL and under my ban-list rules for local tourneys. It has been faring well so far.

Short history: I wanted to make a glacier deck as tactical as possible, meaning a lot of in-turn choices. This means a lot of rez-or-no-rez decisions as well as ICE-install decisions. Things should not be merely taxing, but also offer interesting tactical options. I also wanted a deck to successfully use the Grail-suite as i love the amount of choices they offer and the real threat they possess. They require a lot of money however.

The idea with the ICE is to maximize threat to the runner so as to prevent having to shell out the cash for rezzing until later in the game, and then do so selectively. This means a good range of heavy punishing ICE as well as some very economical cheap taxing ICE. I tried out the single Chiyashi mostly for fun, but it turned out to be really good. The thing is with so much ICE there is room to spare for ICE that are not used or only used as bluffs. Since the threat-level is so high you rarely need to rez them all.

It is really easy to play yourself into a corner however if you do rez without being careful. Try to always maintain a float of ~10 credits (or as much as you need to rez what you need safely).

Also note the heavy-handed anti-resource package of 3 Scarcity and 2 Voter Intimidation. This gives you a LOT of control against many runners boardstate and can let you crush their econ curve early. Some decks have very little counterplay to this and peter out like a balloon…

The list is not yet updated to MWL3, but that’s a candy-problem.

If it’s doing nothing then the runner has just given up a great advantage of using resource-based econ as well as countercards like Film Critic and stuff like Aaron.

3 Likes

Yesterday I tried going from various spiky ice to Grail + Agroplex for the first time in quite a while and the effect was immediately noticeable. Deck was just faster and better, I felt way more in control of my games.

Other change was Enforcing Loyalty in for Voter Intimidation at recommendation upthread. It immediately won me a game by knocking a Same Old Thing off the board with Levy already in the bin. What I disliked was having a single-use psi game operation with Voter Intimidation, that’s what I meant by “it sometimes does nothing.” With Enforcing Loyalty I had to use more strategy to pick a target, bait a run, deplete the the runner’s credits, and win the trace. What an amazingly fun card, it reminds me of Best Defense which is also a blast and has a zillion targets in the right deck.

1 Like