Pay-to-Win Challenge

Try these decks:

Corp

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
2x Posted Bounty (Core Set)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Private Security Force (Core Set)

Asset (3)
3x Snare! (Core Set) ••••• •

Operation (17)
1x Aggressive Negotiation (Core Set)
1x Anonymous Tip (Core Set) •
1x Archived Memories (Core Set) ••
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set)
2x SEA Source (Core Set) ••••
3x Shipment from Kaguya (Core Set)

Barrier (7)
2x Hadrian’s Wall (Core Set)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (4)
3x Enigma (Core Set)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••

Sentry (7)
3x Archer (Core Set)
2x Hunter (Core Set)
2x Shadow (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Core Set

Runner

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core Set)

Event (25)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
2x Diesel (Core Set) ••••
3x Easy Mark (Core Set)
3x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
3x Infiltration (Core Set)
3x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) ••••

Hardware (3)
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (8)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
1x Bank Job (Core Set)
2x Crash Space (Core Set)
2x Decoy (Core Set)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
1x Crypsis (Core Set)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••
1x Ninja (Core Set)

Program (3)
3x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Core Set

A stealth deck would have a problem with 3 enigmas in the same server with experiential data in them, and corporate troubleshooter is exactly that. I’d be amused to see a core deck played in worlds and have it win a game or two.

BTW the runner deck requires 3 core sets and the corp 2(?). It seems the pure pay-to-win challenge would only allow one core (or was this already discussed?).

I wish there was a rule that allowed for proxying Core cards including in tournament settings.

Never will happen, but it would erase a lot of the pay-to-win talk. A relatively skilled pilot would probably do fine in most local tournaments with a x3 Core Only deck but x1 Core just doesn’t have enough power.

If you’re in a tournament, you probably want 3 cores, but you could probably get by with some clever deck building. But tournament settings usually require you to have the best stuff, no matter what game you play. I want to play in the next worlds with some kind of crazy, non 3x core deck, and see how far I’d get. Play the professor and nisei, haha, see how that works.

I’m brand new to Netrunner. I just played my 4th game last night. Just wanted to chime in on this topic. I find that Netrunner has been one of the easiest games to get into. I come from the collectible card game model, and it’s been great. I traded in a bunch of my Heroclix to a website and managed to get most of everything that way. If done right you can get most of the stuff for less than MSRP.

I also think that if you really wanted to just focus on 1 deck for corp and 1 for runner it would be even less expensive. I went the way of getting everything, because I have issues hahaha.

I got 2 core sets, and then I actually knew someone who plays who wound up with 4 core sets because he traded for 2 sets really cheap. So he actually gave me the last set of the 1 each that I needed.

Anyway, just thought I’d say that I actually can’t wrap my head around someone saying the person with the most $ wins in this game. It’s a non-blind card game. That doesn’t really compute. I would probably think it’s best to eventually collect all of the cards, but that can be done slowly. It sounds like the OP’s friends might want to jump in and start winning tourneys right away, and I would say yea the only way to do that easily would be buy it all and learn fast.

I missed a lot of this thread, new to the site too, just wanted to chime in as a new player. This is one of the most affordable games in the grand scheme of things, and if you buy everything you get HUGE value in it. Whereas a CCG like Dragon Ball Z (I play the new one) you could invest just the same amount of $ and not get close to the same value.

3 Likes

Oh actually I don’t have everything. I’m missing What Lies Ahead. I may have issues with wanting to buy everything in a game fast, but I’m not spending $40-$50+ on that. I can wait until it arrives in stores again.

There are a couple cards in there I really would like for my deck though, especially the one for runner that prevents meat damage with 4 tokens to remove.

2 Likes

Plascrete: definitely useful. Was/is also the common “participation prize” alt-art for the winter tournament kits, so you might be able to pick some up from one of those or on ebay. Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed how approachable the cardpool is :).

Enjoy running the nets and, conversely, stomping hackers!

3 Likes

Oh man I wish you hadn’t mentioned that it’s a promo! Doubt I’ll resist picking 3 up now from ebay! Hahahaha.