Red Tree - the Mti Mwekundu thread

I still lean toward the Palana glacier suite - 3 Obo, 1 TFP, 3 Nisei, 1 other agenda (usually Philotic). I’m expecting Strike to be absolutely everywhere, and I want some way to punish runners who decline to play Film Critic.

I have to admit that a super rushy suite of 3 Braintrust, 1 Philotic, 3 Medical Breakthrough, and 6 other points (Obo / GFI, CSTs, HoK / Chronos…?) has some appeal, though. Especially in a spammier version, maybe with Political Dealings.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying a rushy punitive build with Bacterial Programming and Obokata. I had a lot of cheap gear check ice and money. My plan was to use Gene Splicer as the last point, but I’m wondering if Clones might be a better answer. I feel like you need to run currents to avoid Strike anyway – Enforced Curfew is what I’ve got now but it’s meh.

This last game I ended up losing because once I could get remote camped and out moneyed there was no way to win. Early agenda drought made it tough. But Clones would have won the game easily (as would finding a second punitive early when he stole a BP).

I’m going for a very traditional rush strategy. I am trying to figure out a way to push Trick of Light into it, too. Playing an obvious NGO out (maybe with Architect) can help you to get the extra counters quite easily. I’ve also been looking for extra Junebug usage, because that card has really disappointed me.

I’ve not considered the mono-5/3s plan, but that does sound interesting. The last Agenda sounds a tad painful. Maybe it’s worth playing SSL?

I just adore Jinteki agenda suite selection.

Look at all these delightful options.

What a great faction.

4 Likes

This is really insightful and was why I chose that 8-agenda suite for the deck I won Fresno regionals with. I won’t actually share the list because I think it’s bad but we did see a suite of Sandstorm Mti builds coming out of the Chicago regional which look like a very strong implementation of a rush/glacier strategy:

DARUDE SANDSTORM: A Mti Mwekundu Deck (13-5 @ regionals)

Mti Mwekundu: Life Improved (Kampala Ascendent)

Agenda (8)

Asset (9)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (11)

Barrier (3)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (7)

Other (3)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Kampala Ascendent

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

There was also this slightly different version. What I find to be strong about these builds is that a) they take advantage of the ID’s ability to protect assets by playing a multi-remote game with Marilyns & MCA, b) they use Sandstorm to effectively replicate the Aginfusion ability in Mti which makes remote scoring far easier, especially in conjunction with Nisei tokens or defensive upgrades, c) they acknowledge that 3x Scarcity is a requirement for Mti builds, d) ICE selection is optimized to tax and penalize facechecks (see slots like Envelope and Cortex Lock).

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve been looking at all of the Mti decklists from this past weekend. So don’t worry, I saw yours. :wink:

Sandstorm was one that I had in my Mti lists as well, especially the ones with Surveyor. It seemed quite intriguing. I think it’s a strong include.

I missed the Marilyn thing, though, I think that’s really smart. The last list you linked is probably my favourite.

1 Like

Rules question: MTI triggers only when I approach the server, not when I’m already running and have broken a piece of ICE, right?

Mti fires at step 5 (runner approaches server). This is after the innermost ice has been passed or, in the event that no ICE is installed, immediately after declaring the run.

The mti ability installs the ICE and kicks the runner back to 2.1 (approach ICE).

If this is the first ICE the runner approached on this run, they may not jack out.

5 Likes

Sandstorm is brilliant now that Runners are dumping AI. It’s a cheap Nisei counter or AgInf trigger.

For real. Traps at 3+ strength are insanely good against laamb and engolo

Oh, that too. But Laamb is a great safety valve in that case. Eats anything for 7.

I wanna Sandstorm someone through a Laamb after they’ve clicked through a Fairchild and then flip over an NGO so bad.

I have been playing this ID for the last week, and had a lot of fun with it. The very first game I left HQ & R&D open and the opponent’s first plays were Estrike and Diversion of funds. Ouch. My advice is that you should definitely play your first turn like any normal deck: get at least one of your centrals defended, and play some economy. I really like melange mining corp in this deck since you get to protect it from hand. You can create a nice pattern where you install one of your five cards with Mti, draw back to five on your turn and spend another turn making the spice flow.

My other observation is that Cobra is amazing in this ID. I went from trying cortex lock to chrysalis to cobra and feel Cobra is about right.

Mti’s other strength is that you can build a lot of different things in this ID. You can go asset spam, glacier, rush, jinteki shell games…

As for agenda spread: I have taken a liking to 2x obokata (or SSL if you need the unicorn), 3x nisei mk 2, 3x viral weaponization and 1x philotic entanglement. The viral weaponization is nice as you buy so much tempo when the runner can’t really run your remote. Also happens to snipe redundant estrikes and other nasty surprises, which I love.

Two lists that have been a lot of fun:
Indian Mti Mwekundu

Mti Mwekundu: Life Improved

Agenda (9)
3x Nisei MK II
2x Obokata Protocol :unicorn:
1x Philotic Entanglement
3x Viral Weaponization

Asset (14)
1x Gene Splicer
3x Indian Union Stock Exchange ●●●●● ●
1x Melange Mining Corp.
1x NASX
3x NGO Front
2x Rashida Jaheem
1x Sandburg
2x Tech Startup

Upgrade (2)
2x Marcus Batty

Operation (3)
3x Hedge Fund

Barrier (5)
3x IP Block ●●●
2x Wall of Static

Code Gate (5)
2x Crick
2x Enigma
1x Fairchild 2.0 ●●

Sentry (6)
2x Assassin
2x Cobra
2x Surveyor ●●●●

Multi (3)
3x Rainbow

Other (2)
2x Sand Storm

49 cards (min 45)

Got the idea from someone else that called his deck prepaid Mti and it definitely fits. This economy engine has been a lot of fun. You get to set-up so quickly than the usual thanks to the discounts that you get from this.

Mti Jank: Alix T4LB07

Agenda (9)
3x Nisei MK II
2x Obokata Protocol :unicorn:
1x Philotic Entanglement
3x Viral Weaponization

Asset (13)
3x Alix T4LB07 ●●●
1x Gene Splicer
1x Melange Mining Corp.
3x NGO Front
2x PAD Campaign
2x Rashida Jaheem
1x Tech Startup

Upgrade (3)
1x Cyberdex Virus Suite
2x Marcus Batty

Operation (3)
3x Hedge Fund

Barrier (4)
1x Envelope
1x Himitsu-Bako
2x Seidr Adaptive Barrier ●●

Code Gate (8)
1x Bloom
2x Crick
2x Enigma
3x Pop-up Window ●●●

Sentry (6)
2x Architect ●●●●
1x Cobra
1x Rototurret ●
1x Surveyor ●●
1x Susanoo-no-Mikoto

Other (3)
1x Sadaka
2x Sand Storm

49 cards (min 45)

A work in progress, this one. Mostly about redeeming Alix. It is fun when they do a run and you can drop an architect which fires, netting three installs in the runner’s turn. A player can dream.

1 Like

Been having success with this one, but Critic wrecks it…much more than Strike anyway. Uses the ID more for an efficiency gain early and then as a kill set up. Centrals are protected by Snares, Breached Domes, cheap gnarly ICE, and low agenda density. Dome-Mind Game interaction is just funny. It uses Mwanza City Grid to force the kill. And springing a DNA tracker with the ID just after they beat a mind game often makes the runner jack out. I’ve not decided whether SSL is better than TFP with a few cheaper ICE like Architect/Chrysalis. Big ICE is for the scoring remote and NGO bait. The deck has the econ and ICE to win by scoring. I think part of the success, though, is that opponents don’t know the plan or haven’t figured out how to play against it.

Mazing Grates

Agenda (7)
3x Obokata Protocol :unicorn:
1x Philotic Entanglement
3x SSL Endorsement

Asset (12)
3x Breached Dome
3x NGO Front
3x Rashida Jaheem
3x Snare!

Upgrade (5)