Revising the Tournament System Post-Worlds

I know it’s not going to happen. I just want to show it’s viable.

I believe with an LCG system there are going to be swings in power, in this game, between corp or runner and then variance in faction to faction. With that being said I am really impressed with the balance for the most part and the WORK done to keep this CARD game fit.

The only thing that I am sorely depressed at with this game, is the complete lack of:

A. Weekly tournament organization, of player records with wins/losses/matches etc, with a basic player ID system. Something that players feel like they are building something when they play. (I don’t really need this, but it’s cool, and something most CCGs and TCGs have).

B. A solid tournament structure that WORKS, that all players can learn and stick with and know what they are going to get when they go to a tourney, weekly/monthly/regional etc. So far it seems that FFG did a really good job working on the game but not the tournament structure. Kinda like they didn’t feel the game would grow as fast as it has :smile:

C. One thing I would definitely PRAY for is, if there is a Tournament it’s either ALL constructed or ALL draft, or one whole day of constructed with full completion, and then day of draft with full completion, and then scoring accordingly.

That’s all I can really say. In my area we are still in the stages of trying to develop 3 or 4 stores around town and have weekly tournaments. But as far as I know there isn’t really a SYSTEM for keeping track of all the players (worldwide) and goings on.

Laters…

1 Like

we have this in place, with store champs, regionals and nationals. or u mean something else?

agree having magic’s FNM like series would be AWESOME.

Yeah the FNM structure (is what I mean mainly) would be killer. But as far as tourneys go, I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd way they have decided how to run the brackets for the tourney itself along with who plays who etc corp or runner etc?

Laters…

Just a word on chess clocks: people have already mentioned the possibility “hmm do i want to rez ICE” being used to at up runner time, but I think there would actually be a lot of situations where certain decks/strategies/cards strengths would change depending on how much time they might allow a corp to shred from the runners’ clock. The big one is shuffling which, unlike ICE rez windows, cannot reasonably be restricted.

As much as I like the idea of making individuals responsible for their own speed of play, I think it’d be simply impossible to do something like this without making it very easy to abuse and totally unenforceable.

1 Like

Turn the clocks off for shuffling. But really it seems unnecessary. Corp has to shuffle too.

Does it penalize shaper a bit… yep.

1 Like

Clocks are a terrible idea.

@spags if you do record a video using it, please also get two people who have never seen a chess clock before to use them in a game for first time and record that one. Because that situation is going to be 85% of people playing at FFG worlds.

3 Likes

Way to necro the thread.

5 Likes

Holy shit, I did not even realize I was necroing… #awkward :smile:

2 Likes

I really love the chess clock idea! :smile:

2 Likes