Shooting the Messenger: How to Play Against Controlling the Message

Also worth pointing Desperado + Security Testing. Basically all strong successful run triggers from Haemorrage to Find The Truth. None of these really scale beyond the first or second open remote though.

The exception is Apocalypse, which punishes asset spam for over-investing in a board state without sufficient protection on centrals (in general strong central pressure is the best counter to most asset spam strats, at least in my opinion).

No, and with the speed that asset spam can go now with Sensie Actors Union it seems like there needs to be something that can help out. Right now it feels like you ether play Whizzard, or thereā€™s no way you can afford to trash all of the assets you need to and still win the game. I mean, what can you do when turn 2 the Corp has 2, 3, 4 high value trash targets on the table with trash costs >= 4? And thatā€™s even before considering CtMā€™s crazy trash cost warping (only matched by Whizzardā€™s crazy trash cost warping). Whatā€™s going to happen with asset spam once Whizzard rotates? Heā€™s the only thing keeping it in check!

1 Like

Plenty of decent advice in there. Iā€™ve stubbornly continued to play Andy and itā€™s been good v ctm, though I play double medium to have a mid to late game answer to getting tagged to hell. Itā€™s pretty important to recognize when the CTM player DOESNā€™T have a great start, and take advantage of that as well. But yeah definitely an easier deck to play than play against

2 Likes

Really good article, Alex; there were quite a few takeaways for me from this.

One recent trend Iā€™d be interested in your thoughts on is hand disruption; we saw quite a few runners at worlds packing things like Imp, Wanton Destruction etc to try to deal with HHN and tag punishment cards by knocking them out of hand. Do you think this is a worthwhile angle to try, or is it just better to focus on getting rid of Sensies so that those cards are never drawn in the first place?

Wonton won games at worlds against my ctm. Also good, the 1 of nerve agent. Hq is very weak in ctm.

3 Likes

I think trying HQ attack cards like Imp and Wanton sounds like a good idea. I know @evilgaz played Wanton Destruction in Dumblefork at Worlds and was really pleased with it.
I donā€™t think its a substitute for dealing with Sensieā€™s though. My instinct is that the two go hand in hand.

2 Likes

So can I continue to complain about CTM/HHN if I do play correctly against it? :wink:

On the subject of dealing with Sensieā€™s and tech cards:
How do we feel about Political Operative as a means to trash the Sensies, and only the Sensies, right when you need it trashed? There is the problem that youā€™ll take a CtM tag immediately which is probably not a good thingā€¦ And itā€™s a resourceā€¦ Do those two issues hold it back entirely?

I do agree that NACH is not a tech card for CtM, specifically. Itā€™s a tech card for Breaking News, HHN, and Data Raven. It just so happens that CtM runs 2/3 of those cards. (Data Raven not being particularly common) Itā€™s much better vs SYNC, but the main reason I advocate NACH is because of Shutdown Boom combos, as NACH is the most reliable answer to that combo while not being dead in other matchups (a la Plascrete). I feel Citadel Sanctuary may be able to serve the same purpose, but it has a caveat in that you need Link in order to really use it. (Possibly a Nexus Kate include?)

The main problem with finding a tech card for CtM is that you need to answer three questions: How do you trash their assets (Sensies)? How do you deal with the CtM trace? How do you deal with the inevitable HHN or BN combo? I donā€™t know of a single card that will do all three. Whizzard approaches it by pointing at his ID, then pointing at his econ package twice in succession. Nexus Kate answers by pointing at Magnum Opus and Paricia, then her Link cards, and then Artist Colony. Andromeda answers by swimming through her money bin, or by repeating TEMUJIN over and over. For specific cards, Slums and E-Strike answer the second, Networking answers the second and third, and NACH only answers the third. (Scrubber and Paricia are used to answer the first.)

Is there a suitable tech card for CtM that deals with the Asset Spam, the ID Trace, and HHN/BN?

Not specifically a tech card, but a strategy that seems to do well, is an ungodly amount of quick credits can do well. Iā€™ve been working on a quicker version of Hayley Spy Cams. And the Geist version of it seems to do very well against CTM (at least at the SC level):

2 Likes