Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

With the reduced deck size and no need to find a bunch of stealth pieces, I’m working on a build that only uses dagger. The secret sauce? Crescents. Clone chips, 2 scavenge, cycy and lady, with a David for good measure, and all servers are real cheap to run. Just Derez everything troublesome and run through servers for no money. Other influence is imp, basically. Its ha pressure, scorch protection, gets around tfp, and is great with scavenge. I’m not sure what the multi access plan is, though, because I am most likely gonna be broke a lot. Imp helps with trashing stuff, and mirror is basically economy, but do i go tme or interface?

E-Cig

Ele “Smoke” Scovak (Cyber Exodus)

Event (13)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ●●●●
2x Modded (Core Set)
1x Networking (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Rumor Mill (Blood Money) ●●
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (9)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ☆☆
1x Lockpick (Opening Moves)
2x Mirror (23 Seconds)
2x Net-Ready Eyes (Chrome City)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (9)
2x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Patron (Salsette Island)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ●●●●● ●

Icebreaker (3)
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (6)
3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
13 influence spent (max 15-2☆=13, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Blood Money

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Took another crack at this. Ghost Runner actually felt very superfluous in the games that I played with a previous list–with the free Smoke credit and the fact that this isn’t running Switchblade, there isn’t a lot that seriously taxes your stealth credits, even though it runs two stealth breakers. There’s still some cruft in here, I’m sure, but I actually feel like this is getting closer to the mark.

I gotta ask, why battering Ram? And it seems like you’ve become a believer in Mirror now. What are you using clone chip for? Just recursion?

List? It sounds like you probably want Indexings as your multi access of choice.

I think the Ram because it is Influence free. SMC and recurring breakers appear to be the Clone Chip uses.

But the list doesn’t use any recurring breakers. He could just use that 2 inf to import the classic stealth fracter, Corroder.

I meant recurring if the Corp trashes them. But I see your point.

1 Like

You already have Levy for emergency (brute-force) recursion. You could always add another one or a Same Old Thing.

I like the Networking include. Good tech vs CTM, HHN, and/or SYNC. I liked it so much that I decided to reiterate on my deck and I think I came out with something stronger than the Lady/CyCy shenanigans. Behold:

E-Cig Smoke
Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net (Intervention)

Event (14)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ●●
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Networking (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Rumor Mill (Blood Money) ●●
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
1x Mirror (23 Seconds)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (15)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
2x Patron (Salsette Island)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ●●●●●●
1x The Turning Wheel (The Liberated Mind)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Paperclip (Blood Money) ●●●
1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (3)
1x Cloak (Creation and Control)
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention
Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I disagree on the Ghost Runner being an extraneous include. I think you want as many Stealth credits available as possible to avoid any possibility whatsoever that you could be locked out on stacked ICE. And, worst case, they can be used as real credits if you need them. Plus you don’t have to rely on Mirror or Cloaks as much, which I like because it is somewhat expensive for basically one recurring credit.

If you’re of the Mirror Lovin’ Kind, I could easily see the deck also going -3 Daily Casts, +2 Cloak, and +1 Mirror. This allows you to leverage the MU a little better, at the cost of some solid no-click econ.

This version dials the R&D pressure up to 11, including R&D Interface, Maker’s, and Turning Wheel. As an added bonus, Turning Wheel is HQ pressure. In that same vein, a Legwork was added instead of Medium because that felt like it was not what this deck wanted to do (which one or two solid runs a turn instead of a single blowout turn).

I did include Patron this time around because, honestly, the deck did need draw and it does pretty cool stuff with the other Run based econ in the deck.

Still not convinced the deck needs Kati, which brings me to another point: Clone Chip. If we’re not running the Lady/CyCy suite, I think it is completely unnecessary. That was why it was cut in this iteration.

I still kinda like CCs for a faster setup time for bringing back SMCs. I guess if you’re drawing your pants off it might not be as needed, but it still has a good chance at being nice.

You’re not wrong. My list above could accommodate this by taking out the Turning Wheel to add 1x Clone Chip back in. Or you could cut somewhere else and bump back to 3x SMC.

There’s a decent amount of wiggle room in the deck to season to taste as I don’t think a lot of the shell is strictly necessary. Mostly, I believe the ID just wants Run rewarding cards and some level of Stealth.

I will say this: It is a 40 card deck. 3x Diesel + Opening Hand tears you down 14 cards or 35% of the deck. Every Patron trigger gives another 5%. Finding your breakers in the first pass shouldn’t be too hard.

1 Like

Battering Ram was a matter of Influence, and has since been swapped out for Corroder (using Rumor Mill’s influence–it’s nice, but I don’t think it’s hugely necessary right now). Clone Chip was pretty much just to SMC out a little faster because I do use those cloaks a lot. It might be unnecessary, though.

The reason that I ended up down on Ghost Runner was indeed because I’m on 3 Cloak 1 Lockpick–that’ll get you 5 Sentries and Code Gates deep, more if you’re able to use NRE for the strength to get past a weak code gate or sentry. Adding in Indexing will likely make Ghost Runner more appealing because that’s two runs you need to make, but I don’t think that my list is at any kind of risk of actually getting locked out of a server. Kati’s in mainly because I really like having a consistent way to money-up, because with all the traces flying around these days, and with CTM throwing out a bunch of must-trash assets, there can still be a lot of pressure on your normal credits, but that could be a playstyle problem on my part.

1 Like

Hmm… Fair point on the Cloak/Lockpick math. It is possible that I am not including enough Cloak or Mirror. There are still tweaks to be made to my build to bring it in line.

I don’t understand this thing of a shaper wanting to play an out-of-faction fracter :wink:

2 Likes

Lady’s really good, but while it’s cheap on credits, it eats up a lot of deck space, because you have to run a support package to make it worthwhile. In a 45-card deck that’s less of a concern, and other shapers likely have other stuff going on that synergizes with those cards, like Aesop shenanigans or Atman, Smoke really pushes you in a different direction. And with Lady on the MWL, that’s all of 1 influence that you’re saving, anyways.

I’m kind of tempted to cut my clone chips, but I don’t know what I’d put in in their place, and I don’t really like the idea of being hyper-vulnerable to net damage.

Lady x2, Dagger x1, Gordian x1 seems good and cost you “2” inf.

Meaning you can splash desperado x2, legworks x2 and still have one inf for a small toy like a Shard, a Turning Wheel, a Salsette or a Clone Chip ?

I think 40/x runners shouldn’t be complicated.

I like that with Smoke you just always have a str 5 Refractor ready to go (at least through one ice). :wink:

Might also be worth playing Switchblade here. I would probably do Lady + Switch + Refractor and a few Cloaks + Lockpicks.

That’s taking the deck in a very different direction, though–I’m running two stealth breakers, which means I’m running the full suite of cloaks, which means that I need the extra MU off of Mirror. It’s probably just a matter of personal preference, but I don’t feel especially comfortable with Lady as my fracter unless I’m running a full package to support it–with 2 Lady 1 Clone Chip stacked barriers on R&D can very quickly set a hard limit on how many accesses I get, and the efficiency gain over Corroder just isn’t worth it to me when my other breakers are already so cheap on normal credits.

1 Like

Fair enough, I didn’t mean specifically for your build, just in general. It would look quite a bit different, I think. I love the Temujins in there, though. I’m a huge supporter of using that card in Shaper.

1 Like

I’m not sure that switchblade will be very good in a 40 card runner.

I’m not sure, for exemple, that the influence cost of this is good enough vs the influence you could use, for instance, in legworks, or a PPVP engine, or that kind of things.

While the increased constistency will be fine to remove maybe 2 stealth card from a regular stealth deck, it won’t remove 5.

But without tests I can’t say.