So secret she never got a thread: Silhouette

Good thoughts, @Sanjay. Thanks.

I am playing Silhouette because I find expose to be a useful effect in games I play. I find it useful the same way a Kate player finds the -1 cost to install stuff useful. Maybe the deck would be better out of Andy. I don’t argue that, but I find being able to expose cards during game play quite a useful thing. Maybe if I were a more advanced player, I would not find it so useful because I would be better at guessing what players are installing in remotes, etc. But I find even being able to expose ice helpful because it makes it easier to avoid painful face checks and not having to guess about cards in remotes helps me foil never advance plans.

That said, I’m not trying to go “all in” on making it an expose deck. I tried to build a deck using Blackguard, but I found the 11 cost just so high as to make it impossible to use. I think expose has value – even if it is hard to quantify – just like Andy’s ability or Gabe’s or any other runner. In this case, the value is in allowing me to make fewer “guesses” and to run more aggressively because I am not having to hedge about that card that I don’t know what it is. Again, stronger players may not find that ability terribly useful, but I find some utility in it. (I took some encouragement in all this when I learned the two-time world champ made a card with an expose effect on it.)

So after trying to play around with various attempts to build around the ID ability, I found that a “good stuff” Criminal deck was what worked the best for me.

I think the combos mentioned in your list are all interesting and do give some synergy with Silhouette’s ability. One idea I played around with was a Blackguard - Snitch - Au Revoir build that also played Emergency Shutdown. The new Exploit might work here, too. The whole idea was to use forced rez and derez to control and choke the Corp. I could not get it to work, though.

1 Like

Latest tweaks to my Silhouette deck. Pretty straight forward “good stuff” deck. Rumor Mill vs. Employee Strike is the big debate I’ve been having. I end up going with the one that I’ve needed in my most recent games. Coming off a spate of games vs. Jinteki and rig-shooting HB with Batty and/or Caprice, Rumor Mill feels like the better option right now.

If Aaron and/or Temujin get put on the MWL, this list is immediately unplayable as is, which is a shame because I think it is both fair and pretty good. (Yes, I know Siphon spam is no fun to play against, but it is Criminal’s signature card.)

Silhouette

Silhouette: Stealth Operative (Honor and Profit)

Event (19)

Hardware (3)

Resource (10)

Icebreaker (4)

Program (4)

12 influence spent (max 15, available 3)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Quorum

Well Rotation and MWL 2.0 have taken away most of the “good stuff” in a Good Stuff Crim build, but here is the current version of Silhouette I’ve been using in the casual lobby. It is not a deck you would take to Worlds, but I have some fun with it.

Some things Crim (and Silhouette) have lost with Rotation and MWL 2.0.

Account Siphon – Best econ card in faction (even better than Temujin in my mind because of the swing it produces).

Aaron – Best Siphon support card in the game. Great draw and gives you a chance vs. NBN.

Temujin – Huge piles of money that reward making runs.

Desperado – See “Temujin” – Without Desperado, Security Testing is a “blah” card.

This is not news, but comparing my current list to earlier ones, it is amazing how far to the ground Damon and Boggs have torn Criminal. The faction literally has almost no independent identity right now. All the playable Crims are gimmicky or secretly Shapers.

Anyway, here is my current Silhouette list, which is certainly a bit gimmicky. If you hate Mushin decks, you’ll enjoy this one.

Total Exposure

Silhouette: Stealth Operative (Honor and Profit)

Event (17)
3x Deuces Wild (23 Seconds) [color=#708090]●●●[/color]
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Indexing (Revised Core Set) [color=#32CD32]●●●[/color]
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Mad Dash (Daedalus Complex)
3x Peace in Our Time i[/i] [color=#708090]●●●[/color]
1x Special Order (Revised Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Revised Core Set)

Resource (12)
3x Aeneas Informant (Earth’s Scion)
1x Corporate Defector (Crimson Dust)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Fester (Up and Over) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Abagnale (Terminal Directive)
3x Aumakua (Crimson Dust)
1x Mongoose (Kala Ghoda)
1x Paperclip (Blood Money) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]

Program (5)
2x Sneakdoor Beta (Revised Core Set)
3x Tapwrm i[/i]
15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Revised Core Set

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Fester is an experiment. SacCon is undoubtedly better, but I was looking for an econ denial card that also would discourage purging the Turtle. When the purge costs a turn plus 4-6 credits it is a bit of a sting.

Please note, I’m not claiming this is a competitive deck.

High Stakes Job! Play more High Stakes Job!

1 Like

I got Apocaypsed twice by a Silhouette in the casual lobby the night before last. If you’re reading this, I’d really like to see your list.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try at some point. Never played it in a deck. Is it really that useful?

Only if you have some expose effects. But it’s like a super powered Dirty Laundry.

Someday I’ll try Fan Sites and a Shadow Net to get value High-Stakes Jobs

4 Likes

I mean, they’re not reliably good. But the only deck where they are playable are decks with Deuces Wild and Silhouette, and landing them is the best feeling ever.

I love High-Stakes Job though I am more enamored of the card as a combo with DDoS compared to setting up some perfect info run with Silhouette.

1 Like