Stimhack Online Cache Refresh 8: ROUND 6

@ErrantMage Find the Truth is not available as a game-start directive. It’s hard to be Adam.

@spags That’s wonderful news! And correct on Hired Help. Not legal until implemented on Jnet.

1 Like

OK. Same with the Champ cards? Not legal until implemented?

Here’s what @Sanjay said about card legality:

so don’t go trying to schedule your matches based on the hope that jnet devs will enable your degenerate Hired Help deck :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, it’s just a single card; def. can’t base a deck around a single, un-fetchable upgrade.

As long as the champ cards are legal, I’m good.

I’m gonna put up pairings for round one Sunday late afternoon, probably around 3 or 4 (Eastern Standard Time)

I will be very happy to take last minute sign ups, but sign ups after pairings go up will instead make me feel stressed out!

1 Like

Round 1 pairings are up:

http://cobr.ai/tournaments/525/rounds

Contact your opponent as soon as you can to talk about when you two can schedule your game. You want to shoot to have your game done around this time next week.

Let me know if you have any issues. When you finish your matches, you can submit results here.

1 Like

Two things:

• There’s some talk in the SOCR slack channel about possibly doing something about Hired Help, and to get more opinions about it, I’ve made this forum thread. We’ll implement whatever we might do between round 2 and 3.
  • I want to offer some beginning of tournament amnesty for players who deeply regret their ID decisions. A few people have messaged me asking to change after regretting what they signed up with, and I want to formalize this. If you’d like to change your ID between either rounds 1 and 2 or between 2 and 3, message me and we can make that happen.
1 Like

Copied and pasted from the Hired Help discussion thread:

Starting Round 3, Hired Help is banned

I appreciate everyone who chimed in to help me make the decision. My chief priority was making a decision in line with what people wanted for this tournament, and I could not have done it without hearing from people.

While I don’t think we reached unanimity of opinion in the sense that we had people who wanted the card banned and people who were fine with it remaining legal, what I did not hear was people telling me that their excitement with the card pool would go down significantly with the card banned. In other words, while quite a few people were fine with the card remaining, it didn’t seem to have any defenders.

That said, I’m sure some of you were more excited about the card than others (I know I personally, as a player, I could care less about runners being able to run and I just want corps to crush them) so if you are less excited about this change, you have my sympathy.

A reminder, that anyone who wants to change their ID and/or big box between round 2 and 3 (for any reason) is welcome to. Just send me a message.

2 Likes

Another thing:

Round 3 is going to overlap with American Thanksgiving. While plenty of players are outside of the US or otherwise do not have any huge time commitments around this holiday, a lot of us do. I wanted to discuss some options to give people some extra time around the holidays.

The current structure is:

Round 3: November 18th (Sunday) to November 25th (Sunday)
Round 4: November 25th (Sunday) to December 2nd (Sunday)
Round 5: December 2nd (Sunday) to December 9th (Sunday)
Round 6: December 9th (Sunday) to December 16th (Sunday)
Cut: After round 6, at the convenience of players

One option is adding an extra week for round 3, which would make the schedule:

Round 3: November 18th (Sunday) to December 2nd (Sunday)
Round 4: December 2nd (Sunday) to December 9th (Sunday)
Round 5: December 9th (Sunday) to December 16th (Sunday)
Round 6: December 16th (Sunday) to December 23rd (Sunday)

An issue with this plan, of course, is that that brings us up to the Christmas season, which is another time people have a lot of timing issues.

To address that, we could also add in another week around then, which would look like this:

Round 3: November 18th (Sunday) to December 2nd (Sunday)
Round 4: December 2nd (Sunday) to December 9th (Sunday)
Round 5: December 9th (Sunday) to December 16th (Sunday)
Round 6: December 16th (Sunday) to December 30th (Sunday)

Alternatively, we could add a half week for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, which would look like this:

Round 3: November 18th (Sunday) to November 28th (Wednesday)
Round 4: November 28th (Wednesday) to December 5th (Wednesday)
Round 5: December 5th (Wednesday) to December 12th (Wednesday)
Round 6: December 12th (Wednesday) to December 23rd (Sunday)

Personally, I like the half-week option, both because it gives people extra time around busy holidays, and it separates pairing day (Sunday) from the weekend, thus giving people more time to schedule games on the weekend, which tends to be when people are more free. But what do YOU like?

What would you most like to do with the timing structure?

• Keep as is (7 days per each tournament round)
  • Extra week for round 3
  • Extra week for round 3 and round 6
  • Extra half week for round 3 and round 6

0 voters

What timing structure options do you like?

• Keep as is (7 days per each tournament round)
  • Extra week for round 3
  • Extra week for round 3 and round 6
  • Extra half week for round 3 and round 6
  • Kidnap Santa Claus and use his time magic so that there are no timing conflicts

0 voters

I’m in the didn’t-mind-it camp, BUT I appreciate you laying out your rationale and can support the decision. So even if you can’t please all the people all the time, turns out maybe you can still mollify them?

1 Like

I aim to please mollify.

1 Like

A few announcements:

Delay in pairing round 3 Apologies, but I am going to have a specific lack of access to internet when pairings ought to go up. I expect pairings to go up near midnight Sunday EST or perhaps even early morning Monday.

Extra time for round 3 Round 3 will end on Wednesday, November 28th. Try to get your rounds in by around 3-4 PM EST, but if you need to go later than that, just let me know!

Reminder of previous announcements Two big ones! You have until pairings go up to request an ID or big box change. After that you are locked in for the rest of the tournament. The other is that Hired Help is banned for the rest of the tournament starting round 3.

New round is up!

Pairing for the newest round are up!

Apologies to everyone…

A player was accidentally dropped and we needed to re-pair the rounds.

Please double check that you have the right opponent.

The round ends next Wednesday.

New pairings are up.

Since we are coming up the the last two rounds, I wanted to highlight a rule:

In this tournament, players are not allowed to intentional draw or 241. The main justification for this in my mind is that due to the asynchronous nature of the tournament, players that play their matches later in the week have better knowledge of whether they can ID, whether they need to 241, or whatever the optimal choice is. This incentivizes people postponing their games in some kind of game of scheduling chicken where the main loser is me, the tournament organizer.

Hope you have a good round!