Taking Community Temperature on Faust

Adjusted chronotype, often seen paired with wildeside for the best draw engine in the game

a picture of a woman flipping pancakes

6 Likes

Because it so easily, cheaply, and singlehandedly hoses green

But again, not something I’m super big on. I’d rather see new cards (like easier hardware destruction) rather than banning older ones

On the topic of Faust, I had my most wins was runner when I swapped from shaper decks I at tested and tried to improve to a Faust Whizzard deck I barely played. Kinda felt like I didn’t need to try to win, I just needed faust and clone chip parasite. That doesn’t seem how the game is intended to be played.

2 Likes

I doubt this would do anything - Professors biggest draw now, and why I play him as a serious deck now, is that you can play 3 Clone Chip, 2 Lady, Parasite, and still have influence left for D4, Datasucker, Imp, whatever sentry breaker, Medium, etc. Right now Professor is, comparatively, better than ever.

7 Likes

It existing makes meat damage kill a lot less binary which opens up gameplay, the issue is a lot of the dark green cards kinda suck, nothing to do with plascrete, scorch sees play in yellow. IHW is honestly a bigger problem than plascrete, faust IHW on the list would lower the pancake engine’s consistency.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant iain. You are totally right about prof

Faust should be on the MWL, but if Faust is added a Corp card or two should also be added. Probably Biotic Labor and possibly something to hurt Foodcoats as well.

I prefer IHW to plascrete, if only due to playing around it with traffic accident.

I don’t think one influence is too much for a one of card like plascrete anyways. But like I said, is rather see new cards than MWL old ones. Like easier in faction tagging for green

I voted that I want to play less & Faust should be MWL. I did want to clarify for my edgy ‘play less’ vote that I simply want to attend less competitive events. It’s just not a good outlook for solutions this cycle. Maybe I’m wrong and Weyland will get their amazing 1 influence AI hate card that tips the scales, but Faust is so new that I don’t foresee silver bullets for it this cycle.

It’s a rough world for anyone not playing NBN.

I also voted for play less, but it’s only incidentally because of faust - the MWL pushed the meta to an imbalanced, less fun place, largely due to anarch dominance. Faust is part of that dominance, but it’s not the root cause of the problem for me.

2 Likes

I agree, kate was already on a downswing, but they broke her legs while leaving reg anarch almost untouched, and crim’s influence is just ugly post-list.

2 Likes

I hate the MWL. I don’t play less because the game is still amazing and I love that every turn is so interesting and full of decisions. I know Faust and Pancakes will be on that list along with some others that won’t deserve it.

1 Like

I voted that it’s a problem, but future cards should fix it. If we had one or two more AI hate ice, I don’t think anyone would complain about Faust. Honestly, each faction should have at least one, anyway (where is Weyland’s?).

I was torn between good play and new cards fix it. I do think that there are ways to play around it, but I want it to be reined in somewhat.

2 Likes

At first I thought d4v1d would be a problem but in hindsight it clearly isnt a problem. In fact across all factions there are many ways to deal with big ice and d4v1d happens to be one of them. Crim has Switchblade and Faerie and Shaper has Sharpshooter, Cy-Cy and even Lady counts. The obvious culprit is that good cards being paired with powerful cards makes the experience of playing against those decks tend to not be very fun.

But would putting Chronotype on the MWL really change anything though? I doubt it. They just start shaving other cards to accomodate the draw engine. You might end up ultimately having to include Wyldside, Adjusted Chronotype and Faust just to keep the deck from existing at that power level.

1 Like

I absolutely agree that Chronotype is the bigger problem. The game feels like 52 pickup when pancakes hits the table with anarchs just throwing cards at the corp till they win.

If pancakes and Faust is on the MWL list that’s a 3-5 influence hit on noise. Losing the last clone chip is no big deal but seeing some sacrifice in the core econ engine or parasite is.

I’m not even sure that Faust is overpowered in isolation, but that it comes in the faction with D4V1D and an incredible suite of core set breakers is problematic. It makes it way too easy to build an Anarch-only breaker suite that’s hyper efficient. I think Willingdone said, in a retrospective on the core set, “you should have to spend influence for an efficient breaker suite” and Anarch’s card pool destroys that (I kind of think Shaper’s does too, while Criminal’s only all-around options are the disposable cloud breakers).

All this said, I think the card’s design is excellent and it created some of most fun, exciting runner decks ever. Notorious B.A.G. is a work of art, put it in a museum. Chronotype also is a really cool card that made a bunch of terrible stuff vaguely playable (Beach Party, Starlight Crusade Funding, Hard at Work), it’s unfortunate that its only competitive use is a bit OP.

Also, put Snare! in your decks, yo. The true Faust solution.

12 Likes

Haven’t read everything in the thread, but perhaps I’m in a minority in saying that I don’t think Faust is a big problem right now.

It’s certainly strong, and currently combines with Wyldside/Chrono in what is the best runner faction at this point, but it doesn’t feel any more unfair to me than the glory days of prepaid kate, nor the siphon-spam criminal days from around when I first started playing. There will always be strong archetypes, and to make them you have to give them strong cards.

Faust has counterplay, has weaknesses. Plenty of ice are expensive for it to break; some like assassin, big ichi, tollbooth etc can be beaten by david, but plenty of smaller ice are annoying to beat using Faust alone (eli, spiderweb, caduceus, architect without thinking too hard). Swordsman gearchecks for a sentry breaker, wraparound and Turing force david, or some other breaker if the runner is using Faust out of faction. Decks with kill threats can cause a different worry entirely.

The Faust/Wylside/Chrono engine is strong, and near unbeatable if established turn 1, but realistically that isn’t going to happen often. More likely the corp gets some window while the anarch runner is assembling, which can be enough, especially for Fastro. I voted for the second option on the poll. It wouldn’t shock me to see Faust on the MWL soon, but it’s not required imo.

12 Likes

Thank you for being the voice of reason.

I cannot believe there are those who think restricting both Faust and Chronotype would be reasonable and good for the game.

You can still win plenty of games versus Faust. If Faust were really a huge problem, Corps would be getting stomped every game, but that doesn’t happen. Anarchs adjusted (pun points) as best they could.

So much Faust salt. It’s as balanced a card as Caprice Nisei. Who cares if Anarchs are popular right now? Would you prefer every strongest archetype gets systematically nerfed? If PPVP Kate was available plenty would be playing that cause it was (RIP) just as strong as any of these Anarch lists.

18 Likes

I voted that it is a problem, but I’d like to see new cards to fix it. That was always my favorite part of Lukas’s philosophy, though I support MWL. I could see Faust going on it in the meantime and not being unhappy with that.

Let’s not mince words, though: Faust is stupid powerful. If you’re Anarch and aren’t running it, you’re eating paint chips. There are no good Anarch decks that don’t run it. It’s their Astro, Desperado, or SMC. Just iconic and good as hell.

4 Likes