Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks: A Modern Gabe Primer

The problem is they are VERY different. Even if Earthrise were 3 credits, it would be drastically different. 5 now is substantially different than 2 next turn, 2 next turn, and 2 next turn. 3 credits now is not the same as 3 credits later. Netrunner is funny like that.

I do think there is a gabe build for it, but in my testing of gabe, no, dropping tempo at all is unacceptable, save for QT.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t feel to me that earthrise is a must trash resource for the corp. Itā€™s expensive enough, but at the end of the day, youā€™d rather trash kati, or a fully loaded bank job or something,mrather than take a tempo loss, making the richest runner faction waste a few credits. Especially after a good siphon, the tags are really the last thing you need to worry about against 2 out of 4 factions, and scorched earth is hard to hit with 0 credits.

Iā€™m sure there are most certainly situations the Corp may want to trash something else, but if youā€™re poor and theyā€™re rich, theyā€™d be foolish not to trash it.

I spent a while playing a Gabe list that was similar to yours. Hereā€™s the delta:

-1 Inside Job
3 felt excessive. This was before Blue Sun, though
-1 Bank Job
As good as Bank Job is, Iā€™d rather not run 3 of a card that is potentially dead
-2 Same Old Thing
I do not believe itā€™s possible for 3 Same Old Thing to be correct; should be 2 at most
-1 Corroder, +1 Clone Chip
Gabe wants to keep his foot on the gas. I think another Parasite is better than an earlier Corroder draw
-1 Peacock, -1 Hades Shard, +1 Yog
Peacock sucks. I think itā€™s silly to leave Yog just because of Lotus Field; you have Femme and Inside Job, and the games where they leverage Lotus Field in a remote to win are games you probably would have lost with Peacock anyways
+3 Dirty Laundry
Dirty Laundry is a great card here and I think itā€™s crazy to cut it
+2 Easy Mark
They are definitely not essential, but Iā€™ve been happy with them

4 Likes

Have you ever played it? Its only dead matchup is sometimes Blue Sun (though itā€™s sometimes usable against them too) and youā€™re running 3x Inside Job, Shutdown, and SOT for that matchup. You really donā€™t need extra help against BS and against basically everyone else that isnā€™t Tennin/CI youā€™ll have something to use it on.

I was expecting it to be direct NEH hate when I put it in my deck, but it absolutely wasnā€™t - even if you click through an Eli for it you basically just used Day Job, which is still pretty good.

Iā€™ve explained in the article why I think 2x Corroder is essential in Gabe. Clone Chip is something Iā€™ve tried (see above) and it was okay but not at all enough to justify cutting a Corroder or Parasite and they are the only options. You donā€™t want to draw it early on and you should always have 2 Corroder in Gabe in my opinion. Itā€™s okay in Andy but I still donā€™t like it.

The reason Iā€™ve got two Corroder is exactly because Gabe wants to keep his foot on the gas. You donā€™t want to have to not run because youā€™ve not found a Faerie yet or youā€™re saving up for a Mimic. There are a great deal of benefits you get from running two, and all of those benefits improve aggressive play. I could see running three in Gabe, itā€™s just that good. You donā€™t want a slow card like Clone Chip instead.

I donā€™t think itā€™s crazy to cut it. Iā€™d always run 3 in Andy because of her turn 1 but in Gabe there are better cards. I used to have 3x Dirty Laundry in the deck and it was a good card, but I felt that other cards were better, Iā€™d always rather have something else like Inside Job, Shutdown, or better card-for-credit economy like Bank Job. Iā€™m not the only one with this opinion either - the reason I tried cutting them was after seeing the list that won Worldā€™s cutting them, so I did and it was a lot better.

Not in Gabe. Easy Mark is okay at best in the right Andy deck but even then itā€™s questionable.

As for Inside Job and most of this - Iā€™ve tried and tested decks with < 3 Inside Job, and with Yog instead and all that, and the conclusion I came to was the deck in the article. I donā€™t feel like Inside Job is often a dead draw, and its value is made considerably higher with 3x Inside Job and 3x SOT.

I said ā€œ-1 Bank Jobā€ which means I was playing 2 of them, so yes, I have played it. I just donā€™t like playing 3 of a card that is sometimes totally dead. You could be right that 3 is correct (i.e. +EV) even though it is totally dead sometimes, and I am just suffering from aesthetic deckbuilding syndrome.

Clone Chip vs. 2nd Corroder - Gabe wanting to keep his foot on the gas is exactly the reason Iā€™ve got Clone Chip :stuck_out_tongue:
Clearly we have different judgments of their relative value.

Easy Mark and 2 Inside Job are also places where we have different taste. I donā€™t think you are wrong for doing something different, rather thatā€™s what I arrived at based on testing.

3 SOT, 0 DL, and Peacock over Yog are only the places where I think you are straight up wrong.

Dirty Laundry can be a feast-or-famine card for Gabe, since the corp often preemptively ices Archives because of Sneakdoor. And Peacock is pretty underrated. There are actually Anarch decks where I would gladly play it if it didnā€™t cost influence.

3 Likes

why is it underrated?

It has pretty similar stats to Zu when you look at it on common ICE (barring Merlin and Viktor 1.0) and Zu is a card people do play and splash.

Itā€™s far from perfect, and Iā€™d rather have Zu over it, but itā€™s really not that terrible for an influence free breaker.

3 Likes

if you would compare it to FoN, itā€™s accually pretty good

2 Likes

If you compare it to hard at work its even better! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your decklist is sick. Instantly saved.

I wanted to ask why Peacock over Rex though. Your argument against wasnā€™t really compelling - ā€˜I donā€™t want to use Rex charges on HQ so itā€™s probably not a good ideaā€™.

Itā€™s kind of assumed you wouldnā€™t use it more than once. Burning a Rex charge for that Enigma over HQ for a Siphon is easily worth it. You just donā€™t go bananas running 3 more times. This is also assuming you havenā€™t drawn Passport or Special Order. Your memory is the standard Crim 5, and Passport + Peacock will never be in play at the same time anyway when you have Sneakdoor, Datasucker, and Parasite to keep flex room for. Rex is such a considerably better breaker that I donā€™t see why you are suddenly caring about the long term game in the article with Code Gate breakers when you have Parasite.

did you read the rest of the comments at all?

I mentioned this a bit above, but basically you canā€™t deal with Lotus Field just by Parasiting it.

I did try Rex! I tried Rex a lot, actually. Though it was a breaker you drew and couldnā€™t really use on centrals - you cannot spare those counters outside of remotes or a good Corp can abuse that.

I didnā€™t say Passport + Peacock should both be installed at once - though Rex and Passport do kind of need to. If youā€™ve got Passport installed and you want to use Rex, you canā€™t trash Passport for it.

You can try it if you want, but I really didnā€™t like it and found it was at odds with Gabeā€™s playstyle.

Went 3-0 with this deck at a GNK tournament last night. Fantastic deck.First time Iā€™ve enjoyed playing Crim since Silhouette/Quest Complete.

1 Like

I have been playing this deck alot this last week and I understand your arguments against legwork. However I feel there are times against NEH when only a legwork will do. At these points it is absolutely crucial you steal the agenda in their hand i.e. in the late game when they have overdrawn to beat RD lock. Which brings me to my next point RD lock is so important against NEH and with this deck it is impossible to achieve.

Iā€™m not convinced NEH is that great match-up.

Personally I think Medium > RDI > parasite against NEH all day long.

I agree with this for the most part, but a few things:

(1) Legwork can be good vs NEH but isnā€™t usually that good or is redundant with Sneakdoor vs most other things.

(2) R&D Lock might be impossible but you can often get a ton of R&D pressure by running it every turn until they ICE it, Parasiting the ICE, and waiting for it to become free again. You can take great advantage of the fact that they need to overprotect HQ/Archives by making cheap R&D runs every turn or every other turn, especially if they manage shut you out of HQ.

(3) The NEH matchup isnā€™t GREAT, but no oneā€™s NEH matchup is great. It is, however, pretty good, which is more than most runners can say. I think you can get 50%, which is practically a miracle.

(4) RDI and Medium are definitely better than Parasite vs NEH, but Sneakdoor+Gabe is better than all three. They donā€™t have a ton of ICE, so double Icing HQ and icing archives leaves R&D roughly half as expensive to get into than if you were playing some other deck, which is sort of like a temporary functional RDI until they can stabilize HQ.

1 Like

Yeah I could see the argument for a singleton Legwork over Same Old Thing (or something else) in this list, but it really didnā€™t stand up to testing. The cardā€™s great but itā€™s (far) less great in Gabe.

The NEH matchup is really good considering it also has good matchups outside of NEH. Like, itā€™s not amazing, you could do better if you wanted to (this list isnā€™t meant to completely shit on NEH at the expense of its other matchups), but ā€œreally goodā€ against NEH could even be something like a 50% winrate (depending on who you ask) assuming equally skilled pilots. I donā€™t know the numbers exactly but theyā€™re not abysmal and my games of testing against NEH have gone my way an amount thatā€™s high enough for me to be happy with.

Basically, this deck has a solid NEH matchup whilst not compromising its matchups elsewhere - it holds its own against Blue Sun and RP whilst having a very solid NEH matchup - not something a lot of decks can say. If I knew for sure every single game was going to be against NEH the list would (most certainly) be different, but thatā€™s not the field. Parasite isnā€™t dead against NEH and itā€™s often a low ICE deck as-is, so Iā€™m still happy with the splash against them. I do also contest the argument that you need R&D lock to beat NEH, especially in a world with Fast Track.

Regardless, your comments have merit and I agree - the list isnā€™t perfect against NEH, though itā€™s not designed to be. It has some pretty good anti NEH tech but I think itā€™s bad to have a deck that falls flat on its face elsewhere.

Still, Iā€™ll happily take an above-average winrate against NEH and also have good matchups elsewhere.

Edit: Dan basically summed up everything I wanted to say but better above.

1 Like

Fair enough I guess when I first saw the list I had to high expectations against NEH. My meta is ~75% NEH (for which I prefer Andy medium), 20% blue sun, 5% Jinteki!. I have been surprised how good a blue sun match up it is, what will all the tags and lack of bankjob targets. It has been a super-fun list to play thanks for bringing it to the community.

6 Likes

Awesome article! Iā€™ve been playing Gabe for a while, and this list has really helped me cut down on the number of ā€˜Better-In-Andyā€™ cards in my deck.

In your testing, did you ever try Peacock as your backup for Yog.0 (I only see reference to Passport+Peacock and Passport+Yog)? While Passport allows you to cheat some efficiency on centrals in the early game, as soon as any kind of cheap EtR code gate lands on a remote, youā€™re forced to start digging for a different answer. With Yog nullifying any 3 strength or less code gate, it would seem to fit the aggressive style of this deck very well. And if/when the corp eventually rezzes Lotus Field, youā€™ve still got Peacock, Femme, Inside Job, Sneakdoor and Emergency Shutdown to counter. Yog also allows you to save your 3 Parasites for more threatening ice, rather than burning them on Quandaries. Did you find the install cost of Yog to be too much of a tempo hit in the early game?

1 Like