Team Tournament Format

I enjoyed the team format thus far, though our setup was slightly different. We opted to go the all factions route with no ID copied. Further, the matchups were all decided by runners. The corp’ing team gives all their ID’s to the runners without noting who is piloting the deck. The runners pick their match together and then do it again for the next pairing. I enjoyed the blind aspect when it came to picking your opponent as well as not knowing the whole decklist. Either way I think it’s a lot of fun and look forward to seeing more of it.

3 Likes

Regardless of format, my entire team is wearing vests a la ‘The Warriors’.

5 Likes

Teams of 4 might be difficult to get together. Perhaps 3 is more reasonable?

2 Likes

If so, it’s a small change in the rules to have the captain also be a player.

1 Like

The silver bulleting should be a point of the tournament. You would have to prepare for the things that you expect to see. This makes “meta” and strategy a huge part of the tournament before it even begins and adds that extra layer I was talking about. You can silver bullet all day but if the opposing team isn’t playing what you expect, or your silver bullet doesn’t get the expected match-up what do you do? I would think both styles of play would be acceptable and interesting.

Do you play the expected or play the more obscure to mess with match ups? Do you have the perfect answer for something? It’s all part of the fun before the tournament starts!

The problem with 3 that I could see would be that the second player would decide two matches, and it makes the selection process a lot less important. But yeah having three people is easier in just about every sense.

Like if one side wins 2 matches, the third isn’t important?

Corps: RP, ETF, PE

Runner: Kate, Andy, MaXx

Corps pick RP, Runners pick Kate.

Runners Put Andy up, corps pick PE and the last match is set by their decision. Corps decide the content of the next two matches. That’s not so bad, it limits the importance of strategy in the match-up phase.

Maybe it shouldn’t be an alternating choice, and perhaps there should be an uneven number of identities, for this type of situation

If you’re playing both sides, at least no matter how you slice it it’s going to be fair to both sides, (because each side gets to be corp once and runner once). I feel like as cool as strategy picks are, it’s less important than being able to get together a reasonable amount of teams. I would like to see the standard be three per team rather than four just because I imagine that getting enough teams together to actually run an event would be difficult even with three players per team. The major downside I see is that there are more draws with three.

Proposed tiebreak for elimination rounds (If we aren’t doing double elim):

• If each team has won the same number of games at the end of an elimination match, a coin is flipped to determine which team is team A and which is team B, (alternatively, the higher seed chooses to be either team A or B).
  • Team A picks either runner or corp to play in the final game.
  • Team B picks from their team a deck/player on the side that team A did not choose to play the final game, then chooses a deck/player from team A to ban.
  • Team A chooses from their two remaining players/decks one to play the final game.
  • The winner of this final game advances.
1 Like

It’s worth noting that Quinns event was 4 per team and had no shortage of teams.

3 Likes

The real team format that needs to be played is Two-headed Netrunner. This was drunken accident of a format that came to be at Worlds last year with @Webster, @AceJack, @hasuprotoss, Chris McKinney and myself.

In this format, two players are playing one deck but have to alternate clicks, with no communication. We have since perfected the rules and is pretty entertaining, especially when you have 2 players with varying skill levels.

3 Likes

We’re already ready.

(Pictured: Top 3 at Madison, WI Regional: @Paranoid, @aandries, @spags)

3 Likes

Is your new team name “Games and Family Fun”? If so I fully support it.

Joe looks like he’s been doing a chest expansion program. #ripped?

3 Likes

Hi guys,

We have a team tournament scheduled in Paris on the Halloween week end forum link here ←
Here are the rules that we all agreed to run :

• Team of 3 with one captain

• Each team must have a name

• 1 pool of cards for the 3 team members (so only 3 Jackson per team)

• Each team member must play a different faction

• pairing :
    1- usual pairing for each team
    2- then the captain of team A choose who play the first match.
    3- Captain of team B choose the 2 other matches.

• Each match gives 2 points to the team

• Tiebreaker are the team which have won most match are first if equal the captains of each team do a final match.

On the sunday, we try a sealed format.

1 Like

This was the end of May. Joe is beefing up. If he can’t get a Worlds ticket, consider yourself lucky. You couldn’t handle his torso in the hot tub.

Team Tight Dick Playa: Games and Family Fun

2 Likes

@Paranoid is looking super good in that picture. He better be at Worlds!

1 Like

Thanks! Selling all my Netrunner promos to help cover the Nike Romaleos I just bought. Squats for the thots.

Hope I can snatch one of those golden tickets on Monday!

1 Like