"That's not a virtual resource" - The Apex Thread

Why the three plascrete? There is 0 recursion here, is crescentus effective at that point? What is infiltration doing for you? I’m not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

Now we’re talkin’.

3 Likes

If you Crescentus Architect, Apocalypse kills it.

4 Likes

The plascretes are just filling cards that can help you vs scorch, since you play tag-me. If you dont need them, you just use them to feed Apex using the ID ability.

Crescentus is just to derez Architect immortal bastard so you can apocalypse the s***t out of him. Infiltration is filling up deck slots, and can be really good to snipe installed agendas or check what Ice is on HQ before siphoning. If you don’t use it, you just eat it with Apex. The 2credits can help too.

(sorry if Im messing up with the quotes, first time using stimhack forum and Im a little dizzy)

EDIT: Now I’m trying with -1 Plascrete - 1 Infiltration +2 Uninstall (this event helps a lot with apocalypsing)

2 Likes

Decided to try my hand at building an Apex deck. Wow it’s tough! The influence restrictions plus the virtual resource restriction makes the card pool selection very weak. In any case this is the best I could do, haven’t had time to playtest it so it’s just a lot of theory crafting (it has gone through revision). The time I spent deckbuilding convinced me that there’s not that much else you can do but create a fun deck–it’s surprising just how limited the cardpool is! It’s pretty heartbreaking thinking that ghost runner, wasteland, chopbot, and harbringer is some of the best econ you can do–and it narrowly edges out infiltration :frowning: it felt like building from core set or something. In any case, I think the resulting deck ended up strong but not competitive–it definitely should be pretty fun.

The one theme here is to leverage the strongest in-faction cards and (try to) create apocalypse after apocalypse and (try to) thrive in the wastelands left behind.

Apocalypse Now

Apex: Invasive Predator (Data and Destiny)

Event (21)

Hardware (9)

Resource (6)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (3)

25 influence spent (max 25)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.
If anyone plays this let me know how it runs–at some point I’m sure i’ll give it a whirl on OCTGN but can’t for a while…

Let me know if you have questions about any card choices.

EDIT: Realized ghost runner can’t actually be used as econ in this build lol. Maybe PVP? I figure it can maybe pay for itself plus a cred or two and can feed endless hunger and heartbeat… Late game after Apocalypse + Levy it could be pretty useful as fuel too (or can just be dropped at start of turn facedown). I just hate Infiltration, but I could see it being better than PVP too.

Can be used for trashing things or paying through traces still, but yeah. Not ideal since you only get 1c net before it trashes itself. Could just click for credits instead.

Wish Apex got an influence discount on virtual resources to go with that limitation. Or some Professor-esque “get the first copy of a virtual resource free” thing, though there still aren’t enough good ones that cost him influence to make that worthwhile if it came with any kind of influence loss.

I’m trying Day Job in my current build again. I think it might be the best option. One influence, can play from 2 credits. Both important for Apex.

4 Likes

Sounds reasonable–and your turn isn’t even totally spent because you can still fire off his ability.

Yeah. I don’t like spending a whole turn on econ, but I can’t see a better solution. If you are playing Chop Bot (nuh-uh), you can do that too.

Edit: Or if you have a Hyperdriver installed… I’m still testing that.

And of course now we need to ponder what APEX’s day job is.

4 Likes

Something really mundane like finding errors in medical billing for a megacorp. However, finds an agenda every once in a while.

1 Like

I cannot stress how important Day Job is to Apex right now. Apex is so starved for credits early game that I often found myself unable to play sure gambles! Getting past the 4-5 credit mark is super important and necissary to get Apex on his feat. Once he is on his feat he doesn’t take much to keep running, so long as he gets some kind of card draw going (not chopbot).

When/if Apex gets some good Neutral/Low Influence Virtuals, you might be able to run Lucky Finds in the slots that you have Day Jobs in.

How has the hyperdriver lists been looking? I have no idea what they would even look like as I usually shell out six influence for x2 safety first.

Only played once with it in, and didn’t install it. So, no report yet.

I tried Safety First, but it conflicted with Brain Cage and Faust, which I rely heavily on to Apocalypse.

How has Faust worked for you? I had it in my first version with brain cage but e3+endless hunger took care of a lot for me. I also had 1 mimic for str3 sentries. Felt like Faust cards were better face down on the table.

Faust is the only thing I’ve found that really works for me. There are way too many pieces of ice that screw up Endless Hunger. I haven’t tried E3, so that could possibly make a difference. Influence problems…

Endless Hunger + Faust break almost everything. And I want to Apocalypse anyways. Less Endless Hunger use means more cards for Prey, too.

I ran brain cage to get the normal/six card hand size. I found it pretty alright for that, especially since all your other options are burst draw.

Apex doing a Day Job is something so hilarious, one of the best things to do in netrunner thematically

Customer support that a Corp outsources.

“Yes, I was wondering if you could help me with my Memstrips, they don’t seem to be doing anything.”

“STANDBY MEATBAG. I AM ANALYZING PROBLEM WITH VIRTUAL UPLINK TO YOUR HARDWARE.”

(beat)

“Uh…”

“ANALYSIS COMPLETE. MEMSTRIPS WORKING AS INTENDED. HAVE A NICE DAY.”

8 Likes

how do you deal with caprice on a central? it’s very difficult to land your apocalypse in that situation

Sneakdoor Beta ought to help land an Apocalypse, and negates Caprice if she’s on HQ.

I’ll give you memory issues of course…