What beats NBN?

That’s because you don’the take the problem from the right side. If both the HQ/R&D are open or cheap to run through, you close the scoring window of the Corp, regardless of the amount of creds he have.

@samRS: really ? I always feel twiy is the bane of Andy.I never lost to a single Andy on the 4 regional I’ve played a twiy astrobiotic.

What was your economic engine?

Imp, Medium, Nerve Agent, Sneakdoor, Keyhole, Parasite, Crescentus, Femme, (Corroder, Faerie, Morningstar, D4v1d) …

:whistle:

4 Likes

I’ve not had much issue beating RP using Exile, Gabe, and Noise. I’m not sure what I do that others don’t, I’d have to see your decks, but honestly I don’t have much issue. I always sit down thinking “shit RP, how can I win” then I don’t have too much trouble…

I played against NEH for the first time and took it down fairly easily with my classic style Noise. I know one datapoint is NOT a very telling study, but from what I felt about it, it was TWIY astrobiotics with slightly more speed, I’ve since played only a few more games against it.

Anarch is a great answer to NBN’s BS which I really lived in Louisville’s regional having dropped 0 games to NBN (granted no NEH). I think the reason is that Anarch punishes the hardest when they can get in, using medium, keyhole, NA and Imp. NBN’s ice generally is very frail and can’t really stop you long term (save for the odd tollbooth). Getting in and hitting hard seems to be the answer for me, I’m currently still in tiny sample range (been too busy to play much) of 6 games where I’m 4 and 2 against NEH with mostly Noise and Chaos Theory. I’m anxious to try out Dirty Hands against NEH…

German Nationals are finally done. The week before a friend of mine and myself tested a lot against NEH and finally threw all the runner decks out of the window and built a new one from scratch.

The following decklist is the result:
(He played 2x Easy Mark instead of the 3rd Inside Job and the Emergency Shutdown)

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity’s Shadow)

Event (17)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x HQ Interface (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••••• •

Resource (6)
2x Crash Space (Core Set)
2x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (10)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
1x Crypsis (Core Set)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
2x Passport (Honor and Profit)

Program (4)
2x Magnum Opus (Core Set) ••••
2x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

It carried us through the tournament (2nd and 4th place) with just four losses out of 17 games overall. I lost against NEH with it once (out of 4 games) and that was due to some terrible mistakes.

We wanted to be able to apply constant pressure on all central servers. This is the main reason we went with interfaces and Sneakdoor. In addition, we wanted to exploit exposed remote servers without the need to access them (John Masanori and Security Testing). We decided to play Magnum Opus because we wanted a reliable income source to be able to trash anything without worries about credits. The rest just fell into place.

9 Likes

Well done! The other three loses, could you elaborate? Curious to know more about the deck. How did you do against RP or HB Redcoats?

One loss that is still quite present in my mind is against Jinteki PE in the finals. Simply said I made the wrong calls, ran without enough clicks remaining and was generally to impatient.
The loss against NEH happened in round four and I didn’t run the open remote first turn. So he scored Astroscript in turn two and the next in turn three. I still got back up to 6 points but wasn’t quite fast enough.
I lost against Tennin, because I went after R&D twice in a row with 2 RDI out, even though he didn’t draw any extra cards, opening a scoring window for him. Was a bit of a wake up call for the following rounds, though.

The 4th loss wasn’t mine, but the one of my friend who played the same deck and I don’t remember what he faced at the time. It was his only loss with the deck though. Unfortunately he lost twice with his corp deck in the top 16. ;(

I didn’t play against RP in the tournament at all. All of my opponents did though. :wink: I think the matchup is pretty good, since lots of money is available and a nisei counter isn’t as bad when you have interfaces to just run again with multi access. I played RP myself and was hoping not to meet this Andromeda until the finals.

I did play against Redcoats but the game cannot really be counted since it was over within 8 clicks. In testing it did really well against Red Coats though.

1 Like

Looking at the NEH stats from the OCTGN dump, at competitive cut, the best IDs are, in order:

1. Tenma, at 45%
  2. Gabe, at 43%
  3. Andy, at 41%
  4. Whizzard, at 40%

After that there’s Kate and Noise winning 32% of the time, more or less tied for 5th place.

Not really new information, though I’m surprised to see Tenma beating out Gabe, and obviously we can’t tell which decks within the IDs were more effective. Still, it’s confirmation of what people already knew, at least.

I think this sounds about right to me from the field reports I’ve seen and the stats we’ve got on the top IDs. NEH is just bananas.

3 Likes

This Andromeda is really interesting. Could you tell a bit more about Crash Space, as IMO this is the most non-standard card you play? Is it more tag removal or more SE prevention? How often do you remove tags after Siphon?

Also, in two games I played with this, John Masanori was very useful during the first one, didn’t turn up the second and I ended the game with 31 cards remaining in deck (because, as usual in Opus decks, once you have Opus and breakers, you don’t have much incentive to do anything other then clicking for cash and running). John Masanori fits this strategy perfectly, so much that I’m thinking about trying to fit 3rd copy. Did you try this?

My guess would be that Crash Space pulls doubleduty as scorch protection and helps with clearing tags from John Masanori.

This won’t show up in OCTGN data, but Noise beats NBN. Like, really beats it.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s true. NEH needs to be lucky to win with all this milling around. That said, I had a fair share of success against NEH in the league today with Kate, key cards being Imp, Indexing, Nerve Agent and Stimhack. Stimhack into tutor speeds you up so much!

You prefer nerve agent? I’ve been experimenting with keyhole and medium- I worry that by the time you get nerve agent up they can score an astro and then start fast-tracking+biotic to chain astro’s together (or just top deck agendas), so I was thinking of R&D dig instead. Plus, medium or keyhole seems better in other matchups. I guess you could rely on indexing for R&D pressure, but sometimes those don’t show up early enough- I like the option to tutor for my R&D pressure. I’d be more inclined to rely on legwork for HQ pressure. That being said, I haven’t tried nerve agent. Have you tried both? What’s your experience been?

My win rate against NEH (with Andy) is about 60%. I suspect that better players than me will in fact have better win rates against NEH than that, since runner skill tends to matter more than corp skill. If good players tailor against NEH with Whizzard, Ken, 3x Security Testing, etc. I suspect that win rates will further increase.

1 Like

Exactly, sometimes you just have a unsuccessful run. Paying two credits to remove it on top of the click is just too much of a tempo loss. It also helps with Snare and Bernice. Scorched Earth I am not that worried about. The Opus usually takes care of Midseason or SEA Source.

Not sure where I fall on the player skill range, but I’ve had a fairly mixed experience thus far.

I’ve had absolutely no issue with Near-Earth Hub in casual play and league play for the past two months, thought all the talk about it was fairly overblown until I saw the OCTGN identity win rates posted today. In any case, with our first local tournaments since Regionals coming up, I spent most of last week week practicing against NEH and came away with a losing record. My Whizzard/Desperado/Security Testing deck was just inconsistent in practice… for instance, on Friday I played two games back-to-back, both games saw both Corp/Runner getting 20 cards into the deck, and the Corp pulled 6 Jackson Howards, 5 AstroScripts, and 3 Biotic Labors, while I saw 1 Desperado, 0 Security Testing, 0 Parasites, and 0 Datasuckers. At that point you just throw your hands up and curse your bad luck.

Then the actual tournaments started, and I had no issue with NEH. We had a 13-player tournament Saturday and a 16-player tournament on Sunday. I played Whizzard on Saturday and Noise on Sunday, played five fast advance decks (4 NBN, 1 HB) across both days and went undefeated against them. My only 2 losses as a Runner came to Jinteki (Lost to RP Glacier as Whizzard and PE Heavy Net Damage as Noise).

Who are your opponents and how good are they / their decks?
Your own personal statistics may well be that favourable, but as always it boils down to sample size. There was more Netrunner played at the US Nationals than you have logged vs. NEH, and that’s before we even consider the latest 310k OCTGN games. Those numbers all strongly favour the Corp, even when filtered to higher skill levels.

While I don’t disagree that the Runner can tech against NEH, doing so compromises the deck vs. other Corp builds and you suffer in other matchups. If you’re beating NEH by that kind of margin then I would suggest that it is either a statistical outlier; your meta is comparatively weaker than Nationals / the internet and / or you are playing something slightly non-standard that might be giving you an edge in that matchup.

Moreover, the collective internet stats in general suggest that the overall Corp edge is still decent. If you’re beating NEH by that kind of margin then you must be dominating other IDs by a huge percentage, which seems very unlikely to me in the current climate.

I use Indexing for R&D pressure for several reasons:

• it is in faction
  • it is cheap (the deck’s econ engine is Aesop/Cache/SG/DailyCasts and it does not support cheating out R&D Interface or TME)
  • it is fast (digs deep right from the bat)
  • its effect is positive even if I do not hit agendas
  • it enables selective Imp mills

Also it should’t be hard to find with 3xDiesel and 2xQT. Sometimes you will have a terrible draw, but that’s the nature of a card game.

Regarding HQ, Legwork is a great card, but I just have my influence needs (also it is not free since that’s not a PPVP deck). Instead of running 2xLegwork I run 1xNA and save crucial influence for Stimhacks and Imp. I really think that one of the ways to beat NEH is to play Stimhack aggresively, launder your 9 creds into the rig and just never let go. NA is not that slow with Stimhack around - with Clone Chip and SMC on the table, you can Stimhack HQ click one, fetch NA and some other rig piece and start tearing up HQ.

While I agree that John Masanory is really helpful, it does become a dead draw once you have one and can stay clear of tags. Additionally, there are decks you might be facing where you just cannot use him properly.
The only cards I never used or needed were Stimhack and Emergency Shutdown. Swapping one for the 3rd John Masanori is certainly a good option and then you just have to look for one good 1 influence card. Stimhack was mainly in there to have a surprise ready against RP when they try and score an early Nisei, never came to that and didn’t really need it in testing either.