What does it mean to say a Runner is "interactive"?

I think for Corp the relevant sub-type is Terminal.

Priority is for Runner events, I believe.

2 Likes

Thing is, players who complain about ‘uninteractive’ Runner decks are playing Corp decks that seek to oppress the Runner in some way. They’re just upset because the Runner threw a wrench in their game plan.

For some people, paying 15c through 3 pieces of ICE is not fun; so they play DLR. The glacier player gets upset because she can’t play her typical game. Well, guess what? Too bad. You were seeking to oppress me and instead you got beat at your own game.

There is no ‘fair’ Netrunner. There is nothing remotely fair about DNA Tracker. Corp and Runner have been seeking the most ‘unfair’ strategies since the game began. That’s the nature of the game; each side wants to be the predator. There should be no concept of uninteractivity.

This doesn’t excuse balance issues; but DLR was a super interactive deck, just as IG 49 was. CI7 and Dyper are probably the only decks I can think of that may qualify. There were lines against these decks, but even when the opponent took them, the game turned into a race sprinkled with RNG.

RIP DLR, the most interactive deck that ever lived

10 Likes

Praise be the moist loaf, speaker of truth.

3 Likes

A properly setup click prison means the runner gets no clicks until the end of the game. Which IMO is way less NPE than Bio-Ethics or Aryabhata prisons, because it’s 100% sure the runner loses the game and can give up, while in other prisons, while very unlikely, it still is possible to somehow string a few lucky accesses into a win so (at least in competitive setting) you have to try despite being in miserable situation.

2 Likes

I guess we have to agree to disagree here, but to me there’s just something worse about a deck that basically says, “Please concede or you have to watch me recur and play the same 3 Load Testings every turn.”

You said it yourself that even against Prison decks there is always a chance you can still win and to me that means the game is more interesting by default. You can draw for answers, trash their cards, run their centrals, etc. Even if they put you on a timer with multiple Bio-Ethics and Genetics Pavillion you get to make decisions up until the point you actually get flatlined.

It almost wouldn’t bother me as much if the runner having 0 clicks at the start of a turn was a loss condition similar to a flatline, because at least then the game would be definitively, officially over. The whole concede or watch me play solitaire because you can’t do anything thing just rubs me the wrong way.

1 Like

For me the NPE part is the time when prison deck moves from 99% win to 100%. For Bio-Ethics or Aryabhata prisons this can take quite long, for Load Testing prison it is short. I guess the difference is that I have no problem conceding as long as the other side indeed is at 100% win no matter what I do. The game being de facto over is no different for me that it being over de iure.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a key insight, I think. “Interactive” is partly about for what percentage of the game you felt like you could do things, even if there is interaction before that point. It’s the difference between Astrobiotics creating a strong position on turn 6 and converting it to a win on turn 8, and IG creating a strong position on turn 6 and turning it into a win on turn 20.

You could in principle resign the IG game, but you have a small chance of winning from central accesses so the right move is to slog it out. Resigning against Load Testing prison is the right move because you have demonstrably lost.

1 Like

If there’s any uncertainty about whether the corp can score out before they deck themselves with Load CI, I think that sounds pretty fun to watch.

You don’t have any clicks. Go get yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Museum or Hades and it’s impossible.

Well, you wouldn’t need to watch that one.

In that case you can just bid your opponent a good day and go for a pleasant bike ride or go to a website that tracks eclipses and set a reminder for when the next lunar eclipse in your area is.

When I corp, I think all runner decks are interactive until they win.
At this point, they become uninteractive pieces of unfair garbage.

When I run, my runner decks are very interactive.
If I win, it’s because that those decks are very cleverly built and because of their better looking pilot.

There is a huge difference.

:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

If you play a game of runner solitaire against my Jinteki deck I will gleefully set up my kill and ‘interact’ with you when I kill you.

One of the quickest routes to flatline is to ignore my board state.

I think question goes here…WHY IS DDOS NOT BANNED!!!

I don’t think DDoS is a huge problem without Siphon, False Echo, Medium, and Keyhole.

Best case scenario you probably use it to land a Deep Data Mining or an Indexing, which while still scary, isn’t as likely to cause a blowout in one turn.

7 Likes

I think the remaining feelbad cases for it are Apoc and En Passant, but I’m willing to reserve judgement and see how it plays out…

1 Like

The Problem with the term “interactive” is that people often confuse it with “positive player experience” when those categories really are not related.

Being Interactive just means you just have to interact with the opponent’s board state in SOME way. Regardless of how it feels. For example Siphon spam: To execute that successfully, you have to make sure you get in every time you cast AS. If you don’t try to interact with the corp before casting your AS, you will just slam face first into that static wall every time.

Does it feel bad to be on the receiving end of successful Siphon spam? Absolutely.

Is it uninteractive? By definition of the term it isn’t.

That is to say, the most uninteractive decks of course create a negative player experience, but still, the definition of uninteractive stands.

2 Likes

While I agree that “interactive” and “positive player experiences” aren’t the exact same thing, I believe they’re highly correlated.

And, your own example kind of proves the opposite point. Sure, making probing HQ runs to figure out how to land a successful Siphon is interactive. But, as you say:

Well what happens to the Corp when they are on the receiving end of a Siphon spam? They lose all their credits from multiple Siphons. What can they do to interact at that point? Not much, they’re just clicking for credits. I think most Corp players are mildly annoyed that a Siphon was landed, where it becomes a NPE is if multiple ones are landed and they’re completely defenseless.

That’s why Siphon was a prime candidate for a NPE enabler, landing the first one made it easier to land any subsequent ones, and in a bunch of recursion available in Core 1.0 days, and it goes from annoying to NPE very easily.