Who's actually good?

Good to see people are still interested in this. I’m not sure 9,000 points is reasonable, @mediohxcore, but we’ll see what we can do! :stuck_out_tongue:

There are lots of good ideas here, but I’m not sure the forum is a great place to bounce around ideas and I’d like to avoid four or five of us duplicating effort to try and create something. I’m going to PM a few people who seemed keen on this and we can coordinate through there and/or through Skype even.

I’m going to invite @spags, @beal2912, @mediohxcore, and @hypomodern. If anyone else is interested just ask to be added to the conversation here in this thread.

At the very least I’m thinking we will include all Store Championships and Regionals into an excel sheet that would track points based on (1) size, and (2) result. We would not score individual matches at all. All of the SC and Regionals are easily published and we can find the best way to get results into the system.

Anyway, let’s keep discussing this on PM.

1 Like

I’d like to be added, I’m trying to grow the Toronto meta and it would be good to have tracking for this kind of thing.

1 Like

We don’t have much information yet, but I’m guessing it’s not designed with being able to centrally house all tournament results that could then be shared. I might go ahead and ping FFG myself to see what’s going on.

Added (10)

I don’t know how it is in your area but I have some doubts about the quality of play in the store championships.
There are way too many stores that get to hold those (at least around here). Regionals, Nationals, Worlds and events like the plugged-in and chronos should be what rewards ranking.

I don’t think FFG is going to do “tours” anymore, FWIW.

2 Likes

Eh. If size of turnout is counted, that’ll help a little bit, at least? I know at our FLGS Store Championship we had much better players coming in from elsewhere, too, so that really raised the level of competition.

Hi to all and thanks for the mention!
With rankade you can actually manage any kind of match (one-on-one, faction vs. faction, cooperative games and so one) and is made for all groups of players that want to know who’s the most skilled in play.
The service is totally free of charge and is available through the web app or through iOS/Android devices (here’s our introduction video Learn More - rankade - Free ranking system for sports, games, and more ).
It’s not ready for tournaments yet, but you can create all groups that you want :slight_smile:
We think that the added value of the service is our algorithm Ree - rankade - Free ranking system for sports, games, and more . We have tested and worked on it for for years.

We hope you enjoy it, and please give us your feedback to improve the service.

Thanks,
rankade staff

3 Likes

I’m not saying that all store champs are not at a high enough level, just that certainly not all are. At least around here I’d say most are not at a high enough level where I would give credit for winning it. If we want the ranking to actually mean something, I’d rather cut tournaments instead of including dubious accomplishments.

@JohnnyCreations Add me as well, please!

@JohnnyCreations I’d like to keep an ear on this too, if that’s cool.

@JohnnyCreations add me too, I’m an organizer in the Louisiana Meta

Maybe not all the SC’s are of the highest caliber, but they are “sanctioned” tournaments from FFG. The original idea was to assign a weight to each tournament type. This would allow things like SC’s to be recorded (and perhaps increase interest in competition at a higher level) but not have a huge impact on the overall ranking.

4 Likes

Just because it’s “sanctioned” doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to include them in a ranking compilation.
Everyone and their mother who wants to host a Store Champion ship will receive a kit to do so.
It’s not really a feasible project to try and gather results from them all, and even if it might be doable you then have to do the cleaning (at least on a number of participants level).
On the other hand keeping track of regionals and up is realisticly doable and keeps the faith that the ranking actually means something.

Hey @Ilza, ready to have your head explode?

Not only do I think all SCs should be included as a matter of principle, I actually plan to lobby for the inclusion of leagues as well!

*hides from flying chunks of gray matter*

6 Likes

At this point, all SCs will be included, with possibly a minimum attendee threshold.

I’ll ignore @PeekaySK’s horrible idea for now… :wink:

2 Likes

Just wait until I finish my PM post, you’ll be agreeing with me by the time you’re done reading :wink:

1 Like

I believe there’s merit to include SC. In Toronto, we had stores host SC’s and all our hyper competitive players attended every SC. Just because anyone can host it doesn’t mean players won’t attend. Hell, that’s where I got the inspiration to play this game at a high level. But I agree, lowering the awarded point value would seem to balance the issue of its prestige towards global ranking.

3 Likes

I’d like Leagues to be included as well. I am in a city where a SC will likely never happen. We can barely get 4 people to show up every other week for a casual Achievement League. I’m the only person I’ve encountered in the city (total about 10) that even has all the cards. Stimhack/other League would give me at least a chance to get my name on the board.

Agreed on including store championships and minimum attendance would be a good metric to ensure that theres at least some level of competitiveness. Someone winning a single store championship isnt going to skew rankings away from better players who are likely to be playing more and winning more too.

2 Likes