Flashpoint Cycle!

I was half joking.

Although that artwork on pack 4 sure looks like a fairchild type card to me.

1 Like

Nah, it’ll be Fairchild 4.0 next pack, 5.0 the pack after that, and the long-awaited 6.0 in the final one. It’s Fairchilds all the way down! Fairchildren from here to tomorrow.

7 Likes

Pack 6 should have been called “The Fairchildren of Tomorrow”.

6 Likes
  • cost.
    I’m not sure you can make Fairchild 3.0 breaking cost in 3 clics.

You couldn’t with 2.0, but at least you did not break the whole ice.

Clicking for Fairchild 2.0 is okay for the corp, clicking for Fairchild 3.0 is okay for the runner.

Strange design.

I like that the Fairchild’s, while having very similar subs, operate very differently. Fairchild 1.0 is like a Pup, some annoyance that you just don’t want to deal with, but you will run through it. Fairchild 2.0 fits that midrange slot (assuming no Yog) and is massivly taxing, but it isn’t going to actually stop anyone. Fairchild 3.0 as a massive pain, and is pretty much a stopper. Yes, you can get through it with 3 clicks, assuming nothing else going on in the server or in the game state. But I’m generally happy to have a runner spend 3 clicks on a single piece of ICE.

9 Likes

You can get through for three clicks yes, but how many times when you “click through” Turing is from a facecheck click one and how many times from knowing it’s there already at the start of the turn? If Turing had the option to swap the ETR for a brain damage it’d be pretty horrible. That’s without even considering the additional credit tax from the other Fairchild subs.

In fact comparing Turing and Fairchild 3.0, for two extra credits in cost you get:

• two extra subs when breaking with an icebreaker;
  • three extra strength on central servers;
  • option to swap the ETR for a brain damage;
  • additional six credits/two trashed cards facecheck tax (Runner’s choice).

with the downsides:

• can be broken by AI;
  • can be Spooned for clicks.

Between Fairchild, Aiki and DNA Tracker, facechecking without a decoder early game just got nasty.

5 Likes

Made a deck with ELP BC and Ruhr Valley with Strongbox, so that might not be too bad

1 Like

Although to be fair, they had to have the thing rezzed before hand to spoon through. Typically for Anarch this means that they either blew a turn on it or had to David through. Both are pretty taxing to have had to do once.

If the runner spent two whole turns going through it? Well, its probably pretty good for me.

Also, ELP is a thing.

3.0 is also better vs E3, which is again rising in popularity. With just 1.0s and 2.0s E3 is a huge problem, IMO. 3.0 should help, ELP will be nice as well, as has been said.

Anyone see Viktoria Jenkins coming to visit HB? Plus ELP and the runner can’t click almost anything. Rumour mill is annoying though, countering both of those, but at least it means no points for trashing the exec…

2 Likes

The other downside of Fairchild 3 vs. Turing is, if the runner’s desperate to get in, it only costs 1 click to get past the ETR parts (ie if the winning agenda is inside). Say what you will about Turing’s comparative boringness, but it’s much better at forcing the runner to have a breaker if they want to get in. Don’t get me wrong, I think F3 is awesome. But it’s not bulletproof.

1 Like

How? The runner can’t spend fewer than 3 clicks to break the subs, right?

4 Likes

Turing and F3 have the same “clickability”.

2 Likes

Oh, never mind, I’m dumb. :S

4 Likes

I also had some thoughts about the comparative strength of the two ice.

The cost is probably Turing’s biggest strength right now. Although if AIs become more ubiquitous again it will probably be slightly better. F3 punishes face checks and while it doesn’t usually stop the runner, it is extremely taxing.

In my eyes it is more of a more taxing, but less stoppy Tollbooth. Much like DNA is a net damage flavored, less stoppy Tollbooth. I think if glacier had a chance in the meta right these code gates would be pure gold.

Tagstorm decks don’t run Watchdog as far as I have seen, but I think that’s also a valid avenue for big, expensive, harsh face-check ice. Probably wholly unnecessary though.

Problem with Watchdog is that the Runner is less likely to be tagged in the early and mid- game, which is typically where you Rez most of your ICE.

If you can breaking news, then big brother, you got a super temple. Maybe there took for a rushy type build that actually scores with ice and upgrades. Oh that’s rubbish

Rush decks don’t wanna glut their decks with cards like Watchdog.

Did anyone see the best combo with the bird breakers? they cost a bunch but for 2 credits u can derez the ice AND get the bird back to hand.

USE THE BIRD BREAKERS WITH THE LIBRARY!

click, run and derez stuff? sounds really good! click vs paying 5 creds seems awesome!

1 Like

The problem with Watchdog is my NBN ICE is already cheap to rez, and I wasn’t having a big problem winning when the runner was going tag-me.

With BOOM! out now, I suspect runners will only be even less likely to wear tags.