Jinteki.net - A deck builder and (soon) game play in the browser

An attempt to build something better than OCTGN to play Netrunner in a browser.

The chat, deck builder and game lobby are operational.

The gameplay is still under development. Some actions like card draw, gaining credit or mulligan works. Around 10 % of the cards are currently implemented. It is not yet possible to complete an entire game.

The list of implemented cards are here: Dropbox - Cards status.xlsx - Simplify your life

The deck builder implements all the deck building constraints. It is optimised for fast deck edition. It is possible for instance to copy paste a decklist from a forum and it will be parsed.

I would like to gather feedback on bugs or possible user interface improvements.

8 Likes

Awesome, thank you. I’ll be following this closely

You can just post here so other can react on it too.

That’s a great idea !

The Linux user I am thank you !

I like what you’re doing with the game interface. Would love to try it out further but there’s not quite enough rules enforcement to get very far. I think you need to allow manually adjusting values in the UI for the foreseeable future until there is 100% automation.

Have you considered open sourcing the code and getting other contributors? If the core code is solid then it should be straightforward to add the majority of automations, nightmares like Accelerated Diagnostics aside.

To be honest, there are already many good, full-featured deck builders out there so I don’t care for another one. Would prefer import from Meteor Decks and NetrunnerDB than making anything directly in the site.

2 Likes

Indeed i’m working on a manual mode for the game play and automate more and more cards over time. You can already adjust the game state (clicks, credits, tags, bad pub, etc) manually by hovering your mouse on the value. I’m working on ability to move cards manually.

The code is open source GitHub - mtgred/netrunner . It is written in Clojure a less mainstream language. Finding someone proficient in Clojure who knows the rules of Netrunner is not easy.

I tried Meteor Deck and used to be an active user of NetrunnerDB. I think the user interface of those websites could be improved. I like the sharing functionality of NetrunnerDB a lot . But for deck creation or edition, jinteki.net is better.

To import a deck, simply copy paste any deck list from a blog, forum, Meteor deck or NetrunnerDB and the Jinteki deckbuilder will parse it.

2 Likes

:heart: clojurescript

https://github.com/mtgred/netrunner/blob/master/src/node/game/cards.cljs

:wink:

4 Likes

Won’t you need to add subtypes to all the cards? For example, Beanstalk needs to be coded as a “Transaction” for purposes of Donut and Building a Better World. Hardcoding everything will be a big pain in the ass later on.

I would also agree with this. Spending time making a new “better” deckbuilder is not really adding anything new for the community. A stable and secure cross-platform Netrunner to play on online, though, is!

1 Like

Well the deckbuilder is already done. I wanted to implement the deck building constraints in order to validate decks. (The Professor, Custom Biotics, in faction agenda, Philotic limit, etc). I also wanted a quick way to import deck. You can’t beat copy pasting text. So people can still use their preferred deck editor. Give the Jinteki deck editor a try though. I believe its user interface is much better than Meteor Deck or Netrunner DB.

2 Likes

Ah, fair enough. Now, on to coding the cards!

As a Mac user, I approve of this project. I have plenty of people to play against here in town, but I’d love to have an online place to play as well!

The card information such as name, type, subtype, cost, etc are retrieved from the database. Only the effects are coded. The Weyland ID will take the Transaction subtype into account.

2 Likes

The copy and paste a deck functionality is really good. One point, it doesn’t catch the ID in the header. Not a deal breaker, but it might be worth adding it to a list of things to do when you get round to it. In fact if you paste the header of a decklist then you get some garbage in your deck.

e.g. try pasting this into the deckbuilder (it’s from the String Theory thread)

Chaos Theory WĂĽnderkind
15 influence spent (max 15) •••••••••••••••
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Honor and Profit
Event (34)

1x Quality Time
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Eureka!
1x Hostage ••
3x Sure Gamble
1x Legwork ••
2x Levy AR Lab Access
3x Lucky Find ••••• •
3x Power Nap
3x Scavenge
3x Test Run
3x The Maker’s Eye
2x Tinkering
Resource (3)

2x Oracle May ••
1x Woman in the Red Dress
Icebreaker (3)

1x Battering Ram
1x Garrote •••
1x Torch

This, however, seemed to work fine:

Chaos Theory WĂĽnderkind
Event (34)

1x Quality Time
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Eureka!
1x Hostage ••
3x Sure Gamble
1x Legwork ••
2x Levy AR Lab Access
3x Lucky Find ••••• •
3x Power Nap
3x Scavenge
3x Test Run
3x The Maker’s Eye
2x Tinkering
Resource (3)

2x Oracle May ••
1x Woman in the Red Dress
Icebreaker (3)

1x Battering Ram
1x Garrote •••
1x Torch

This looks really nice.

As long as it doesn’t have BOTH “i ctrl-Ced for credits too fast” bugs that octgn has – one where octgn gives you all 3 credits but only subtracts 2 clicks, and the other where it also takes 2 clicks but only gives you 2 credits, so you have to look at how many credits you started the turn with to figure it out – I would love to stop needing to reboot between linux and windows all the time. And that doesn’t seem like a very high bar to meet. :slight_smile:

Definitely would love a web-based tool to play online! I’m currently running OCTGN through Parallels, which works fine, although OCTGN has many of its own problems, like the “oops! you disconnected. now your opponent can’t do anything!” bug. Also would be great to be able to solitaire test decks in a more full-featured environment than the sample hand tools other deckbuilders have, without having to go into OCTGN.

ok that looks awesome but i think you have to CYA when it comes to copyright and IP stuff. FFG so far is only touchy about their art assets and has left OCTGN alone because it at least goes through the motions of pretending its not infringing on the IP + octgn is basically free advertising for netrunner. my gut feeling is your website might be a bridge too far and i hate to see you get the cease and desist when you’ve put that much work into it.

its open source. if cnd happen i at least got sources to play with it with friends.

OCTGN uses art assets as well, just in a way that is respectful to FFG. There’s no reason the same strategy can’t be used here. @mtgred would you be willing to use a similar scheme to OCTGN of blocking out text or art on new cards until 6 months after release?

Forcing the users to search the internet for card scans and import them in the OCTGN everytime a new pack is released is a cumbersome non-sense. Many players just don’t bother with that and play without card images. It’s terrible for the user experience. It forces the user to hover the imageless cards to read them. Players sometime play the wrong card inadvertently because of the lack of image. Other players just give up playing on OCTGN because of such kind of crap.

The main motivation for building jinteki.net is to provide a great user experience in creating and testing decks online. Removing card images goes against this goal.