Official Rules Question Thread

Hm, okay, I could see that. I’d feel more comfortable if there was further clarification my Lucas, but that makes more sense now.

Yeah, I’d also like to read Lucas saying “Yes, it costs 8c to steal an NAPD if it’s targeted by Media Blitz”. Just to be sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More news! A follow-up e-mail in my inbox:

"Zak,

Wanted to follow-up on this, since I see that what you are getting at is that if you Media Blitz an NAPD Contract, then all other NAPD’s would be 8 credits to steal. This is not the case because while the ability cannot be used on the Media Blitz since the titles do not match, the ability does not specify “copies of NAPD Contract.” So the ability is technically self-referential because it just uses the title of the card, even though it is not self-referential because Media Blitz is not the self in question.

Hope that helps, sorry for any confusion."

So it seems like references to single card titles (i.e. not “copies of”) that aren’t self-referential don’t mean anything at all! It seems an odd way to have specified self-referential effects in the rules as ones relating to the same card title if that’s the case, but there you go.

9 Likes

After a whirlwind of crazy rulings, I’m glad at least this one makes sense and works as expected. Phew.

9 Likes

Thank god. that was about to be just way too crazy. I feel like this card still has a lot of fun applications

So to compile a list of agendas this works with:
Mandatory Upgrades
Self-Destruct Chips
Sentinel Defense Program
Ancestral Imager
Encrypted Portals (+str part)
Medical Breakthrough
Improved Tracers
Rebranding Team
Restructured Datapool
Government Contracts
Government Takeover
Superior Cyberwalls (+str part)
The Cleaners
Eden Fragment
Gila Hands Arcology
Hades Fragment
Utopia Fragment

That should be all…unless I missed something. :smile:

2 Likes

I think ManUp is probably the best application. It’s the most powerful effect for the lowest agenda point cost for losing it, and inherently helps you catch back up if you can use it to FA more points.

3 Likes

ManUp ain’t so hot anymore with Clot around. But you’re probably still right. I think in the right deck Improved Tracers or Restructured Datapool could also be a pain…maybe Rebranding Team too (with that Media Blitz thing…). No inf needed in NBN either.

It looks pretty good if you’re running Medical Breakthrough too. If the Runner steals the first one and you Media Blitz it, you can score the second one from hand.

1 Like

Question: If I have a single-advanced Changeling with at least one Sub Boost on it, is it a barrier?

Yes. They ruled that cards can have the same subtype multiple times, so if you put Sub Boost on a barrier it has two barrier subtypes. Advancing Changling once just removes one of those subtypes.

5 Likes

I think the best thing Media Blitz gets you is support for the fragments. Feed them to the Runner then get their effect much more easily!

1 Like

[quote=“RTsa, post:886, topic:1437”]
ManUp ain’t so hot anymore with Clot around
[/quote]Nooope. Sorry, the FA potential is just a small part of what makes ManUp great to score.

Wipe viruses without losing the rest of your turn. Do the same with Melange. Easier Jackson digging. If you must click for credits get more out of the turn. Load ITD much faster so as to keep it safe longer. Score 4/2s without an initial advance. And so on.

5 Likes

Having played a significant number of games with HB decks focused on scoring out a Mandatory Upgrades, it is just about the most powerful agenda you could possibly score early, and now, Media Blitz lets you get the effect without having to score it as early as your second turn.

Permanent sources of extra clicks have the potential to be hideously powerful over a long game, hence why they are all either expensive or have other drawbacks (see Rachel Beckman or Director Haas).

2 Likes

it’s also typically very easy to plow through Clots with ManUp, since you should probably be packing some advance-able decoys in a deck going this route- cerebrals in cybernetics or AggSec in EtF.

3 Likes

Question: Does datasucker help prey?

I guess not, but an ICE may be passed before the encounter with it is over. I couldn’t figure this out from looking at the run timing chart. It doesn’t specify when an ICE is passed (after 3.2 but still during the encounter or at 4.1?).

Answer (figured out on UK Netrunners group on Facebook) datasucker doesn’t help. Pass is defined as after the encounter or approach step if the run continues. At which point datasucker stops reducing the strength of the ICE. (Get your Bishops out folks).

1 Like

Scrubbed will work too, because it applies the -2 for the remainder of the run.

2 Likes

We finally got a clarification on the internal workings that describe the differences between how Street Peddler and Allele Repression work on BGG a few days ago, since I don’t see any mention of it here, so I’ll post it here as well:

When you trigger a trash ability the ability resolves as if the game state is frozen in place, except the trashed card is basically a new copy of itself since it is in the heap or Archives. So Allele Repression can return itself because it does not see itself, it just sees a copy of itself in Archives. So, in effect, the game state is not frozen before the cost is paid, it is frozen as a result of the cost being paid. The freeze, in effect, is the fastest state in the game and overrides the trashing of the hosted cards until the ability is resolved. I think the easiest way to think of it is the game enters limbo immediately following the triggering of the trash ability, and only resolves that ability and chain reactions from that ability. Hope that helps,

1 Like

Well this is sort of consistent with the Spike / Wraparound ruling.

I’m not sure that explains the Street Peddler or Allelle Repression ruling, does it?

It doesn’t make sense for Allelle Repression. Allelle Repression is trashed and moves to Archives as part of the cost. Game is frozen as a result of the cost being paid, hosted tokens aren’t trashed yet. The triggered effect from Allelle Repression looks and sees a copy of Allelle Repression in Archives. Fine. Now swap as many cards as there are tokens hosted on Allelle Repression. What? Allelle Repression (self-referential) doesn’t exist! As Lukas states there is a copy of it in Archives, but that’s not the same.

How would that pan out for our old friend Street Peddler? Street Peddler is trashed and moves to the Heap as part of the cost. Game is frozen as a result of the cost being paid, hosted cards aren’t trashed yet. Now the Street Peddler effect looks for cards hosted on itself (self-referential effect). It can’t see itself, so there are no cards hosted on it. The cards hosted on the piece of cardboard that used to be Street Peddler (self-referential to the effect) but is now just any old copy of Street Peddler and in the Heap are still hosted there (while the game is frozen), but they can’t be installed. They’re on a different copy of the card!

It seems to me that the only thing that possibly make it all make sense is if during the “game frozen” stage when the paid effect resolves, there are two copies of the same card that simultaneously exist, one installed prior to paying the trash cost and one in the Archives/Heap after paying the trash cost (and any hosted items remain on the installed version while the effect plays out).

(As an aside, I wonder what the triggered effect of “trash host items when a host card is trashed” counts as for timing purposes. Is it a triggered effect “owned” by the player whose card it is? So should they be able to choose the order of its resolution with other co-triggers? Is it an ownerless triggered effect that happens after all player effects have happened? Or is it something else?)