What's up with Criminal?

Were they of the Parasite variety?

I believe so, but despite playing both of them I can’t actually remember.

I somehow managed to beat an ETF playing NEXT ice with no Para in sight (sorry) with Gabe. What a nightmare NEXT is without it, however.

I gotta say though, I’m quite in love with Drive By. REALLY helps Gabe out.

3 Likes

I like Drive By a lot. I think it’s good for Geist as well, so you don’t have to burn the limited breakers on nonsense Bait in a Remote.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird having to pay full price using actual breakers in a deck, which Gabe pretty much never wants to do. Feels scary, but it keeps working by the skin of my teeth.

Faust patches some holes and feels pretty nice in here as a surprise final resort option. Or if you draw it early, just have it on the board to make the corp sweat a little and slow down. It’s all about making them slow down and play at a reasonable pace.

The list was:

Faust Parasite Gabe (45 cards)

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional

Event (15)
3 Account Siphon
1 Drive By
2 Emergency Shutdown
2 Inside Job
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble
1 The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (4)
3 Desperado
1 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (11)
3 Bank Job
3 Drug Dealer
1 Kati Jones
2 Same Old Thing
2 Security Testing

Icebreaker (7)
1 Corroder
2 Faerie
1 Faust
1 Mimic
1 Passport
1 Yog.0

Program (8)
3 Datasucker
2 Parasite
3 Sneakdoor Beta

Why I played Gabe: [ANRPC] BABW Finals Weekend - #38 by Xenasis

Glad I took Gabe over Kate, in the end. Drug Dealer is really good.

5 Likes

Yes. So much yes.

2 Likes

It’s such a perfect meta card, especially with the outbreak of Sportsball NBN. You want to have a table’s worth of remotes? That’s cute.

2 Likes

Dig the list. Only 1 Plascrete and no HQ pressure seems odds with 3x Sneakdoor, but it’s a great old school feel Gabe list!

i’ve been experimenting with Paparazzi and Wireless Net Pavilion in a tag-me siphon criminal build, and every time i think ‘hey, i’ve got all these connections and hey! i won’t take meat damage from trashed Tri-Mafs… so i could go Off-Campus Apartment, change these Security Testings to Tri-Mafs, i’ll be in business…’

then i realise it’s still not as good, since Security Testing encourages spreading ICE around and the corp having less remotes (ie: less asset economy). by that point, Kati is all i really need tbh, so i still haven’t fully made the leap yet.

1 Like

I’ve found that you don’t need as much HQ pressure in Gabe, since you’re trying to hit HQ every turn for your money anyway. If you’re doing that, you’re getting plenty of accesses, and if you aren’t, you have problems that would only compound if you were slotting additional HQ pressure.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with one copy, and agree that it’s pretty strong. How often do you have more than one installed? Seems scary. Just rely on Faust at that point?

It depends on the game. I’d say in just over 50% of games it’s probably correct for me to slap down the second dealer, but the card’s hard to judge past the first. I’ve put three down before and it has been correct, but it’s a card that requires a decent chunk of skill to figure out if you install Drug Dealers 2 and/or 3.

Either way, I think the card’s good enough to be ran as a three-of even if you don’t want to install all three turn 1. The fact that it really doesn’t care about being trashed is just cherry on the already very sweet cake. FFG really nailed this card, I’m really really impressed with its design.

7 Likes

two dealers and a baby/tri-maf is the nuts. im liking the tri-maf because sometimes you need the cash to pay those boys working the corners ASAP.

Say you had an Armitage and a Tri-Maf, you could click the Tri-Maf every turn, and whenever you needed even more credits, you could click the Armitage 1-3 times

armitage or kati both are good supplements. really what drug dealer does is it frees up influence previously spent on card draw and frees up clicks that would have been spent drawing so its easier to sustain run based econ plans and use the powerful criminal events. i’m with xenasis on this one. damn fine design by FFG.

2 Likes

I still prefer Masanori instead of drugs.

1 Like

I enjoy John’s Macaroni as much as the next criminal, but Drug Dealer being completely clickless, taking so little out of a resource you’re gaining anyway, and drawing on the CORP’s turn is just way too good of a combo to turn down. He’s not any less good, but Drug Dealer just works better in more blue decks I think.

1 Like

Masanori is effectively clickless if you’re making a successful run every turn anyway (which you probably want to be with Sec Testing or Gabe or w/e).

it does have a downside.