2015 European Nationals Info

I’m working on it, but I won’t be able to do it before August (:

It is purely for statistics, as far as I know. Are you able to register choosing any other country? Vince plays X-Wing at my FLGS, so I can just tell him tomorrow if there’s a problem.

Ok I’ve registered without selecting the country, thank you.

Do you speak any Danish or are you relying on making yourself understood by pointing and other gesticulation?

I might be up for giving it a bash!

Dude, it’s (somewhat) northern Europe. Everyone there speaks better english than the average American.

17 Likes

So do most Mongolians. :wink:

I’ve done fine in most European travels, but it’d be handy to know if one of my Netrunner colleagues from the Midlands will be on hand to liaise with the locals - or if he’s just winging it like I normally do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

He’s probably just whinging it, but the event encompasses the whole of Scandinavia - so both Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Not speaking danish (or swedish, at the event has been in Malmö the last two years) is really not an issue.

I can tell you that English is not a problem, Nordics “always run in English” since while Danes, Swedes and Norwegians do kind of understand each others languages, it is a lot easier to do it in English. Also, like mentioned, people “up here” speak english very well.

I actually get the opposite complaint from people that move to Sweden and try to learn Swedish: "everyone speaks English so well and trys to accomodate me/our communciation so they speak English all the time, so it is impossible for me to learn the language :frowning: "

You’ll be fine

4 Likes

Danish is basically just a dialect of old English. I’ll be speaking that!

(not expecting any problems despite my only languages being English and Welsh. I love nordic countries! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

If you’re on the fence I’d totally recommend it. If nothing else you can try some mikkeller beer!

1 Like

About 10€ a pint is it?

I’ll look at logistics, not sure I can get there direct from East Midlands - you flying? Got hotel recommendations? We should probably off-line this discussion…

to the batcave ->

1 Like

Some of them are actually more expensive, but yes, €10 a pint isn’t too far off.

As for hotels, you can book accomodation (bed + breakfast) as part of the Nordic championship for 300DKK (about 40 euros). That sounds like a good deal to me, Obviously isn’t in the city center, but that should be alright. Takes 30 minutes by train to get to the absolute city center, and trains run every 20th minute (30th between 1.30AM and 5.00AM), so getting to and fro isn’t a problem.

Has someone compiled a complete list of Euro Nationals with dates? I’m looking to schedule the SRCI and am trying to avoid as many Nationals as possible.

Known ones are in first post.

Small update on the Belgian Nationals. Starting hour has been changed to 10.00 instead of 11.00

1 Like

The post is not updated. Finnish is not set yet, late August/early September IIRC and Dutch, was that July/August maybeeee…? Belgian is set for July 5. Polish was preliminaried at August 28-29. Germany, who cares, they don’t let non-Germans in so should not be taken into account for other events :stuck_out_tongue: (I joke)

Sigh, will make it hard to get there on time if travelling in the morning, 11 was kind of good. How far is it from the airport to get to the venue?

You need the central station in Brussels (8min walk to the venue). Trains from Brussels Airport (I hope not the Charleroi airport?) are at: 9:04, 9:17 or 9:22. Any train later is too late.

11 was horrible for those aiming at top 8 and working the day after.

From the Brussels Airport , you can take the train to Brussels Central station. From there , google tells me its an 700 meter walk or 11 minuites , give or take your walking speed.
You can use SNCB official website - Buy your train tickets online for the train schedule in Belgium. It should take half an hour, give or take.