OK - after I’ve had this happen to me about five times in the last week, I felt obliged to make a topic about it. Seems there’s a cancer spreading amongst the general scrubbish populace on OCTGN, and it’s high time to cut the tumor out.
So, there’s this sound that plays when the runner presses F3 to announce they’re accessing. The little warning siren. It’s there for a reason - we want the runner to press F3 to make it abundantly clear that we’re done with step 4.1, past step 4.2 in the Timing structure, and into the 4.3 paid ability window. Back when we didn’t have the F3 requirement coded in, there was a lot of confusion on timing, arguments about accesses, messed-up board states due to one or the other player being too trigger-happy, and so on. In short, pressing F3 is important to clarity in the game. It could even be considered good etiquette by the runner to announce they’re accessing and then wait for the corp to acknowledge (by pressing F3 themselves). As a result, some of us playing OCTGN a lot tend to have it so deeply ingrained that pressing the button is really a reflex, done completely unconsciously.
Lately, I’ve met an increasing amount of people who were not only bothered by me pressing F3 (“because of the sound”), but who were actually quite rude and aggressive about it.
With this out of the way, I flat out will not
- sacrifice timing clarity and/or tediously switch over into chat to type “I would like to access, please. Do you have any paid abilities you would like to trigger at this time?” every time I run a server
- suddenly stop following proper procedure dictated by the rules of the game
- unlearn a reflex that developed from following said proper procedure over a long time
…just because my opponent “doesn’t like the sound it makes”. Now, I may be deluded, but I’m of the opinion that if you don’t like the sound your local client makes when I do something that’s part of the game, the responsibility to do something about it is yours, not mine
So, if you’re one of those people that like to ask opponents to not press f3 because “you find the sound annoying”, then create huge drama and then ragequit the match (possibly using this as an excuse to get out of an unfavorable boardstate), this is my gift to you:
- Find your OCTGN install directory (probably $USER\Documents\OCTGN
- Within that directory, find the directory where ANR sound assets are, namely “GameDatabase\0f38e453-26df-4c04-9d67-6d43de939c77\Sounds” (should be extremely easy to find, especially if Netrunner is pretty much the only thing you play through OCTGN)
- In that directory, find the soundfile named “BTN-Access_Imminent.mp3”. That’s the sound OCTGN plays whenever F3 gets hit.
- Go find a different sound that won’t drive you crazy if you hear it 25 times in 40 minutes. Here are some suggestions by yours truly:
- A rousing exclamation from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Wilhelm Scream
- Doorbell (should @db0 ever decide to change the default sound, this is what I would vote for, btw)
- Windows itself comes pre-packaged with a wide selection of simple aural cues in .wav format, the location varies but in Win7 it’s Windows\Media. There’s quite a few fitting sounds there, for instance “Speech Disambiguation.wav”
- If your chosen sound isn’t an mp3, convert it. There’s a bunch of tools in existence for this, worst case scenario googling “wav into mp3” gives a ton of usable results
- Rename your chosen sound to “BTN-Access_Imminent.mp3” and overwrite the original with it
- Keep a backup of your modded file in case it gets overwritten by a future update
You don’t need to be an OCTGN subscriber for this to work. Hell, you don’t even need admin privileges on your local machine.
tl;dr: If you really don’t like the sound of the runner requesting access, please take the time for this simple modification, instead of pestering your opponents. Thank you.