Aggressive Negotiation: Fighting Games

If only this was true for me, I envy you

Hugo is terrifying to me. Why he so scary looking

The only fighting game I play is Yomi. David Sirlin is the best game designer in the world.

5 Likes

You wouldnā€™t know it, if youā€™d played Street Fighter II HD Remix!

That said, I havenā€™t played Yomi, and Iā€™d like to try it. Iā€™m also interested in Rising Thunder (NOT by Sirlin, even though many people think it is!)

[quote=ā€œsteve_houston, post:22, topic:4719, full:trueā€]
Hugo is terrifying to me. Why he so scary looking
[/quote]I donā€™t know, I think heā€™s the reason I never played Ultra. Too terrify

Would Hugo be Anarch, Crim or Shaper?

FTFY

5 Likes

I enjoy Yomi, but think the BattleCon system does fighting games in a physical medium better in almost every way

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing some Rising Thunder beta. If youā€™re like me and donā€™t have time to sit around and practice execution all day this game is for you.

Weird reading thisā€¦ I couldnā€™t describe better my own situation :slight_smile: .

Played a TON of SF4, SSF4 and SSF4AE. Started out on PS3, joypad and TV set. Quickly learned that quality arcade stick is the way to go, so i built one myself.

Soon I started to body casual players. But experienced players bodied me. So I practiced and stuff (plinking, double taping, safe jumps, option selects, all of this shit), but also investigated my setup. Turns out my TV set had 30 frames of additional lag when compared to an old CRT TV (measured that with 240fps camera). That amount of lag means you wonā€™t be able to anti-air jump ins in time (I mean sensible jumpins, not scrubby ones :stuck_out_tongue: ). I learned that serious players play only on lag free setups, so I bought a lag free lcd monitor. Then someone proved that the PS3 version introduces about 1.5 frame of additional lag in comparison to 360. At this point in time I was already an SF4 junkie, so naturally I bought 360 just to play street fighter. Crazy right? Thatā€™s not all, as time was passing I started to demand more from my arcade stick. Wanted to have more room to lay may hands, wanted to try different brand of parts. So I built this:

At the peak of my SF4 ā€œcareerā€ I was definitely one of the top 5 players in Poland. I also passed the barrier of 3000PP on both PSN and Xbox live. Then came the kids. Mashing on my arcade stick late evenings was not possible anymore, since this beast is damn loud. It was haaaard but I stopped playing. I will probably get PS4 + SF5 + TE stick for PS4 when SFV hits the shelves though. If not to play it competively, then just to body someone online once in a whileā€¦

Edit:
Also Momochi taking that final round in EVO2015 grand finals right after experiencing stick malufanction and forfeiting the round AND using borrowed stick was INSANE.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s real hardcore man, but you probably should have just sent the kids to military/boarding school, thatā€™s what Iā€™d do if I built a stick haha

1 Like

Rather to military/boarding nursery/creche.

1 Like

Iā€™ve mentioned elsewhere before that I play SSF4, although not anywhere near competitively. I personally experience lag issues while trying to play online (probably my shitty ISP), and my friends generally prefer to play cooperative games than competitive ones, so I donā€™t have much experience against people. My main is Sakura, sheā€™s easily my best character. Iā€™m competent with Rose, and I know the moves for a few others. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One fighting franchise I used to really like that I donā€™t play anymore is Soul Caliber. Iā€™ve never played the original, Soul Edge (is that right?), though I was big into SC2 and SC3. I eventually got quite good with Talim (main), and in three, I was decent with Zaszalamel (cool as shit), Yunsung (decent style, I guess), and the Katana/Shuriken custom character class. Managed to piss off more than a few friends murdering them with shurikens while theyā€™re grounded. 4 was not great, honestly, I felt like it a big step back in terms of aesthetic, gameplay, and gameplay modes - 3ā€™s story mode was awesome, why did they get rid of it? Iā€™ll touch the old ones from time to time just to remember the feel of them. I prefer Talimā€™s moveset from 2, so I play that more often these days.

Another series I wasnā€™t huge into, but like, was Virtua Fighter. Iā€™m not 100% how it stacks up against other franchises, and it has a few odd things in it, but it has a character (Aoi), who uses Aiki Jiu-jitsu, which I did a negligible amount of in real life (well, Aikido, rather than the Jiu-Jitsu version, but similar enough), so thatā€™s kinda nifty. I remember one time I was playing with by older brother, and he was playing some Kung-Fu guy (Lei Fei, I think), and we had a sequence where I managed to jump over one of his sweeps, then perform a sweep of my own, which he jumped over with a spinning kick attack aimed high - and my sweep took me low enough for it to miss. We both stopped and looked at each other and started commenting on how cool it was. :smile:

Iā€™ve played some other, older fighting games, but I canā€™t remember their names. I would really like to try Nidhogg with a friend sometime.

1 Like

Nidhogg is bliss.

I think youā€™re forgetting the draw of playing as Star Wars characters in 4, and ezio from assassins creed in 5, eventually youā€™re just going to have to play a fighting game with friends, and thereā€™s nothing easier to facilitate that than by having highly recognizable characters, which is also why 2 was so good

Anyone get down on Soul Calibur? Iā€™m super terrible at it, but its beautiful and lots of fun from a spectator perspective.

I played a lot of SC2 with student housemates back in the day, but that was before I really understood fighting games. I would complain that everyone was being ā€œcheapā€ if they used the same moves over and over, etc. I never played 3 as it was playstation exclusive and I didnā€™t have one. 4 was just bad, I did buy it but didnā€™t like it.

In '09 when I had my ā€˜awakeningā€™ thanks to SF4, I just never considered going back and trying SC2; then when the HD Online version came out a little while ago, I played it at a local game centre and discovered that a) it feels weird on stick when I was so used to playing that game on a Gamecube controller and b) I was actually pretty good!

Sticks are a crutch for geezers who have nostalgia boners for 90s arcades. Gamepads are just as legit and a lot more comfortable.

All I need is a good Saturn controller. That d-pad is flawless.

I personally have trouble executing moves on gamepads, but Iā€™ve also heard itā€™s a bad habit to ride the gate on an arcade stick sooooā€¦ĀÆ\(惄)/ĀÆ But agreed that gamepads are just as legit! As showcased in 2014, the year of our lord MD_Luffy with his PSX gamepad and Rose taking Evo. I think Nuckledu also uses a gamepad.

Aye, theyā€™re legit, even Snake Eyez uses one. I just prefer stick. Sticks arenā€™t a crutch, just a choice. My execution is bad enough not to matter in either case - I ride the gate, and on top of that, itā€™s an octagonal gate. I donā€™t know what that says about me!

Blasphemy. Iā€™m 28 man haha, sticks for life. But pads have gotten better

I still canā€™t pull off a dragon punch with any regularity on a stick. Gamepads donā€™t need to be any better than a 1996 Saturn pad!

The only other pad Iā€™ve used that has come close were the NubyTech SFII 20th Anniversary PS2 pads with the silly holographic character art on them.

Iā€™m more of a shmupper than a fighter player these days, though, and I prefer the pad for those too.

Double tap the corner. But yea I do better on a ps3 controller.