Aggressive Negotiation: Fighting Games

I’m not generally into fighting games, but I do own Soul Calibur 2, and it is gold. Talim rules.

If I were to buy another fighting game, I think I’d go for Injustice. The heroes are just so cool.

In the battle of marvel vs dc, I choose Mortal Kombat X

Isn’t Injustice just Mortal Kombat with a DC paint job slapped on? Or did they crank it up to 11 like MVC2?

From SF4 perspective that’s just silly. Sticks let you utilize consistence boosting techniques like double tapping or plinking. Don’t think of an arcade stick as a control lever. The right side (yup, all those stupid buttons) is MUCH more important.

I totally get it that many people prefer pads and are competitive with them. Maybe they are so damn good they hit all the 1-frame links without tricks? Or maybe they don’t play characters which live and die on 1 framers? Either way for certain games sticks offer higher potential. Can you take advantage of it though is a different story.

2 Likes

Those sticks are beautiful.

The Hori CPS Fighter (SNES) was a thing of beauty. I think the Saturn and the NGPC pads are the only things that get close.

From my perspective, playing SF4 is just silly!

I actually used to have a sweet Hori Gamecube pad that was shaped like a SNES pad. I wore it out playing Ikaruga and CvS2. I miss that thing!

2 Likes

I have the Hori GC pad in black, and Ikaruga is EXACTLY why I purchased it.
I went on a crazy importing spree around that time as well—Shikigami No Shiro III & Radio Allergy got a lot of play in my GCN.
The precision also allowed me to RAINBOW-V rank the entirety of Viewtiful Joe!

2 Likes

Mini-faction: Fightmans punchdrama.

Injustice is legit, and it plays a little more traditionally, with blocking handled like most 2d fighters not named Mortal Kombat. If I liked DC more, I’d play it all the time, but I do own it, alongside mvc2.

The big thing in this statement is the implication that I’m a marvel fan for life, I wanted to be clearer on that.

Mine was purple. The only major flaw was that you couldn’t use it for SSBM.

Is the Vita port any good? The Vita d-pad is amazing so I’d rather play on that if the port isn’t too shoddy.

Haven’t played the Vita in my life yet, so I can’t say. I can vouch for the games competitiveness though, and if you have the option get the version with scorpion and lobo

fighting games are cool. i currently play xrd pretty exclusively these days

rising thunder is open beta now, so it’s good for everyone. it plays perfectly fine with the keyboard as well.

if anyone goes to tournaments, i always bring my NR cards just in case so if you hit up southeast events like KiT and the like, let me know~

Total fighting game newbie here, but I’ve started to feel like I’m getting a handle on Virtua Fighter 5, which I’d picked up for peanuts from game stop. Doesn’t let me use the joystick which sucks for some moves, but I’m really liking Sarah and seem able to climb the ranks in quest mode without hitting a ceiling so far.

One thing I’ve noticed is that one particular combo i do seems to just tear AI opponents to shreds and I’m not sure why. Basically, I back up and then do a running kick which doesn’t get blocked something like 80% of the time and then ground stomp for extra damage. I can then back up and charge again while they’re getting up and repeat the process.

Is it bad AI, or are some non-throws typically hard to block in these games? It does get blocked sometimes, but if i get one through i can often chain them into ring-out or knock out.

I’m sure it depends on the difficulty you’re playing on. Virtua Fighter can be incredibly deep, I’ve always been more partial to dead or alive, but only cause people I play with aren’t as super serious/Japanese. I play as Jacky and Sarah usually. AI definitely gets rocked harder by certain moves than others, play against people to get a true idea of what works and what doesn’t. For the most part, a good rule of fighting games is to block low most of the time, cause most moves that require you to stand and block them are easier to react to, maybe you’re hitting the computer with a particularly nasty mid attack.

Yeah, I think that’s it. It’s her running knee launcher attack and it seems like backing away and running up maybe encourages the AI to drop guard and approach me at the exactly wrong time?

I was reading a bit about mid/high/low guarding and I’d missed that there were 3 different heights to worry about :wink: Had mostly figured low and high and was wondering if somethings were just unblockable, but it was probably mid attacks sneaking through my low and high blocks.

I don’t have any local competitors and I don’t think virtua figher 5 does online play on PS3 (could be wrong?) so it’s just AI for me, but it’s still pretty fun :smile:

did anyone just catch the grand finals at Tokyo Game Show? Bonchan (Sagat) v Dashio (Seth)… Zhi and Kbrad on commentary… catch it on youtube if you can. great finals

Are there good fighting games for Android? Really enjoying learning Virtua Fighter but taking over the TV is sometimes a hassle. Alternatively, a good Linux fighting game recommendation would be cool.

1 Like

Pretty sure Skullgirls is on Linux! That’s a solid fighting game if you can look past the…rather suggestive (if beautifully animated) art style. As for android - can’t think of much actually! I think street fighter was only ever released for iOS. The mobile version was pretty good, well, for a touch screen fighting game. I’m fairly sure there’s a King of Fighters port for android? '98 or 2002. Both of which are solid playable games in their original settings…but I can’t imagine they play very well on a touchscreen :confused:

So basically nothing for android - and Skullgirls is good (assuming I haven’t taken brain damage and just imagined it.) A deep, rewarding game with plenty to learn, but slightly too focused on learning combos by rote over anything else!

Heh met Alex at a SoCal tourny he held. I follow his LevelUpLive channel for weekly tournies, been mostly MK when I watch.