ANR Pro Circuit Official Announcement

Netrunner is usually bigger than X-Wing, but it’s close! I’m not tapped in to the X-Wing scene so I don’t know if there’s a desire for fan run tournaments or an SSCI like event.

If Worlds isn’t open to everyone, and it’s only first-come-first-serve to a certain number of people, is it really the “World Championship” then? Not to mention the fact it’s held in Minnesota and many players can’t make the trip.

I would like to see more events like the SSCI, which I thought was amazing. I would prefer a separate Netrunner tournament scene with their own World Championship hosted online at this point. I feel like you’re getting there with the SSCI. The quality of players was great.

5 Likes

We’re heading that way.

3 Likes

Keep up the fight, gents.

I’m all for giving them the finger and have the ANPC just buy tickets and give them to the winners. What is FFG going to do? Not let people in?

1 Like

Yes… they could very well do that. Then the players travel home to reflect upon their extremely fun several-day trip to a closed door.

3 Likes

Do you have to show photo ID to get your ticket?

I recall having to show photo ID to get mine last year.

1 Like

A fake ID as well as a pseudonym may be pushing it a bit as prize support then. :frowning:

5 Likes

We picked up badges for other people last year, and showed no ID.

3 Likes

I feel WotC starting to release Netrunner instead of FFG would be the best news for Netrunner since it re release. FFG is just wrong company for these kind of games.

3 Likes

Yeah. What Netrunner needs is a Mark Rosewater – regardless of what you think of him as a designer, he’s clearly steered the MtG ship very well overall in terms of the health and success of the game. And his community engagement makes you wonder where the heck he finds time to eat and sleep.

I can’t begrudge Lukas the desire to work on his own stuff, but he’s done really well with ANR so far, and I was hoping that would continue. We’ll see how the transition from Lukas/Damon to Damon/Eric goes. Damon is an old-school Netrunner player and has said multiple times that it’s his favourite game, and he’s certainly been involved so far, although not with the community. But his take on power levels, top archetypes, and the strength of traps/bluffs is somewhat concerning. It’s possible he’ll turn out to be a Mark Rosewater, but I don’t think it’s a shoe-in.

6 Likes

Topic diversion but when is this happening? That doesn’t sound too good. I respect Eric Lang as a designer but I think Lukas has done an amazing job for Netrunner and that’s hard for anyone to match.

3 Likes

Aren’t you guys mixing up the making of the game and stuff like marketing, community etc.?

I don’t see how the makers have to do with the latter, except that they are a face of the game

4 Likes

I’ve never been to an official tournament, but couldn’t you just buy the worlds ticket in a random name say Mr Gabriel Santiago and have the winner turn up saying they are indeed Mr Santiago? Surely you aren’t asked to provide ID when you enter a tourney are you?

Organized play for Netrunner, as far as we can tell, is mostly handled by Ian Birdsall, who has actually been a huge ally for us, and who has done an amazing job given limited resources and draconian FFG policies. I think those FFG policies are going to keep them from fully incorporating the ANRPC, but I don’t think that it necessarily keeps them from supporting us in other ways in the future. I have a lot of hope for the relationship between the ANRPC and FFG, and I am working personally, as hard as I can, to see that we get the best outcome possible.

Regardless of what position FFG decides to take regarding our organization, we will continue to expand rapidly with the full force of the highest quality player base in gaming. We will not go away.

24 Likes

Thanks, @mediohxcore.

Do you think it will help to voice support for ANRPC on twitter to Ian Birdsall?

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. I think we have his support. It would maybe help more if you figured out who is telling him no and tweet at their asses ;D

2 Likes

Semi related question - where is the New England circuit?

2 Likes

It’s worth remembering that a lot of this stuff is politics; Which is not to say you shouldn’t communicate with people, but that if you aren’t particularly skilled in politics you may hurt your position totally on accident. There are lots of books on how to get better at this; it’s a great life skill. Here’s one:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1508569754

What I’m basically saying is that if you want to communicate with FFG regarding this and you think you’re incapable at the moment of having a rational, civilized or even positive conversation (no matter who you are, this is not directed at Johnny). Take a moment for some introspection and decide whether you’re the guy who should be making those comments; and even better, record your comments out loud and listen to them (there are phone apps that can assist with this). And then talk to someone else before talking to FFG.

If you have the requisite skills and a silver tongue, go for it; but, you know, don’t be that guy. It’s really easy to be that guy if you’re already feeling like you’re getting a bad deal.

7 Likes

Keep your net-ready eyes peeled…

1 Like