ANR Pro Circuit Official Announcement

OTOH, if a company doesn’t hear about displeasure, they will look at sales and tourney numbers, and assume ‘pleasure’.

2 Likes

Displeasure 1: I acknowledge all of the good things, but respectfully this one thing is really getting me down. I’m not the only one and if we could change this thing then I think you’d have a better game, better sales, and a better community. But if you don’t change {thing} then I think you’re risking {consequences}. I’m hoping we can see some improvement so that everyone wins.

Displeasure 2: You suck. Your mom sucks. And I hate you and everything you do. I don’t think you like me and I think that’s why your doing this so fuck you and your game. Please make it better.

This is all I’m saying. :slight_smile: I totally agree displeasure must be expressed in some capacity. I’m talking form.

1 Like

Yes, tact is key.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, @gumOnShoe. I often lack tact! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If we’re doing aliases, Wilson Weeflerunner is clearly the best possible choice.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Okay, so you can’t offer a trip to Worlds. That does indeed suck. It’s a really cool prize to award a great player. The grand prize will turn into a cash prize, most likely. It’s the easiest solution.

I remember many posts about how the top-tier players deserved compensation, such as cash or travel expenses, either from FFG or elsewhere.

Isn’t a cash prize what the “pro” players wanted anyway?

2 Likes

I believe you’re going too fast. They can offer you a trip, but you have to book a ticket at FFG yourself…

1 Like

Very interested in how this is developing. While we don’t think it’s feasible for worlds this year, there have been talks about organizing something similar in my area.

1 Like

I know last year I was whining a lot about “wheres my cashmoney” and all that, but the more I organized tournaments the more I saw the backlash about cash, particularly in the SSCI, (WHICH I AM SENDING OUT RIGHT NOW, I PROMISE), mostly from people who weren’t qualified, but whatever. I still respect the opinion that the lack of cash in ANR is something that keeps the community friendly and if nothing else than to appease those people I think it’s better if, whenever we can, we award prizes that are not cash, but are just as good because whoever won them would have paid for those things if we didn’t give them away anyway, (datapack subscriptions, travel, etc).

12 Likes

For what it’s worth I think we caught them with their pants down this year and I don’t think it was handled in the best way. BABW will talk to its players and offer probably a trip to Worlds 16. I think a data pack subscription might be a good alternative. A handful of our players are coming anyway. If one of them win we’ll help with flights this year.

Madmen keep talking about buying alt-art Elis. Someone will have to get me very very drunk before I drop £200 on a piece of cardboard.

4 Likes

I think it may be better to have a Euro event. Would cut down on costs, and we could have our own WORLD CHAMPION via an online tourney.

1 Like

I still hate seeing this. We’re not talking quit your job, Heartstone, eSports, or even MTG Pro Tour money. We’re talking ‘cover your ANR costs, travel and otherwise’ money. We had this level of money in L5R, to a degree, and we were all besties.

The fear is unfounded.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: if you think we’re not playing for money already, look at eBay. I was in the elims of a Regional this past weekend, with said ‘money’ (see: Ed Kim/Gagarins) on the line, and, like the rest of the day, I’m continually reminding my opponents of missed triggers. I know it’s a long day, and would appreciate the courtesy returned, so of course I helped them out. The ‘money’ didn’t turn me into any more of an asshole than I normally am. If anything, I become more congenial at higher levels of play.

Word. Buying a few people ANR for a year is a nice prize instead of one going to Worlds, if that is what it comes to.

13 Likes

Wait, so there will be cash money prizes now?

Sounds like it’s time to quit my day job.

6 Likes

I think a euro event would be interesting and the AGoT tournament scene indicates that FFG are on board for this on some level. Still, I see ANRPC more as way to give some structure for several tournaments run during the fall when there are no SCs/Regionals.

In Scandinavia the large distance between communities makes prize pool something that really need to be thought over when organizing events.

1 Like

You’ve used this example a few times and I don’t like it. Exclusive promotional materials that gain a value due to the scarcity compared to the demand for them =|= money. Any promo card is ‘money’, even if Adonis is only 10cents. All of the prizes hold a value, be it a playmat, a promo card, a Data Pack, a gold medal (buying Olympic gold medals is easier and cheaper than you would expect), a trophy or basically anything that is represented in a physical form. I feel that winning a prize that is cool, and therefore could be sold for money if one wants to, is different from straight-up money.

I sell lots of crap, but usually only after I have one of it. Except those procos, #fuckthatcard

3 Likes

We’re not talking quit your job, Heartstone, eSports, or even MTG Pro Tour money. We’re talking ‘cover your ANR costs, travel and otherwise’ money.

I think that’s a fair way to look at it. Fighting game tournaments almost always have some sort of cash prize, even weeklies/locals, simply based on putting the buy-in into a pot (subtracting venue fees) and then splitting prizes based on placement (such as 60% for first, 30% for second, 10% for 3rd). Often these prizes for local tournies are pretty small (where 3rd place basically covers his entry at best) and money prizes are just part of the culture. It’s not like anyone has sold out, and the community is super tight knit. I don’t think there is a lot to worry about with offering cash prizes, especially since no one will be (at least no one should be) quitting their job over it.

I dunno, I can see it both ways, and I think a lot of people are afraid of the Netrunner community turning into the bad parts of the MTG community, and I’m not sure it will. Hard to say.

2 Likes

I think, after nigh 3 years of existence, the ANR community is pretty firmly set. I don’t see it turning into Asshatsville, unless real (see: 3-4 zeros after the number of dollars given away) money were to be given away, and that’s not happening.

re: selling stuff
Sadly, we live in a supply and demand world, and if there’s a demand for someone’s SC plaque, sure enough there will be someone there to buy (gods only know why).

I think some people think you and I are already asshatsville

7 Likes