Astrobiotics: Fun with TWIY*

Oh man, the decks I will be building with these…

Nice thread. I remember a choice quote from a conversation with Lukas at Worlds: “Why aren’t these NBN dex running Biotic?”

Good question.

Here’s my take. I ratcheted down to 2 Biotics. Maybe just bounce that back up. I find that the deck loves econ. (what deck doesn’t?)

Blazer

NBN: The World is Yours* (Future Proof)

Agenda (10)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
2x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (16)
3x Anonymous Tip (Core Set)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ••••• •••
2x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (5)
2x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) ••
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (7)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
3x Quandary (Double Time)
1x RSVP (True Colors)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set)

Sentry (3)
1x Grim (Opening Moves)
2x Rototurret (Core Set) ••

12 influence spent (max 12)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

No Howard, I know. Biotic is primarily a beginning card, to get the train out of the station, or a finisher. A little ICE heavy, but I love having R&D and HQ have at least SOMETHING up Turn 1.

He was also surprised at the lack of CI decks, but I think it was too early then :). Now, however… now is definitely the time of Biotic NBN (Sweeps) and CI (Blue Level).

I recognize that as a relative novice, especially with regards to NBN, I might be missing something suuuper obvious, but… Guard doesn’t really seem worth it? Most sentry-breakers go through cheaply – and aside from Inside Job I’m not seeing much that it shuts down, for its cost.

I know I’m probably missing something obvious, but it doesn’t seem remotely as effective as one would hope. Is it just a lack of available options, or am I clueless about some hidden benefit?

Nope, you aren’t missing anything about its functionality. Gabe is a tough matchup for this deck, and a two-deep server with Guard on it means it can’t be Inside Jobbed with a single Knight or other breaker. Guard isn’t great against decks without Inside Job.

1 Like

The inability to be bypassed is merely gravy for me - I just wanted a reasonable Sentry ETR. Many TWIY decks (including Astrobiotics) just want to make you fish for as many breakers as possible while I they score.

1 Like

That’s very true, although I do think shoring up a weak matchup has value. Ideally, each piece of ice we install is a new gear check.