BGG - "Geek Madness" - aka March Madness for Games

ANR was kicked out under dubious consequences. The runner of the competition said that even if it hadn’t been he’d have penalized the game by enough votes to DQ it.

BGG is a lovely (if ugly) site, but this competition is dead to me. I won’t be posting any further updates to it or participating in the future.

Thanks for doing what you did guys. I’m done.

[spoiler]Totally cool with this being locked and or deleted if this community doesn’t want this here. But if you love internet pissing matches (which I assume a few of you do), here’s one where you can support the game your love.

Round 5 vs Puerto Rico - Is Live!

Again, you can vote for whatever you want. Competition is meant to be fun. Everyone is allowed to be a jerk unless they vote for netrunner or something.

Round 4 vs Terra Mystica - We Won!

We’ve been asked to remind you that this is a competition for many games. You should vote for all the games you love and you can vote however you want. Netrunner isn’t the only game in the competition, nor is it the only game in your collection. Vote your heart. Also, feel free to participate in the comments section. :wink:

Round 3 vs Powergrid - We Won! Many People Complained.

Pretty good chance that we get knocked out on this one. Powergrid is a machine that’s hard to beat and we’re well behind already. So, if you care at all vote early, vote often. :wink:

Round 2 vs Battlestar Galactica - We won!

Round 1 vs Concordia - We won!

There are multiple rounds and stuff. A:NR has won the competition 2 years running and now BGG users are voting it down because they believe reddit stacked the votes last year. Its a drama fest, all you have to do is hit the green thumb next to A:NR every few weeks and our runs on BGGs servers will yield a 13 point megadig victory.

Or, not. Like I said: internet pissing contest.

Feel free to hit other green thumbs or vote against A:NR if that’s what you want to do. Because this sentence will totally change your outlook, I’m sure.

9 Likes

“You used the Internet to game our internet game… Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh”

ANR thumbed pour épater la bourgeoisie and because, although Concordia is a fine little game, it ain’t no stamherkin’ netrunnarz and that’s the double truth, Ruth…

I just love the butthurt from everyone else when Netrunner does so well :smile:

Let’s keep em coming boys!

Whatever I think of the competition as such, Concordia simply doesn’t measure up to the greatness that is A:NR.

How in the fuck do you vote?

You find the game’s entry and just +1 with the green thumb on the entry like you liked the post.

Also, you have to be a member. (not encouraging anyone to join)

God, every time I’m on BGG I feel like I’m having a stroke. Their site design draws it’s inspiration from a toilet post food poisoning.

3 Likes

Actually it is very early 2000s design. It was all the rage at that point, but it seems to me like they’ve just keep on adding and adding onto it.

Stimhack was for me at the beginning a bit too… something. But I got used to it and now I like it.

But still I prefer phpBB for my forums.

2 Likes

I moved 4 posts to a new topic: What software powers this forum?

I got a little pissy at the “Will the BGG stalwarts win over the Reddit invaders” or whatever it is.

The idea that the only reason A:NR won is because Reddit (and, to be clear, even if it was because Reddit, it would be because tons of people on Reddit who like A:NR came to vote - it’s not like the entire site would give a flying fig about voting) and that True BGG’ers would vote for other games is just p’tah!

Although if A:NR goes up against TI:3, I may have to just weep quietly.

1 Like

I would probably vote for Twilight Struggle over Netrunner. I’d vote for netrunner over everything else though.

3 Likes

I would vote for Twilight Struggle and Android Netrunner to shack up and make little baby games. They could be the Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith of gaming… Or maybe Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn

3 Likes

Bump for Round 2:

3 Likes

How did Dominion lose to Ticket to Ride of all things? Dominion is the father of deck building board games and is very deep strategically while being very easy to learn. A beginner can pick up the game in 5 minutes while an expert can spend hours analyzing a single set which is rare for a boardgame outside of chess or go.

Well at least, I won’t have any conflict of loyalties supporting Netrunner. Dominion was the only game I would have voted for over Netrunner so I can support Netrunner all the way now.

4 Likes

I was more conflicted; BSG is lots of fun with the right group, and group gaming is something Netrunner really lacks.

That said, I did vote loyally :slight_smile: If it came down to Mage Knight vs Netrunner, though, I’d have to defect.

I feel you. I’m a huge werewolf player so anything remotely like that is right in my hub of goto-games. I keep hearing about people in Madison who want to play BSG together and it sounds like its high time to organize that and make it happen.

I gotta ask, Ultimate, or Vanilla?

I’m a purist, vanilla all the way for myself, but having spent a fair amount of time with Ted at Origins last year I can finally say I’m overcoming my malice for Ultimate :slight_smile:

Count me in (EDIT: Count me down isn’t a phrase). I own it but it needs 3 to play so I almost never get the chance. My wife and I end up playing a lot of Mansions of Madness instead. I’d also super be up for playing Mage Knight if there’s anyone aside from Ben (the guy I come to the store with) and myself who want to play. We have a blast when we break it out every few months.

So, this is veering largely off topic I’m sure, but basically I’ve been feeling like our I’m Board crowd needs to do better organizing in general. Do people still like mailing lists? I bought the madrunner-meta.net domain a while back for kicks and wouldn’t mind setting up a mailing list. I’d do a wordpress site or something too but that sounds like more work than it’s worth.

1 Like

Hannabi beat Twilight Struggle. In other news, I no longer understand what BGG are voting based on.

5 Likes

There are actually excellent explanations for why this happened in the comments of that round. It makes a lot of sense if you consider the explanations without prejudice.

2 Likes