Blue Sun

Basically, start from this list, tweak the ICE a little to stand up to modern runners (and exploit new in-faction options).

A straight SfSS → Reuse swap is one of the ways you can go, yes. What I’m considering currently is whether the increased reliability of scorching unprepared (read: “no Decoy, no NACH, number of Carapaces doesn’t matter”) runners is worth losing the scoring out provided by SfSS in combination with EffCom. If you do that, you’re basically betting your victory on being able to scorch the runner (as scoring your 5/3 becomes very very tricky at that point - we’re talking all three Biotics in a single turn, without having space actions to recur them).

Now, here’s what’s interesting:

Strictly speaking, you only need 2 copies of Reuse - you really only want to play one of them anyway, you just can’t afford to be stuck without it because of a bad shuffle. You could probably get away with just two copies of SfSS, too - if you manage an EffCom/EffCom/PriReq scoring chain, you do end up having spare EffCom actions to play an Archived Memories. But, you also need 2 Scorches (duh), and you pretty much also need 2 SEAs. I mean, I’ve scorched my fair share of people that kept Ichi tags, but that’s an innately unreliable delivery mechanism.

So 2x Scorch 2x SEA (which really are the must) leaves you with 3. Personally, I’d be tempted to go 1x Reuse 2x SfSS and see how it goes. If it doesn’t perform admirably enough, maybe go down to 1 SEA Source and up to 2x Reuse 3x SfSS… but then you actually need Hunters and similar siliness.

4 Likes

I’d be tempted to replace the Subliminal’s. Economy for economy. Like this logic though.

EDIT: Oops, influence. Scratch that.

As a side note, it’s dilemmas like this that make me view the influence system as one of the best bits of Netrunner (which isn’t to say that it’s always implemented perfectly of course).

My main concern about losing to many SfSS would be Noise. You risk losing the ability to score aggressively enough to avoid being decked.

Personally I am enjoying my Trick of Light/Ice Wall/Crisium Grid CI build. When I say “enjoy” I mean, it’s possibly the most boring deck on the face of the earth. But it’s effective.

2 Likes

IMHO private Contracts is preferable to eve. No influence and a high trash cost. The play I really like is ice, ice, contracts unprotected 1st turn. If it gets trashed, I get tempo (even with imp). If not, if the hq ice was cheap, ie 2cost or caduceus ,I rez the contracts and click 3times. Win/win.

Yeah eve is great if it stays on the table. But the correct play for the runner is to trash it asap.

Also hive. Best early ice for scoring server.

If you’re planning on the scorched play versus runners who aren’t wanting to run, I’ve found one of the better plays is to start advancing and scoring naked agendas. Either they start running to steal them, or you win via points.

2 Likes

Anyone here who doesn’t thinks Blue Sun is a grossly overpowered id? Scorch is brutal in this deck, if the runner stops running to avoid SEA, you just score out. I’d hate to go back to the days of 2-3 plascrete in each runner deck.

What do you mean, go back? I never left :stuck_out_tongue:

(seriously though, you can still play Decoy with Hostages, NACH, or a bunch of other choices)

2 Likes

Actually I never went in with plascretes :slight_smile: Always prefered to go the money route…

It’s true, you can concentrate on avoiding the tag from SEA just as well. But you need something, because this ID has put Weyland back on the map all by itself.

Played my first game with Blue Sun yesterday; won.

Veterans Tax 1.0

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (12)

Asset (5)

Upgrade (1)

Operation (12)

Barrier (3)

Code Gate (6)

Sentry (8)

Other (2)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I played against this deck on OCTGN the night before, which is what inspired me to try to recreate it. It is a taxing glacier deck. Check the published list on NRDB for my small write-up. I’m sure a few pieces will shift, some will come and go, but mostly I think this list has a lot of potential.

When I read the name I was praying for 3 of Ireress

2 Likes

Surely -2 Veteran’s Program, +1 Project Atlas, +1 Elizabeth Mills if you must remove BP. And two Scorched Earth relying on two Shadow for tags?

I don’t particularly care about BP; the Veterans are just Archer food that allow me the opportunity to remove BP. I would never run Mills in this deck. I will probably test Project Vulcan in place of VP at some point. The click compression would be nice, but it hurts a lot if it is stolen. Veterans Program is just the safer, likely better choice. False Lead may work, too.

If you read the write-up, it addresses your second remark. Here, I’ll make it easy for you:
“You may have a point with Scorch. It’s not going to win me many games, but the threat of it and the potential for easy wins when they don’t respect it may make it worth it. More testing is needed!”

I think bluffs belong in gameplay, not deck design.

I could almost buy that Veteran’s Program is the best 1 pointer (your deck can gain at most 3 bad pub and remove 6) but cutting a Project Atlas is pretty close to dropping an Astroscript from NBN.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I adore Atlas. It is Weyland’s best Agenda. I guess one could argue there’s really no point to not slotting a third one, since both VP and Atlas cost 3 to score, and Atlas is worth 2, with the potential for a powerful tutoring. Replacing a VP then makes me want to drop another VP to stay at 20 AP; I am then only running 4 Agendas that are prime Archer food (3 Hostile + 1 VP). Obviously you can Archer anything; you can tutor off an Atlas if you need to before you eat it. And it’s not as if you really lost anything, since it was functionally the same as scoring a VP. Definitely worth considering, now that I think about it. I fully understand about the Scorched Earth, too. If it’s going to sit in my hand unused for the majority of games, it should probably be replaced.

IDK if people saw this deck yet, but it looks nasty.

Tournament-Winning Decklist: Keystone v2.0

Agenda (12)

Asset (5)

Operation (15)

Barrier (8)

Code Gate (3)

Sentry (6)

49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Very extensive write-up on it, too.

Well i think i saw it here :smile:

I certainly didn’t want to start another blue sun thread so I’m using this one to explore this fun times list.
I haven’t seen any lists posted that deal so heavily in this sort of recursion.
I like Adonis a lot and also architect, I find that with so many architects and will’o’s i can generally get architect to fire 3-4 times a game, this helps recur a lot of the lost clicks from blue sun in general and also helps keep my archive pretty cleaned up. I aso feel very safe playing Adonis and he never leaves me in a bad spot like OAI does.
I’m not saying this is the best blue sun but I really enjoy the program control I have over my opponents

Agenda (10)
1x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (6)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set) ••••• •
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (2)
3x Will-o’-the-Wisp (The Spaces Between)

Operation (11)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Interns (Mala Tempora)
3x Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora)
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)

Barrier (7)
3x Hadrian’s Wall (Core Set)
1x Hive (Double Time)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)

Code Gate (5)
3x Datapike (Creation and Control)
2x Wendigo (First Contact)

Sentry (7)
2x Archer (Core Set)
3x Architect (Up and Over) ••••• •
2x Guard

49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

2 Likes

I’ll add that much of the strategy involved in dismantling a blue sun deck is finding ways to destroy the investment economy, getting through large OAI ice with D4v1d or shutdown and crescentus on anything rezzed. Adonis (as an economy alternative to OAI) and Architect both help to almost completely avoid/repair these issues.

The other thing about this build is having the economy to recur will’o often. People are always like ‘blue sun’s got money, you gotta use it for a win condition.’ I personally prefer the ability to recur a fun card that can’t be recurred in decks with less money.

The only switch out I’m so far considering is one Jackson for a reversed accounts. Since that card also can be pretty exciting versus the right decks.

Lockout followed by leisurely scoring is a win condition.

I know what you mean, I was thinking more of single turn money dumps like sea, or ash. I agree that lockout is a viable strategy with its own ups and downs.
One other thought about card interaction here, architect can be pretty useful with power shutdown since you have some opportunity to view the dumpable cards before playing the shutdown.

1 Like