Cards designed by champions

Yes, but that’s a problem I think. You would play it, without specifying in what deck or to what end (and from I read I agree). If it is good enough to go into any deck with no questions asked then that implies that it is too strong and not situational enough. FFG were right to challenge Dan on the influence level of the card. At one influence it would be ubiquitous which (IMHO) is poor design, at two it leaves some interesting deck building decisions because the opportunity cost of playing it is significant.

It’s a tough challenge I think. You want your champion card to see play, but if it ends up everywhere then it’s likely to wind up on some kind of banned or restricted list eventually (which happened in AGoT to a few champ cards). The real difficulty is (presumably) not knowing all the cards between now and when your card will be released (upwards of a year for sure). You can’t design it to interact with anything you don’t know about and the decks of today could be obsolete in a year so you can’t really design it for an existing archetype. As such you wind up designing something that’s fairly generically good and has utility in a range of deck archetypes.

So Dan, what does that feel to create 2 cards for the game you are playing ? :smile:

I don’t know if you will be able to answer me but still, I’m a little curious about this great opportunity. Do you get to choose freely your side and type ? (Could you choose to make a card for a mini-faction like Adam ?) Are you allowed to ask for an ID ? Do you get a sneak peek at the themas in which your card will be released ? Are you allowed to twist some aspect of the background ? (Like having a Weyland Bioroid or a runner psi card ?)

If @mediohxcore doesn’t answer you here, you may try his AMA here:

I’m pretty sure he said before that he isn’t allowed to make an ID.

i don’t know if i necessarily agree or disagree with your overall post. you raise some interesting points, but i have clearly been a little ambiguous about what the card does (or has been said it will do), so i don’t think anyone can really read much into my leaving out what types of decks an unspecified card would fit into.

I am going to stop talking about the design process and not publicly spoil my card against the nondisclosure agreement this time, but the story in your head about the design process is backwards. Whatever you heard me say you should listen to again.

1 Like

Fair enough, it was a while ago and I haven’t been over it again, I don’t fully remember exactly what I read/heard or how much of it was second-hand.

I guess you have a second one to think about now too! Congrats on the win. When I was watching it on stream I thought “massive anticlimax” after turn one, compared to the tension of Cerberus’ game beforehand, but it turned into a real nailbiter. Well played man.

Heard Jens’ card is in Mumbad pack 2, and is quite interesting.

6 Likes

You think if ANRPC gets big they’ll let you make a card?

On some real levels though, where is Jeremy Zwirn to give us insight on how champions design cards?
If I win the glorious world (of Minnesota) tournament, I’d study Architect to get a sort of guideline on how to make a card, or at least a week designed piece of ice.

@mediohxcore what cards are your favorite/what would your hypothetical inspiration be for your 2(!) cards you have to design?

I’m done talking about making cards.

5 Likes

Haha, you must have talked a lot about it before. Someone link me!

Lock thread, please.

3 Likes