Chronos'd

If you think your weakest matchup is against Criminal, Chronos Project isn’t going to help much. If you suffer against shaper and/or anarch, I think Chronos is very playable.

It is a 3/1 though.

2 Likes

I think that it’s playable in a Maxx/Kate-heavy environment but only in decks that were playing a 3/1 anyway. So basically, Jinteki PE and HBFA. Cutting a Gila Hands from either deck is pretty low-cost to get one Chronos, especially in PE, where before you were playing 3 Gila, as the 2nd scored Gila doesn’t do anything anyway.

4 Likes

@bayushi_david Yes, I ‘liked’ this very much :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Chronos is a lot more dangerous for Prepaid Kate than it is for Reg-Ass MaxX, IMO. I’ve been Chronosed multiple times as MaxX, including twice in one game to get my Levy and all my Parasites, and I still won. I think the only way it’s actually crippling is if they can completely deny you one type of breaker, and that’s hard to do.

1 Like

You’ll note I withheld names to protect the innocent ;-).

Can cut an NAPD in RP for one. Been nailed by it.

PPVP and MaxX are both Tier 1 going forward. Please, don’t play Chronos.

3 Likes

I have to admit playing RP i never felt that criminal was a weak matchup. Turning off sec testing just by icing centrals, which can happen fairly early, strong econ to rebound after siphon etc etc. I could be totally wrong about that though, but in my experience from the past few months of SC’s the hardest matchup was regass maxx with cash and breakers for days. I think a singleton CP for handling ppvp kate and maxx is worth -1 NAPD.

Someone pointed out it shifts the scoring pattern in RP as well, away from the usual 2x 4/2 1x 5/3, which is a good thing i think, if only that it gives you more options.

1 Like

It’s much more difficult now with Stealth Andy using switchblade for otherwise taxing sentries like Tsurugi and Komainu :confused:

This is basically my feeling. I think the inclusion in RP is somewhat questionable. Hard to test reliably, given that as RP you’ll probably still win most games anyways, but in addition to losing a card slot, you also are significantly increasing the number (by points and by cards) of easily stolen agendas in a deck that relies pretty heavily on its self-defending agendas to buy time to build up to its win condition.

Very true, although the recent anti-stealth RP builds i think are a solid answer to that, post-clot i expect to see more stealth builds as now the runner has the breathing space to set up, so in parallel to that i see people moving towards more general taxation** builds for glacier. Thats what im aiming for anyone, no doubt there are issues with this line of thinking more experienced players will spot and be able to correct me on.

**Edit: general taxation is a bit vague and actually inaccurate, i mean to say hard stop taxing ice like tollbooth, eli etc

The self defending aspect of the agendas in RP is only one half of it, the other half of the agenda spread is entirely offensive - nisei + caprice + excalibur is the only scoring server iv needed for so many games its a bit daft.
Your point is a solid one though and it requires a lot more testing before the agenda slot can solidly be called as a chronos.

How are you losing a slot? The 3 TFP/3 NAPD/3 Nisei build becomes 3 TFP/2 NAPD/3 Nisei/1 Chronos. If people are running with 4 creds against RP (sorry, @mtgred), they’re doing it wrong. Plus, if you have any DBS, the longer game of RP, combined with DBS’ search, will allow for that 1 Chronos to filter up, if needed.

6 Likes

Ah, good point! All this time and I’ve never noticed it’s a 21-point spread! well, that makes the case for at least trying chronos in my RP a lot easier… still seems like a long shot to have it actually work, but in those games when it does…

2 Likes

Two keys: it’s unexpected in the build, and you never have to advance it. One can score it blind, and it’s not terrible if you lose it. It’s really a meta card, and, like NAPD, you don’t want to have to score it unless you really have to.

I can attest that the singleton CP in RP has been a valuable change for me (not that anyone should play this terrible card–keep it in the binder).

You can lay it out flat and bluff a PAD or a Mental Health. Or if you want to distract the runner and/or make her spend a bunch of credits, you can IA or IAA it in your scoring remote and open up some Nisei scoring windows, whether they get in or not.

When you have an opportunity to disrupt over 50% of the field (Kate and most Anarchs and especially MaxX) I think it’s worth finding a spot for it (if you are a dummy who likes bad cards).

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any, mind PMing me a sample list?

I will put Chronos in every Corp deck I build this regional season. Be ready.

4 Likes

I’ve been testing it as a one of. It is useless against criminal, bit it generally hurts shaper and anarch, and hurting 2/3 potential matchups is tempting.

Typing on my phone right now but there is mention of the original idea in the competitive decks post o&c thread, kiv has played a few games with it recently of which there are videos on his youtube channel (as ChrisM - hope thats right!). Basic idea is minimal sentries and overloading barriers to force a stealth deck to rely on the most inefficient breaker - their fracter.

1 Like

Got Chronos’d as MaxX with my whole deck in the bin. 40 cards gone, ouch!

3 Likes