Competitive Podcast: The Winning Agenda

Greetings Stimhackers,

The Winning Agenda Podcast is a group of Android: Netrunner players based in Melbourne, Australia.

We believe that there is a gap in existing Netrunner content available online. Specifically, we want to see more discussion of successful and powerful deck archetypes, what makes them strong, what their matchups are against other dominant strategies, and what options for customisation exist within them.

Our weekly podcast will provide a range of content, including:

Metagame analysis
Deck techs
Testing tips
Testing results and feedback
Discussion of new cards and archetypes
Interactive Q&A

Our first episode is available now at http://thewinningagenda.wordpress.com/ !

You can also hit us up on Facebook at Redirecting...

We hope you enjoy, and please send us feedback or questions, decks or topics that you would like us to discuss on the podcast to thewinningagenda@gmail.com

We want to develop an interactive, strategy-based discussion with our audience, and as a conversation starter, we are offering to purchase and ship one copy of the Up and Over Data Pack to the person who submits our favourite question within the next two weeks. We will discuss and answer your question on the podcast, and ship you a copy of Up and Over absolutely free!

Below are the Decklists for the Deck Techs in Episode One:

Jesse’s Weyland
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (49/15) – Australian Nationals (80 players) 1st Place

Agenda:

1 Posted Bounty

2 Government Contracts

3 Project Atlas

3 Hostile Takeover

2 NAPD Contract

Sentry:

3 Archer

2 Caduceus

1 Taurus

Barrier:

3 Ice Wall

1 Hive

1 Wall of Static

Code Gate:

1 Datapike

2 Lotus Field * *

2 Quandary

Operation:

3 Hedge Fund

3 Restructure

3 Beanstalk Royalties

3 Scorched Earth

2 SEA Source ** **

2 Power Shutdown

Asset:

3 Snare ** ** **

3 Jackson Howard * * *

Wilfy’s Andromeda

Andromeda, Dispossessed Ristie (45/15)

Events:

3 Express Delivery

3 Sure Gamble

3 Dirty Laundry

3 Legwork

3 Account Siphon

3 Inside Job

3 Special Order

2 Emergency Shutdown

2 Hostage

Programs:

2 Faerie

3 Security Testing

3 Desperado

2 Corroder ** **

1 Passport

1 Yog.0 *

1 Mimic *

3 Datasucker * * *

1 Crypsis

Hardware:

2 R&D Interface ** **

Resources:

1 Professional Contacts **

Liam’s Andromeda

Andromeda, Dispossessed Ristie (45/15) Australian Nationals (80 players) 2nd Place

Events:

3 Sure Gamble

3 Dirty Laundry

1 Infiltration

3 Legwork

3 Account Siphon

2 Inside Job

3 Special Order

1 Emergency Shutdown

2 Hostage

Programs:

3 Faerie

3 Security Testing

3 Desperado

1 Corroder **

1 Passport

1 Yog.0 *

3 Datasucker * * *

1 Crypsis

1 Ninja

1 Atman ***

Hardware:

2 R&D Interface ** **

Resources:

1 Professional Contacts **

2 Same Old Thing

1 Decoy

4 Likes

I’ve watched the video where the eventual winner played an elim match against an Andy player, where he bluffed a Project Atlas to win. Very poor play by the Andy player aside, I’m curious who was commentating on the video, because I recognize one of the voices from Worlds last year, I drafted with him Sunday night with Lukas in the Doubletree hotel. Any idea who I’m talking about?

Do you have an RSS feed set up for your podcast? I’ve got a podcaster I use on my phone for conveniences sake and the feed would be handy for it.

Putting the blog URL into AntennaPod worked for me.

I needed to explicitly add the url into my app, so The Winning Agenda worked for me.

If you’re using itunes you can subscribe via this url → The Winning Agenda

Now available on iTunes!

Episode Two of ‘The Winning Agenda’ is now live over at:

This episode features:

Up and Over’ Card Highlights

• The Panel gives you their take on a few choice cards from the fourth Data Pack of the Lunar Cycle, including their opinions on where they will fit in top tier decks, and how their inclusion will affect the meta.

Deck Tech: Haas-Bioroid Fast Advance

• Wilfy Horig takes us through his corp deck of choice, highlighting the advantages he sees over similar decks, as well as his advice on how to play the deck optimally.

The State of Anarch

• The Panel addresses the current state of Anarch and how the faction fits into the meta. Tom shares his recent Quetzal testing, and Liam talks about his experience coming second at Melbourne Regionals with Noise.

Also; A quick thank-you to those who have entered our ‘Up and Over’ compeition. Entry is open until next monday, so keep those emails coming, and don’t forget to ‘like’ us over at The Winning Agenda.

Thanks for your support so far, and we hope you enjoy the new episode!

The Winning Agenda team.

1 Like

Awesome to see another of these so soon. Will this be a weekly podcast?

Hey Eric!

We are planning on releasing episodes weekly for the foreseeable future :smiley:

Thanks for your interest!

Jesse

1. You missed talking about Astrolabe and Inject somehow, while Mamba is worth a closer look as well in my opinion.
  2. I like the Deck Teck section and I highly anticipate new ideas from you guys. More input regarding deckbuilding is always helpful. Are you aware of Nordrunner’s HBFA deck? I really enjoy that version.
  3. Cache-Noise is pretty much a Tier 1 deck right now, like Kate is as well. Don’t you think so?

I would very much like to hear a discussion about FA versus Glacier type decks concerning strength and tournament viability, due to time and exhaustion issues.

Thanks for you efforts. Keep up the good work!

Hi jawZ,

Thanks for the feedback :smile:

We selected the cards from Up and Over that we think will have the biggest impact on existing archetypes or spawn new competitive archetypes of their own. I don’t feel that Astrolabe is quite there in terms of power, but it is certainly a decent option for people not willing to spend the influence splashing in Desperado to Shaper. However, with Trade In in the pack, splashing for Desperado is easier than ever.

Inject I don’t like at all - it is too unreliable at getting you what you want when you want it.

Mamba is, I think, too inefficient; though the ability to host net damage power counters is something powerful, I would rather play Shinobi in that big aggressive Ice slot.

Glad you like the deck techs. We are discussing our builds of particular archetypes, but that is not to say that other builds are not also viable within those general archetypes. That HBFA deck you linked looks interesting - the synergy between Domestic Sleepers and Archer is certainly something!

In terms of other Tier 1 decks - we certainly aren’t done with deck techs yet! We will continue rolling them out over coming episodes, and hopefully you’ll enjoy some of the other decks we have in the pipe :smile:

Thanks again for the feedback!

Jesse

Hey Guys,

Episode Three is now live!

On Our Agenda:

Playtesting Primer

• Magic Pro Tour Competitor Wilfy Horig takes us through his primer for optimising your playtesting, including the basics; what to look for when testing your decks; and the best way to go about it.

Deck Tech: Near-Earth Hub

• Brian Holland and Liam Prasad give you their insight on NBN Fast Advance, highlighting the differences in their lists; advice on how to play with and against the deck; and their opinion on the most optimal cards.

Deck Tech: Kate ‘Mac’ McCaffrey

• Jesse Marshall gives us the tech on his Nationals-winning Runner deck, including his thoughts on variants of the deck, and how to play a slower runner in a Fast Advance meta.

Deck Lists:

Brian’s NBN

Near-Earth Hub, Broadcast Centre (49)

Agenda (11)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (15)
2 Biotic Labor **** ****
2 Fast Track
3 Hedge Fund
2 Restructure
3 Shipment from SanSan
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (6)
3 Eli 1.0 * * *
3 Wraparound

Code Gate (9)
1 Enigma
2 Lotus Field * *
3 Pop-up Window
3 Quandary

Sentry (2)
1 Rototurret *
1 Shinobi ***

Liam’s NBN

Near-Earth Hub, Broadcast Centre (49)

Agenda (11)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (15)
2 Biotic Labor **** ****
2 Fast Track
3 Hedge Fund
3 Restructure
3 Shipment from SanSan
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (6)
3 Eli 1.0 * * *
3 Paperwall

Code Gate (9)
2 Lotus Field * *
3 Pop-up Window
3 Quandary

Sentry (2)
1 Rototurret *
1 Shinobi ***

Jesse’s Kate

Kate ‘Mac’ McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (45)

3 Professional Contacts
3 Daily Casts

2 Desperado *** ***
3 Clone Chip
2 Plascrete Carapace
3 R & D Interface

3 Sure Gamble
3 Dirty Laundry
3 The Maker’s Eye
2 Indexing
3 Modded

3 Datasucker * * *
3 Atman
1 Corroder **
2 Mimic * *
1 Parasite **
1 Gordian Blade
1 Deus X
3 Self-Modifying Code

2 Likes

Hi Guys!

Episode 4 of The Winning Agenda is live!

On Our Agenda:

‘Up and Over’ Contest Winner

• We reveal the winner of our ‘Up and Over’ Datapack giveaway, and the panel spends a few minutes discussing the winning topic.

Deckbuilding Primer: Corp

• The panel gives their advice on how to go about building a corp deck from the ground up. This includes the basics such as your spread of ice costs and types, as well as advanced concepts like the deck’s density of trashable assets.

Deck Tech: Replicating Perfection

• Liam Prasad takes us through the ins-and-outs of the deck that went undefeated up until the finals of the 2014 Melbourne Regionals, including his thoughts on the optimal RP structure, and the best strategy to employ when playing against the deck.

Be sure to check us out on iTunes and go ‘like’ our page!

RSS: The Winning Agenda
Email: thewinningagenda@gmail.com
Facebook: Redirecting...

Liam’s Jinteki RP List

AGENDA (10)

3x Braintrust
3x NAPD Contract
3x Nisei MK II
1x Philotic Entanglement

ASSET (15)

3x Jackson Howard •••
2x Melange Mining Corp.
3x Mental Health Clinic
2x Shock!
1x Snare!
3x Sundew
1x Tenma Line
UPGRADE (3)

3x Ash 2X3ZB9CY ••••• •

OPERATION (4)

1x Celebrity Gift
3x Hedge Fund

BARRIER (8)

3x Eli 1.0 •••
1x Heimdall 1.0 ••
2x Himitsu-Bako
2x Wall of Static

CODE GATE (2)

1x Enigma
1x Quandary

SENTRY (7)

2x Komainu
1x Rototurret •
2x Shinobi
2x Susanoo-No-Mikoto

1 Like

Episode Five is Live!

On Our Agenda:

‘All That Remains’ Card Highlight

• The Panel gives you their take on a few choice cards from the fifth Data Pack of the Lunar Cycle, including their opinions on where they will fit in top tier decks, and how their inclusion will affect the meta.

Tier-Two Runners: Chaos Theory and Ken ‘Express’ Tenma

• We take a closer look at a couple of tier-two decks; how they work; the strategies behind them; and what’s holding them back from the tier-one slot. We also highlight the advantages and disadvantages these decks have over the top contenders.

Mailbag: Your Questions Answered!

• The Panel answers questions submitted by the Netrunner community, leading into a discussion on what makes a card ‘good’, as well as how to avoid results-oriented thinking when it comes to building your decks.

Please e-mail us your questions and topic suggestions to thewinningagenda@gmail.com or hit us up on twitter @WinningAgenda

1 Like

Great episode. It’s good to hear all the discussion about respecting consistency as a factor in deckbuilding. One of the most common mistakes I see, and even make myself sometimes, is building a deck that’s trying to have too many different game plans. Sometimes the synergies come together and dominate a game, but as often as not you end up with halves of two different game plans in your hand unable to make either one work.

As for the minimum deck size, one other exception is the 59-card, 8x 3-pointer HB glacier deck. It’s not quite there yet, but I think its weakness is less the sacrificed consistency and more the loss of the NAPD effect. If HB gets some strong 5-3s like TFP down the road it could become right sometimes to play 59.

By the way… some of you are really quiet, while others are the right volume. Consider doing some audio post-processing to line things up?

1 Like

Yes please! Love the content and the focus on competitive play, but when I listen in my car I’m constantly having to adjust the volume between being able to hear one person and getting my eardrums blown out by another. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Consistency of volume is definitely something we will be working on for future episodes! Apologies about the difficulties with volume, but glad you’re enjoying the content.

Jesse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Episode 6 is live!

Also a quick shoutout from me - Thanks to everyone I met at Worlds! I had an absolute blast. Particular shoutout to David and Liz from the UK, Hollis, Jesse V, Tim Bunn and all my other opponents, and the many others who came up and said hi over the weekend. I had a great time, and it was great to meet you all! We’ll have a rundown of worlds in a future episode :smile:

On Our Agenda:

Mulligans

• The Panel gives you their advice when it comes to taking a mulligan; when should you do it, what should you look for, and most importantly, how to recover from a bad one.

Deckbuilding Primer: Runner

• The panel gives their advice on how to go about building a runner deck from the ground up. This includes the basics such as your economy package, as well as advanced concepts like that of the optimal breaker suite.

Deck Tech: Haas-Bioroid Glacier

• Judge Tom Daniel gives us the run-down on HB Glacier, from the concept and strategy behind the deck, its weaknesses, and how to pilot it to victory.

Mailbag: Your Questions Answered!

• The Panel answers questions submitted by the Netrunner community.

Be sure to shoot us an e-mail at thewinningagenda@gmail.com and get at us on twitter @WinningAgenda

1 Like