Corporate Town

It’s so much better than snatch and grab for the fact that it would just murder that Kati with only the slightest of tells, a face down, unrezzed card. Sometimes you just need to secure the long game by destroying that Kati, or liberated account, or whatever. It’s worth a hostile takeover to trigger when you get it behind some substantial piece of ice early on in the game, and Blue Sun can get away with this the best, it’s also more expensive to trash than encore, and thickens your r&d a little, if they want to imp it, they can’t imp your ice or economy or whatever.

Also just hits more targets, both in terms of hitting all resources and staying on the board offing things until the runner trashes it.

Does anyone else get really excited when Dan likes a card you don’t think he would like? Well maybe “like” is too strong–in this case maybe “not instantly pan.”

6 Likes

Our world champion/savior doesn’t shit on a card immediately, probably not terrible

2 Likes

Watching the Philly stream on Saturday all I could think was “Corporate Town would totally crush Anarch”. Anyone revisited this card since Whizzard and MaxX started catching on? I’m looking at it in two places:

1. Blue Sun Midseason deck similar to @tomdidiot 's Sunny Side Up

2. Modified Boot Camp Glacier (testing this atm) dropping an NAPD for two Hostile and dropping S&G for Corporate Town.

3. Three I guess, an NEH control/FA deck like some have been playing with Power Shutdown, Lotus Field, Blacklist, etc. A straight swap for Town might be good here, though you would need to run EBC with it, or slot a 2x to find it and make an impact. At first glance it really seems best in NEH in a Nearpad deck, behind a Data Raven or something, but it would make the most impact in a Butcher Shop variant where the money race is all about resources (Kate excluded except maybe ProCo).

I really see a place for this as a tech card right now, but where to slot it? Corp is hard for everyone right now, between Kate/MaxX/Whizzard. Glacier is failing and rush is probably where it’s at if you don’t want to play psi games all day, so Breaking News or Hostile Takeover are probably the best gateways to unlocking this card right now.

a) Why do you think that? What are the resources you’re aiming to nuke, specifically?
b) How do you avoid getting the Town, which you invested at least one agenda point into, Imped or Whizzarded? Or are you saying that nuking one resource is worth a scored agenda in that matchup?

1 Like

Personally, I think if you get the right resource, it’s potentially worth sacrificing a priority requisition for the effect. I did this multiple times, and each time it was worth it. It’s easier to find scoring windows when you take out that Kati

The upcoming contract killer seems better than either corporate town or snatch and grab as Kati hate. It combines the lack of trace and tutorability of corporate town, but doesn’t constrain deckbuilding by the need to sack an agenda.

3 Likes

The rez itself is costing you a(n actually converted) scoring window and 6 credits’ worth of effort, minimum. It better create at least two, preferably three turns worth of scoring windows for that cost… in a single resource trash (because you have to assume they’ll be able to get to it - if they can’t, you could have scored an agenda in that server and have been two points better off, at the very least).

So I’m asking which resource trash causes this. Pretty sure Kati ain’t it. I can maybe see an Aesop having that kind of insane value, against a currently broke Noise who already ditched all other copies and is Blacklisted. Otherwise… I dunno, man.

My best results have been in NBN, pitching a Breaking News I got other value from, or license acquisition. It rarely does severe economic harm, since they can speedbump to trash it, or scramble credits off of liberated and get partial value from drips. In the long term, the Kati stomping helps.

Breaking News -> Closed Accounts -> Corp Town is obviously the dream. Cumbersome, unreliable, but fun.

I’m not a huge fan of corporate town in a supermodernism-style deck. You’re already light on ice (because you’re packing 4-5 cards for the combo), which means it’s difficult to justify setting up another server to keep it in, as you don’t want to overwrite it when you go for the score. You also don’t want to be thorwing away your hostiles, because that puts you further away from your primary win condition (scoring 7 points).

I don’t know about you guys, but it’s hard for me to tell when I can keep the runner out entirely, but it’s easy enough to tell when it won’t matter if they can. There are plenty of decks that use resources as economy, and taking out the runners economy in the right deck, basically website you win if you stay on top if the runner. Taking Kati with a bunch of credits it’s worth it, catching the runner with a liberated before they can take money off is good, Aesop it’s good, the supplier is great. It makes Markus and project ares a little better in that there are less cards to aim for.

Given it hates on the slow but efficient resources, Corporate Town works in slow decks that run sacrificial agendas. I’m not sure these decks exist!

2 Likes

I’ve been playing it in a deck with 8 agendas, one of them being government takeover, and I’ve never felt wrong sacrificing a the pointer to do what needs to be done. Bonus points when the runner sees you are playing it some how, and still loads up Kati because they don’t think you have the balls to sacrifice a three pointer. I’ve won all games I’ve done that in, by the way.
The decks exist.

HB with 7 5/3s and Sleepers might count as a slow deck with sacrificial agendas. Dunno.

I think it’s a great target for License Acquisition (but that means playing License Acquisition which is a 3/1 and isn’t breaking news)

yea contract killer is a great card. it’s weylands first in faction aggressive trap, and it’s great! In-faction IHW sniping or sick kati frags is something I can get behind. or Aesop’s, but he’s that kind of fucker who’ll get shot one day and set up a new shop down the street the next day. i can easily see it being slotted as a 2x into most weyland decks of all types

@cmcadvanced Blue Sun Bootcamp I assume? I would be totally comfortable running Corporate Town in a 3x Atlas/Oaktown/NAPD/2x Firmware or Hostiles deck. Saccing 3 points just seems like such a kick to the nuts. That could be a high-risk-SnG if you wanted it to be.

@Dragar weyland needs a 0/2 or another 1/2, I swear.

I’d much rather sac an oaktown, or better yet a chronos, but you have to play the cards you’re dealt.
I’m going to have to invest heavily to make scoring three pointers possible, corporate town helps ensure a scoring window is there when I need it. Or I play prepaid Kate, and just use it to move a cyber cipher.

I always play games looking to out econ the runner, and generally make it unlikely he’ll win in the long term, while protecting myself during the short game. Off the grid is what I’m playing in blue Sun currently, and you can just do anything with that really.

off the grid is an awesome Blue Sun strategy - honestly surprised it went away as soon as it showed up. Some of those Blue Sun Mushin decks could just win if they got a good start.

Mushin, then play off the grid on whatever you did, right? I just score government takeovers by sheer might, mushin is a luxury

Corporate Town fires at the beginning of every turn- I’ve been working with getting a Hostile scored early against Whizzard/MaxX, and getting it up and going behind a Lotus Field (or enigma in a pinch) asap. Corporate Town is bad if you’re trying to kill Kati but when it’s out and an Anarch can’t just draw through their deck like nothing is wrong, it’s great. You lose Career Fair, you lose Daily Casts, you lose Liberated, you lose Kati, you lose Visage, you lose Earthrise. That’s conservatively 12 -14 cards. Anarch has click intensive setup time and econ, that’s why Career Fair and Earthrise are such a boost to them. I don’t believe it needs to be well protected on into end game- you gotta find a Yog and NRE, and until you do you are going to have to throw resources away, or throw programs away. If you punish them long enough to get momentum they’ve lost so many tools that they can’t hold Knifed Deja David IHW and whatever else forever, and it’s going to be a substantial springboard for you.

4 Likes