Credit Denial Anarch

is it really centered on HQ? there are 3 siphons vs 3 DLR, 2 mediums and an indexing. The game may begin in HQ but it ends in RnD and archives.

the list is simple but simple plans are the best plans in a tournament.

i like the 3x rook. the card does work to either get into HQ without multiple ice in your face to siphon or soft locks the corp on the RnD ice post siphoning so medium and DLR can do work.

the lack of econ is troubling but ive seen a lot of anarch players say you have to be willing to slum it and click for credits if you want to win playing anarch.

It is. If you can’t get a siphon through, two things will happen:

• your econ will never get started
  • the corp will have those 6 credits to rez a Wall of Static on RnD, and 6 more credits two turns later.

Those two things will then cause your simple plan to be completely unviable, as you have a weak econ and are now paying 4-6 credits per run (with the possible addition of hard-to-replace counters).

Hell, Steven said it himself in his article - this is a deck built on getting through a few key runs. If you’re forced to go into a game where multiple efficient runs through ICE are required, you’re just done. And the inability to get into HQ turns the game for you into exactly that.

P.s. DLR is a “kick 'em when they’re down” kind of card. It works great when the corp needs to get back on its feet before they can address the threat, but it will do jack squat for you if your primary plan went to hell. Then it suddenly becomes

• you need a run and an action to install it, and then mill two cards with the rest of your turn
  • the corp says “yeah, right” and trashes it for 2 and an action

If they can afford those 2 credits, and the prerequisite run costs you more than zero, it’s a pretty trade for you. Hell, even if the run is free, you’re usually better if spending that turn improving your board position instead.

If you can have a turn of “vamp to zero, install DLR, mill two” then you’re using that DLR slot efficiently. But, guess what - HQ access :smiley:

I’ve never been a fan of DLR. But I became slightly more of a fan when I played against a guy who ran archives first turn to get it (two as it turned out) on the table. Having it already down makes it much more of a threat than only playing it once tagged. It means that when you land the Siphon or the Vamp you can immediately mill three and the corp has to spend their whole turn to avoid losing another four (or five with Joshua).

I really like Steven’s deck, but I do struggle to follow the economy. My Reina tag-me mulligans to look for Armitage, it’s that important (more so that Siphon in many ways). With only 2x of them and no Cyberfeeder I don’t see how he sustains an economy against Closed Accounts or when shut out of HQ.

Was that me? :wink: But yeah, it’s key to get DLR on the table before you intend to pick up the tag to turn 'em on. Likewise, I’ll drop Joshua B. early but wait to turn him on until it is time to bring out the blowtorch and corkscrew. I use the resource suite as a “you better get off the mat soon” threat: if they spend a turn wiping it out to go back down close to broke, I’m pretty happy: it’s usually milled 3-4 cards, provided a timewalk turn, and cost the corp 4-6c they really wanted to use to score or replace ICE my parasites have destroyed.

2 Likes

Now you mention it…

And the time I was like “what’s he doing”, then you dropped the 2x DLRs (and a Fall Guy?) and it all made sense.

Fall Guy helps a lot, in my experience, which is missing from his list because 3x Siphon. Corp gets a lot less trash-happy when they know they’ll have to do it more than once to have the dang effect they want to have, even if they’ve got more money.

Doubling up on installed DLRs if you have the chance helps with that, too.

Played this deck today for the first time and I want to share my experience with it.
First game, played against a Wayland scorched/combo deck:
Spent the first few turns setting up and searching for a siphon. By that point, the corp was at about 20 credits, and scored his gtf and hostile takeover. I managed to grab a cleaners from R&D in the process. Next turn siphoned him, dejavo the siphon, siphon again - he was on 2 credits after that.
Then, got a dlr and milled 4 cards to win the game.
Second game, the same deck:
he fortified HQ first thing, I took my time and sniped a few Agendas he tried to score behind one ice. Installed a medium and smacked r&d for the win.
Overall, even without the siphon, I still won.
edit: Just remembered that I actually did manage to land a double siphon turn mid game. :stuck_out_tongue:

Retidus ad anima! Come back to liife thread!

Just ignore it if it’s inappropriate, but we could probably use this topic with the new O&C cards. The ones I think may reinvigorate this archetype are Eater/Keyhole, Vigil, Wanton Destruction, Day Job, and, to some extent, Valencia with Blackmail.

How’s this for a start? Goes all in on Eater, Parasuckers, and Hades Shard to score, but there’s a Spooned and a Crypsis, so yolo. Itinerant Protesters really is the 51st card of 51st (46th?) cards, but I left it it goddamnit.

So Vigil will be humming, all three centrals will be under heavy duress, and Siphons will landing early and often. Won’t matter that there’s virtually 7 traditional economy cards in a 50-card deck.

Angel of…Pain

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (20)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)[color=#4169E1] ••••• ••••• ••[/color]
1x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
2x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
2x DĂŠjĂ  Vu (Core Set)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
1x Itinerant Protesters (Order and Chaos)
1x Spooned (Order and Chaos)
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (5)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
2x Vigil (Order and Chaos)

Resource (14)
3x Data Leak Reversal (Future Proof)
1x Fall Guy (Double Time)[color=#4169E1] •[/color]
1x Hades Shard (First Contact)[color=#708090] •[/color]
1x Investigative Journalism (Order and Chaos)
2x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
3x Joshua B. (Cyber Exodus)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains)[color=#708090] •[/color]

Icebreaker (4)
1x Crypsis (Core Set)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)

Program (7)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Keyhole (True Colors)
3x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

For econ denial I think Kim is your man. Otherwise Celeb Gift/Sweeps Week etc make you sad. Definately want to try it though.

1 Like

I think either Kim or Whizzard are the best bets. Kim is nice because of all the operation trashing, but if your meta is econ asset heavy, then Whizz is the man.

Don’t forget about the girls! Nothing wrong with Reina and Quetzal.

Valencia is a bit of an odd choice though. The credit denial anarchs have a bunch of really powerful cards, but no consistency. Do you really want increased decksize? There’s so little influence left for stuff that helps your consistency in these decks.

The other question is if you really want to attack the cards in their hand in the same deck as where you want to attack their bank. I don’t know if one helps the other there, suspect it is actually a bit contraproductive.

Wanton Destruction is perfect for hitting a Corp that has spent a few turns broke and is about to recover, Money cards pile up unplayed in hand, probably along with agendas. More pressure on HQ is fine with the Siphons and Vamps, because you basically don’t want to run R&D unless they are too broke to rez anything. You’re basically using cards like Siphon and Vamp to improve your run efficiency on R&D.

1 Like

A characteristic of Anarch Credit denial decks is the reliance on AI to save deckspace for DLRs and Josh.B’s. I figured Valencia’s 50 cards would actually make this easier, but it didn’t. I had to trim my first draft down from 57 cards, and I still don’t have a solution for Wraparound.

The Quetzal version of denial decks look good as her ID saves deckspace and allows for easier siphons early. It hasn’t become a staple lately though, and I wonder how O&C can change that.

I think Day Job will be a nice upgrade from Armitage in these decks. Beyond that, there’s a lot of exciting new options, like how to integrate Eater and silverware, or how to use Fester with Incubator, Harbinger, and Hivemind.

I get that that’s where the agendas pile up, but against a cred denial anarch, isnt that the first server they want to shore up? Wanton destruction wants the same access, but doesn’t exactly help you keep getting access to HQ. It’s a card that’s trying to win there and then.

Generally you are threatening multiple angles with these kinds of decks. The obvious heavy HQ pressure, the threat of a series of medium runs on r&d, the resources that either mill or give the anarch really too much. The idea is to spread the corp thin in every way possible, and strike where they are weakest, hopefully with ice destruction.

I don’t see how hand destruction helps you further this goal, while the siphon threat should already big enough for them to really focus on HQ. I mean, there’s an old deck running hemorrhage, but crucially that’s threatening the hand by gaining value off the other servers.

You need them to commit, not just rez when you play one of your three Siphons and otherwise let you have to run through a Pup or Pop-Up or something.

a) Works with Eater
b) Forces a rez (pretty important - how do you know if you can pull of a Siphon? How do you get them to commit their credits?)
c) Accesses/trashes lots of cards.

You want them to focus on HQ. Unless you’re using Siphon for your sole economy (which hopefully you’re not), you want them to have rezzed ice on HQ. Wanton makes them do that, or lose a whole bunch of cards. The added synergy for taking out the recovery options that piles up is a bonus.